Thread: SD Broadcaster or Nocaster clean in Tele bridge?

Forum Member

SD Broadcaster or Nocaster clean in Tele bridge?

I'm looking for a good rock/blues tone in my tele-a 50s MIJ reissue. I am familiar with the SD Broadcaster, and I'm wondering if the extra bucks for the Fender Nocaster is worth it. (about $30 more + wait time).

Forum Member
    I've tried both and like the Duncan Broadcaster more. Duncan also makes an Alnico ll Neck pickup worth looking into.

Forum Member
    The Older 9.0k NOS gets my vote for Rock/Blues,
    I got the 5-2 & the Broadcaster, also a 8.0k custom, none of these are fat enough IMHO

ST

I have a SD STL-1B Vintage Broadcaster that I bought in 1986 that measures 9.5k. When the right light-weight Tele comes my way I'm going to use it.
    Don't be funken with my Tele ;~)

Forum Member
    check out the peter florence Voodoo broadcaster pickup. I know people with real broadcasters and this pickup sound idencical, and these people use these pickups in their gigging guitars.

Forum Member
    I bought a Voodoo 9.98K Nocaster from Peter last week. It looks like the real thing with the zinc baseplate and location of solder drop. Sounds like it too!

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace

Re: SD Broadcaster or Nocaster clean in Tele bridge?

Originally posted by mattb
    I'm looking for a good rock/blues tone in my tele-a 50s MIJ reissue. I am familiar with the SD Broadcaster, and I'm wondering if the extra bucks for the Fender Nocaster is worth it. (about $30 more + wait time).
    Between the SD Broadcaster and Fender No-caster, the Duncan sounds better to my ear. For me, the SD Broadcaster is perfect. Clean when you need it but dirts up great also. I will recomend the SD Broadcaster anyday.

Keep us posted on what you choose. ;)

Forum Member
    I've tried a SD Broadcaster and liked it OK, but if you have an ash body my fav is the DiMarzio Pre-BS. Have been told it sounds kinda flat in an alder body, but don't know from experience. My friend has an 80's model 52 RI, and the DiMarzio SMOKES the stock bridge pickup, which didn't sound too bad in the first place. Great big fat tone. When I built my last Tele, gave it a Seth Lover up front and the Pre-BS at the bridge. Good match. If you like that Jimmy Page Tele tone, you could do a lot worse.

Forum Member
    OK, the tele expeiment is over and I came out with two winners. First off, I sold the MIJ reissue when I got my hands on a white blonde/ash/rosewood AmSe tele that the previous owner put some Suhr Fat-t Pickups in. I never heard of these pups before, but they sound great-thick tone and complex. The guy changed the bridge out to a stew-mac brass bridge and changed some caps/resistors also. This is one fat soundind tele and has great sustain.

The second tele is an early Hamer T-51 ash/maple with the SD broadcaster in the bridge and a '54 in the neck. This guitar is lightweight and sounds fantastic also-in more traditional tele way. Its not as thick as the AmSe but it has a great percussive ryhythm sound with singing leads and very resnsive tone knob.

Teles rule!!!