Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So how many people here own Squiers?

So how many people here own Squiers?

I just picked one up used last weekend (Affintity Strat) for $75 and I really dig this little guitar. This is the 4th Squier I've owned over the years and for the dough, they are some pretty cool guitars. I actually think I'll be holding on to this one for a while. Any other Squier owners here?

Old Tele man

Re: So how many people here own Squiers?

none...at the moment...but, since FMIC dropped the FAT Tele with maple neck from their regular Telecaster lineup and only offer it in the Squier FAT Tele, I may be "joining ya'll" pretty soon...

Yeah, I've got the Tele Custom II. You know, the one with the P-90s in it. I've got the blonde version.
    Also, Somewhere back in the mid 80s, I picked up a Squire Strat for the kids to learn on. It's one of the Korean made ones. It went through three boys and now resides with the youngest and still plays fine. It's a little beat up, but it plays fine.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

I bought one of those orange Squier strats for my girlfriend. I use it as a backup at gigs sometimes. It's not too bad and it's a cool color... depending on what you eat before you play...

I've owned several of the japanese Squires. I only have a neck still that I play very frequently. It's on my crazy pink one with the gibson humbuckers and double ring Klusons.

Yeah, my first Strat was made by Squier. Heavy as a FEW bricks. Nice neck though.

My very first Fender was a Squier, one of the 84-87 E-series MIJ's. I still have it, and will probably keep it forever, not just for sentimental value, but also because it's a great player.
    Knowledge is the small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify. -- Ambrose Bierce

I have a 3 pickup Bullet stat I use for testing pickups. I got it for $50.00. Up till about three weeks ago it has a $180.00 set of hand wound pickups in it. I sold the pickups... put back in a set of Fenders that came from a CIJ 54RI...

I can't find the stock pickups. They sounded pretty good, too.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Got a Squire partocaster...Squire body repainted kandy lime green, rosewood Squire neck with big Strat headstock, Squire Tom Delonge guard and pup...my son's rawk machine...soon to be my next experimental project.
    Hopeless modaholic...

P.O.S. squier 97 bass. awesome geetar, too bad i broke the neck 4 years ago...but WTF, it works, i get paid, and there are too many comas in this post. a good guitar is a good guitar. PERIOD mofo.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I don't own one , but I've played several that felt as good as any USA strat I've owned. Fortunately, I've never been a bigot about guitars, I couldn't care less what brand, where they are made or what they are made of...if they play well and serve the purpose, I like 'em! Hence the reason I had a Dan Armstrong Lucite P.O.S. back in the 70's sitting right next to a Firebird and an SG....go figure
    I broke my liver

I've always got one or two around here it seems. They're pretty good for what they are and some are much better than they have a right to be. The necks are pretty good on them too. Most have had the typical Fender Profile neck but one or two have had a thin Wizardish type neck. The bodies aren't too bad depending on when and where they were made. The Squier II models have laminated bodies but most of the others I've come across have decent 2 or 3 piece bodies. I currently have a rare USA Squier in the pile.

No really...
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

I like mine too. The neck is pretty decent and it plays well. But since it is a Bullet.. The body is really thin. I've changed all the guts, but I can't change that cheap switch because the body is not deep enough.... So I have to spray tuner cleaner in it every couple of weeks. I've even shielded it, and I can tell you, that ply wood soaks up a lot of shielding paint!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

I agree with photoweborama. I have a made in USA Squier that doesn't LOOK made in USA. It definitely has Korean pickups and pots, along with no-name tuners. The neck is stamp dated 1988 or 1989 (hard to read). The trem was replaced before I got it.

Maybe the body and neck are USA, but everything else is not?

Anyway, I like the early 80's Squiers that are 3 bolt 70's style, as well as the Protone series from a few years back. I'd change the pickups in any Squier I bought though.

OH! You wouldn't want to change out the P-90s in my Tele Custom II, they sing like Ethel Merman! Great set of pick-ups. In fact almost worth the price of the entire guitar. As in, "I bought these great P-90s and got a free guitar to put them in.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

:hee
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I have a Squier Pro-Tone Strat that sounds wonderful. It's lightweight ash and has alnico pickups.

The neck's way too skinny though!

I have a Sqier Affinity Tele, butterscotch
    I've repl the pickguard to black & put a set of Nocasters in it, rewired the vol & tone ctrls to Fender original
    LOVE IT

Forum Member

Squier 51

Strat Bod and Tele Neck.

Love it.

I've got a 2003 Standard black sparkler, with Kinman Traditionals. Love it to bits.
    Noticed though since I got my 50th Anni that the strings are too close together so she'll have to have another trip to my tech for a new nut...

sgt

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

I have a 1983 MIJ Squier Telecaster ("SQ" series) which I put some Texas specials in and stripped the poly finish off of the neck. This guitar is top notch. I also have a MIJ Squier "Wayne's World" '62 reissue Stratocaster which has a re-finished (nitro), re-radiused neck (10") with med. jumbo frets., Dimarzio blue velvet pups, new switch and pots, etc....what a cool guitar!
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Forum Member

I bought a 3 pickup Bullet for my son so he would be less interested in my more expensive guitar. After converting it from a top loader to a string thru hardtail, adding some better tuners, and setting it up how I like it, it is a pretty good guitar. It gets more use than my other one now because it's always plugged in and ready while my other one is safely in its case.

