Thread: EMG's

Forum Member

EMG's

Howdy All, I have a Am standard strat(ashbody). I was wondering if I buy a pre wired pickgurd w/ the David Gilmore setup if it will fit in without redrilling. It's a 2001 model strat if this helps.. Thanks

The DG20 system will drop in without any routing. Sometimes getting the battery to fit just right without causing a hump in the pickguard can be tough, but if you work at it for a few minutes you'll get it. I always wrap the battery in electrical tape before I install the system. The only thing you have to do is unsolder the output jack, plop the new guard in and run the wires to the output jack and resolder the connections. They make it a very easy setup to install. Good luck!

PS: If you have any other questions, feel free to email me. I've installed about 5 DG20's in guitars for other people.
    Last edited by ShawnRT; 08-22-2002 at 08:56 PM.

Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply ShawnRT. I haven't bought one yet,just a consideration at this point.Bought that was one of my main worriers. And of course the sound of them.But if Gilmore likes it I'll orobably like it too.

I'm not sure if he ever uses them in the studio, but if you play up on stage with a ton of effects they are great. No hum, you never pick up anything from lighting, etc. I've played them and for just jamming around I prefer real vintage single coils, but if I were in his shoes (and wouldn't that be cool) I'd be using them too

Forum Member

DG20

Gilmour used them in the studio on Momentary Lapse and The Division Bell. You can really hear a good example of the EXG control being used at the beginning of Coming Back To Life (studio version).

Thanks for the info Richieirons, I'll have to pull out that cd and listen for that. You a big Gilmour fan as well? I was thinking about picking up one of those MF $649 specials and putting the DG20 system in there but I guess I missed my chance. Good to see another Floyd fan on here

Forum Member

Am I a fan?

Oh, I'm a MASSIVE Gilmour fan. He's taught me pretty much everything I know about playing.

It's also because of him that I tried EMG's - and discovered just what a fantastic instrument a Strat becomes with them installed.