Thread: Which headphones to buy for my POD and why?

Forum Member

Which headphones to buy for my POD and why?

Getting a nice POD is one thing, but the headphones also somewhat shape the sound, to some extent.

hich ones should I consider and why? I'd favor closed headphones, since my fiance would probably have a fit if she could hear everything I play. Since music would also be played through those headphones (planning on getting a cheap mixer to play along MP3s), they'd need to be able to reproduce music well.

Re: Which headphones to buy for my POD and why?

My personal preference (IMHO - YMMV) is Ultrasone's I have the 550's and I've worn the 650's.
    fwiw, I also own Fostex T-20s and Sony 7506's, plus various other inexpensive models including some lower end Sennheiser's.

The spacial imaging in the Ultrasones is excellent. They are extremely comfortable and I can wear them extended periods with little fatigue. Plus the EQ doesn't have the high/low 'bump' the Sony's have, the Ultrasones are much 'flatter'.

What do you want to spend on a set of cans? For under $100, I can recommend the Sony MDR-V600 Studio Monitors. I use them with my POD and they sound great. There are several others for under $100 that offer decent sound. Grado SR-60 and SR-80 get consistent high praise from audiophile publications. Sennheiser, AKG, and Koss all make good sounding sets in the bargain price range. If you want spring for serious professional audio quality, you can spend several hundred dollars.
    Knowledge is the small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify. -- Ambrose Bierce

I have audio Technica ATH-M40fs headphones. The are studio reference headphones. I think they are about $70.00. Problem is that even though they sound great, they are rather cheaply made and feel like they will fall apart soon. So maybe not a good choice...

I also have a set of Aiwa HP-X223's Forget it... All midrange...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I recommend & use the Grado SR-60. If you search the Internet you can pick them up for around $60. I got them with a discount code from Cambridge Soundworks. The sound awesome for practicing or listening to music. Very clear sounding with an extremely smooth midrange. They are open headphones so expect some sound leakage.

Some good reference sites are:

www.headphone.com
    www.headfi.com
    www.headwize.com