Old Tele man

the olde'...WORKHORSE versus SHOWHORSE syndrom!

Forum Member

I have a buck and a half in my wallet for a 51 in Blonde. First one I see, I'll grab and walk to the front desk and pay.
    Strats and Mustangs and Coronados...OH MY!

I have at least 6.........they rawk.

They get such a bad rap!

I got $50 right here for anybody that wants to sell theirs.
    Imanidiot.

I just sold my Squier Pro-Tone to an friend who put a Warmoth neck with a scalloped rosewood board on it.
    It sounds and plays wonderful!

Used Squier guitars since'85 HAd a MIJ contemporary strat for 10 years as my main squeeze through 2 bands. I have had a Squier Korean Tele for nearly 10 years, and have recently bought a Squier Standard Jazz Bass. Whatever my main instrument has been, US Strat, Jackson,Les Paul, SG, for the last 20 years I have always had a squier to keep them nervous!
    Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.
    C. S. Lewis

www.myspace.com/ronnieleslie
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...36&ref=profile
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/6070659...7626159170245/

Forum Member

I used to own an affinity strat but I sold it for $80. I just never used it anymore. But the new vintage modified series looks really cool. Especially that new Squier '51. It looks awsome.

I keep lookin' at that butterscotch '51...

Gotta try one out...
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

I play a Korean Pro-Tone with Kinman AVn pups. It sounds really good and very comfortable to play.
    ~Roll it, and I'll just feel something~

I used to have an '84 MIJ Squier Bullet with 2 HBs (& split buttons). It was my beater, basically. It was very well made. $80 used!

I got the original Squier that started me on Fenders. A 12-year-old kid loaned it to me and I was so blown away by the tone, I started buying Fenders after that.

He sold it to me for 50.00. But I've since changed everything on it. Pickguard, US Fender pups, CTS tone and volume, push pull for 7 switch positions, AS wiring for bridge tone, Pearleoid pickguard which barely fit, new switch and jack, foil tape shielding...
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

I own a Squier Precision Bass Special 5 String, and I must say its a very cool , and extremely cheap bass.. the only flaw it has are the pickups, but once you get them replaced, the bass is as good as any U$600+ bass... the neck is BROAD!!! it has the same string spacing as any 4st Precision Bass.. so you can imagine how comfortable it is for slap. The neck itself pays its price!!!

Hi...been ghosting here for a bit....

I've got three--a Cherry Burst Strat, 20th Anniversary Telecaster, and as of today, a Jagmaster II!

I'm a BIG Squier fan!!

Bill

I have one that I picked up in a used music shop here...it sat there for 6 months and when the price dropped to just over $100 I grabbed it. It's a '96 mim squire...new electronics, pickups, grover tuners(the model that looks like klusons), refinished the neck in an amber hue, new decal while i was at it....in the interest of honesty though, I stamped mim and the serial number on the neck plate...new bridge saddles, Fender brown tortoise pickguard-it's mint green under the tortoise layer-wierd, but nice. Spec wise it's every bit a MIM Standard and then some...I only bought it because it played well, was nice and resonant unplugged. I've got barely under $200 into it and it may hit $250 when I spring for Callaham blocks for both my guitars. Best investment in a guitar I ever made....more than that it was fun tearing it apart and, even though it played fine, it equals or surppasses the best mim standards out there that I've played.

The finished product:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cspedd...bum?.dir=/7c81

CheapStrat-
    Did that Fender pickguard fit on the Squier without having to drill new holes?

I have a 2 tone Sunburst Squier Affinity Strat. My wife has bought it for me for Xmas. It is the Frontman Pack with Fender amp. She also has got me a Marshall Jackhammer OD/Dist pedal and a stereo Frontline Chorus II pedal off the kids.

Damn, I love my wife!!!!

Edit : Can I insert a photo from my pc or do I have to put it on my website first?
    Nothing's forgotten...nothing is ever forgotten

B
    oss GT-100 COSM Amp Effects Processor & FS6 Dual Footswitch

Last edited by JestersTear1; 12-30-2004 at 02:30 AM.
    Nothing's forgotten...nothing is ever forgotten

B
    oss GT-100 COSM Amp Effects Processor & FS6 Dual Footswitch

Forum Member

i have an old bullet strat that was my first guitar. i also have a vista series jagmaster that i love. top notch quality and sound IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    Yeah, I've got the Tele Custom II. You know, the one with the P-90s in it. I've got the blonde version.
    Those look pretty nice. How's it play?

I had one of the first Squire Strats (black/black) I had ever seen, back in the summer of '83, the week after I saw SRV, either June or July. Had to sell it a few months later to pay the rent. It played pretty well, but I don't recall it being particularly "stratty" sounding.

[edited to add...apparently the show was 7/24/83 - a couple of weeks after the El Macombo show. Show had a very similar set list, but IIRC, the show I saw was a bit better. Bought that strat ~ the first week of August.]
    Last edited by Kap'n; 12-27-2004 at 07:50 AM.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks