Thread: CIJ, MIJ, JV? What's the difference?

Forum Member

CIJ, MIJ, JV? What's the difference?

Howdy ALL!

Crafted in Japan?

Made in Japan?

Japanese Vintage?

What's up with all of these categories? Thanks in advance.

The first Japanese made Feners that rolled out of Fuji-gen Gakki were '57 RI Strats that I think got the JV serial No prefix.

Made in Japan appeared on the guitars made from the late 80's through to about '98, when for some un fathomable reason they switched to "Crafted in Japan".

All sorts of conspiricy theories have abounded about this change. As far as I know they are all compete bollocks ;) My 50's Tele is MIJ, my '62 RI Jazzmaster is MIJ, my '98 '72 Thinline RI is CIJ. All good solid guitars.

- Steve K

Forum Member
    Howdy Steve and ALL!

Thanks! I heard that the JV's were supposed to be the pinnacle and the CIJ's close behind. Could just be someone's marketing style, who knows?!!!!

I just scored an '86 MIJ Esquire Custom, all original and in quite nice shape at that. I'm happy! If the rest of the MIJ/CIJ/JV's are this good, I'm gonna pay more attention as to what's on the block regarding these geetars!

Forum Member
    Last edited by Carbatron; 03-14-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Forum Member
    JV**** serial number guitars on the plate were made for the Japanese market in the early 80's and were among the earliest Japanese reissues made in the Gakki plant.

MIJ were imported into the US roughly from 85' -99' when the same guitars (well Tele Customs went from yellowed to snow-white bindings) started showing up with "Crafted in Japan" in script at the base of the neck instead of "Made in Japan" in printed letters

Initially many people thought the change had to do with the fact that the guitars may have started to be made somewhere else. I don't think that notion ever panned out.
    Last edited by Jim barth; 07-27-2002 at 04:05 PM.

Forum Member
    Nice post Jim, thanks.

I thought JV stood for Jimmie Vaughan...

Originally posted by Henrik
    I thought JV stood for Jimmie Vaughan...
    Me too!
    ~Gregory

I was told today by a local guitar shop that Crafted in Japan meant the parts were made here in Japan (necks, bodies, etc) and assembled elsewhere (Taiwan, Korea, etc). 2 stores i went to didnt want anything to do with Crafted in Japan guitars because of the problems they have when they arrive (needs more work to make it sellable).

Dana
    My Gear:
    Tokai Love Rock LS200
    Orville LP Custom - Ebony
    ART SGX 2000 Express, X-15 Ultrafoot
    Crate GFX 212T
    Tobias 5 String Deluxe Bass

Forum Member
    Thanks ALL for your replies. From all of the stories I've heard, I had a gut feeling that there was more to it than just different labelling. There's got to be a quality component to it otherwise every response would read "They are the same thing......."

Thanks again.