Thread: Screwing Around!

Forum Member

Screwing Around!

Can anyone help me out by telling me what the thread size is (width and pitch?) for the little allen-head saddle height adjusters on the Classic Series 70’s guitars? I want to replace them on mine because I can never find an allen-key to fit them and end up using a smaller one at an angle to try and turn it! Doing this, I think I’ve rounded them off nicely so even if I get the right wrench I still won’t be able to turn it! :S Does anyone know what size wrench should fit them? The saddles are the vintage-style ones with Fender etched on either side of the hole. What type should I get to replace them? I’m really at a loss on this one. I tried swapping some from a new Squier I have but the pitch of thread even isn’t the same. I’ve seen these types on Allparts: No 4-40 x 3/8 (inch) or M3 x 8 (mm). One’s metric and one’s imperial obviously. Which one do I need? What does 4-40 and M3 mean? The other number is the length I take it. Hope someone can help me out on this! Thanks...

Re: Screwing Around!

1/16" works too... little bugger
    Moe Humble
    = = = = = = =
    Pay NO attention to that man behind the curtain....

I was pulling hairs trying to find a wrench for my Jimmie V Strat. I went to the guitar shop, pulled down a Mex Strat and asked them for the right wrench to adjust the hex screws. They got the smallest one they had, test fit it and I went home. I'll be damned if it was still too big. I ended up filing it down, kinda worked. My pops gave me a nice set of allen wrenches a few months later, just below the 1/16 wrench, I see a tiny .050 wrench. I try it out...perfect fit. I don't know why it's not all standard, but I have the right tool now.
    It may be better to take your Strat to a local shop and test fit any replacement screws, since there seems to be variations in size.
    Hopeless modaholic...

Forum Member

I can sympathise butnut! Thanks for the insight. I'll try some out.

This question always kills me. Why would anyone knock themselves out trying to find a specific teeny tiny allen wrench? By the time you drag your butt around town and waste gas (and time) you could've went to ACE hardware. Sets are inexpensive and a staple if you're doing any kind of guitar work. You don't even need to get good ones. Buy cheap, get both metric and SAE. These things aren't exactly exotic, but for some reason everyone thinks you have to go to a guitar shop to find one.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Forum Member

Actually, 0.050" isn't usually included in imperial sets I've looked at. Granted, if you spend £18 on a Roadie Rench then you'll have all but isn't that then excessive price to pay? Rather go to a guitar shop (who isn't always looking for an excuse?) when you're next around town I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Fish
    Actually, 0.050" isn't usually included in imperial sets I've looked at.

Odd. I build guitars for fun and do setups professionally. I've never not been able to find the proper size in a regular kit, metric or SAE.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Forum Member

Odd. Must be the pond.

hehe, I live in the Pacific pond. Yeah, I have 3 set of allen wrenches, I have a lot of tools doing car repairs and my old furniture biz. But I did'nt have that real small wrench, just lucky my pops gave me that one...kinda odd to see the sizes listed in fractions, and the last small wrench in decimal...like it was special.
    Hopeless modaholic...