Thread: Setting up a Strat Tremolo

Setting up a Strat Tremolo

I'm not too familiar with setting up Fenders, so I have a quick question for those in the know.
    I recently aquired a mid 90s, MIJ 60s reissue Strat that I have really fallen in love with (for now). The problem is that the tremolo is real stiff and the springs creak when I use it. It only has three springs in the back so I'm wondering if I can loosen the two big screws that go into the body in the back. How long are these screws? I bought this guitar NOS a few weeks ago, is it possible the springs are shit and should be replaced?

Any help appreciated.

The tension of the springs is controlled by how far the claw is screwed in. Those screws are about 2" long.

If the claw is screwed all the way to the top of the tremelo cavity then it will be stiff to pull the tremelo bar.

If you loosen the screws the bar will be easier to move but watch the back of the bridge if it now sits against the body flush loosening the spring tension will raise the bridge up off the body and you might have to make some minor intonation and setup adjustments.

I usually set mine up so the spring claw is about 1/2" from the top of the tremelo cavity with 3 springs.

Marcondo. . .

Thanks for the reply.