Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keef's Micawber Tele.......a replica project

Forum Member

Keef's Micawber Tele.......a replica project

I posted this at the FDP forum a month or so ago. I posted it to share with other Keef fanatics what I've been working on for the last 2 years. Of course that, unintentionally, invited one gomer to criticize ad nauseum my intent with this project. He wouldn't let up that I have it strung for 6 string rather than 5 string playing. "I've missed the feel of Keith's Micawber by having it strung for 6 string play". It wasn't my intent to build a guitar I couldn't play. I am in no way able to play alternate tunings with 5 strings in any musical way. So either this is strung and tuned for 5 string open G............then hang it on the wall....................or set it up where I can actually play it.......6 strings, standard tuning.

By the same argument, how dare the SRV strat be called a replica of Lenny when most people don't down tune a half step..........nor do they string it up with 12s. Damn! Its still a Lenny replica!

Oh, and the same guy was all over me for being so "self congratulating". Man, forgive me for being happy with how this turned out!

Regardless, it turned out pretty good and I PLAY IT! If keef would like a go on it I'd happily pull the bottom E and tune it to open G for him. No worries Keith........I'll set it up how you like it.

Anyway, here is my "cut and paste" of the same post from the FDP.......enjoy:

Have a look at the shots in my "Micawber" album.

http://www.msnusers.com/NewR8/micawber.msnw?albumlist=2

Here's the story:

I bought a '52 American Vintage re-issue in 2001. Great guitar and light as a feather at 6.5lbs, resonated like mad. But I just couldn't get used to how orange the neck was and especially that horrid poly finish. Yes Fender uses nitro on these but ONLY on the top coat, the rest is poly. I didn't realize how thick it was until one day when I removed the pickgaurd to adjust the neck pickup and when I looked at one of the screw holes I could see that the finish was easily thicker than a dime!! UGH!!

So off to my friend the luthier I went. I wanted him to strip it and refinish it in a real '50's Tele finish with 100% thin nitro. Along the way I had him route out the hole for the electronics a little more square at the ends......just like it should be for a '52.

He had a HELL of a time getting the finish off. NONE of his chemical stripers would do it and in the end it was removed VERY carefully with tools......a lot of it came off in sheets!

Well it was taking some time because of his busy schedule so in the meantime I was jonesing for a Nocaster......which I bought. So the fate of the '52 was about to change. I thought what will I do with 2 similar Teles..........I'd LOVE to have a Tele with a humbucker in the neck like Keef....I'll do it! I had my tech route it out for a humbucker.

As this was being done my crazy mind got thinking again.....hmm....I've already modded and probably devalued this guitar......what the hell, I'll do this right! So the search began for the BEST photos I could find of Micawber. WOW is that tough!! There are a million pics of Keef with Micawber but most are concert shots that are little to no help for getting a good look at little details. So the best (and only) pictures I had that were of any help were 3 pictures from the December 1988 Issue of Guitar World. Duchossoir's Tele book was also a lot of help.

By the best of my hours of staring at photos I determined his Tele is definitely a late '53 or early '54.

This meant I needed to do this to the guitar:
    - Correct finish
    - Round back neck 0.92" at 1st fret, 1.0" at 12th
    - Sperzel tuners, all chrome, correct buttons
    - Real bone nut
    - Round string tee
    - 12th fret markers wide spacing
    - All screws phillips head
    - Brass flat bridge plate
    - Brass individual saddles
    - 60's style vol and tone controls
    - Strat switch tip
    - CRL 3 way switch (ditched chinese one)
    - Wired as 60's Tele with 0.05uf tone cap and 0.001uf cap on the volume.
    - Custom rewound (7.4K) '52 vintage bridge pickup by Lindy Fralin with both "G" and "D" magnets exchanged for taller ones ala Keith's Tele (the others remained flush with the bobbin), and white cloth used to final wrap the coil.
    - Gibson Burst Bucker PAF (7.5K) not wax potted but magnet removed and potted to eliminate feedback. Cover is made by "Dead Mint Club" in Japan.....it has the proper squareish corners as 50's PAFs did.....not the softer more rounded ones on 60's to present humbuckers. The cover is German nickel silver and thin like the origionals with NO final nickel plate so it also dulls and tarnishes quickley like the origionals.
    - Pickgaurd cut for Gibson mounting ring rather than the usual humbucker mounted directly to gaurd.
    - A poodle case as would have been used in 53/54.

Final weight just under 7lbs.

The challenges:

1) Correct mod to bridge pickup
    2) Finding a bridge plate that fit the vintage mounting screw position but didn't have the new "side" but rather "centre" attachment of saddles to intonation screws - THIS WAS TOUGH.
    3) Ditched the saddles that came with the bridge since they were cast zinc garbage.....substituded proper brass saddles.
    4) Issues getting the finish right.
    5) THE NECK!!

The neck was a hassle! I was going to use the origional one from the '52 but everything was comming together so nicely that it would have brought down the effect and final mojo of the project. I parused the internet thinking Warmoth would be my best bet but then I saw B. Hefner's site.....long story short....2 VERY poor quality necks later I went back to my gut feeling.....Warmoth. I ordered a neck from warmoth.....a boat shape neck, but once I had it here and finished I realized I made a mistake and it should have been a round baseball bat profile for a '53/'54 Tele. Oh well, this needs to be perfect now so off to e-bay with that neck and back to Warmoth for number 4.

The final and perfect neck was a vintage Tele type routed for Sperzels, 12th fret markers wide spacing, 1" thick from end to end. This neck is only available as a 1" thick neck so my luthier shaved it down to my specifications for me before he finished it. Now it is the look and dimensions of the average '53/'54 neck. Fender repalcement necks are more 'v' and thinner than what they should be...12th fret markers are narrow spacing......so they wouldn't be correct for Micawber.

So there it is. It took almost 2 years to get it done for all the waiting on parts, finishing work, rethinking and redoing things. In the end this is the CLOSEST replica to Keith Richard's Micawber that exists in the world I am absolutely sure of that fact. If there is another I'd love to hear the story on how that came to be.....there may be other crazy Richard's fans like me out there doing the same thing.

The only things that are different are:
    1) 'slight' difference in headstock shape near low 'E' tuner.
    2) No relicing.......new condition
    3) not a real PAF
    4) saddles are slightly different......closest possible match.
    5) Strap locks....gotta do it! Vintage type buttons are in the case.
    6) No missing adjustment screw for bridge pickup.
    7) Strung for 6 string
    8) body doesn't have the square neck pocket and subsequent protruding lip as origionl Tele's (and reissue Nocaster) have.
    9) No "remnants" of vintage tuner screw holes before Sperzels went on......I may yet do this for the vibe.

So other than these few tiny differences its exact.

And yes, it sounds and plays absolutely fantastic.

The finish is translucent but it doesn't show in the photos.....it looks opaque but it isn't.

I've seen the Fender Japan Micawber.....it has several things that are not like Micawber (and its strung with 6 strings!). There is also a company in the US that'll make them for you. They are also pretty far off but do relic it close to what Micawber looks like. Both of these sources use the wrong tuners, neck, pickups, saddles, knobs, other things.
    Last edited by Gold Tone; 07-11-2004 at 06:24 PM.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

Re: Keef's Micawber Tele.......a replica project

Gold tone...very detailed post! Love the tele..it looks great.!!!

I get your analogy of the SRV model (it's actually modeled after his #1..'Lenny' was the lipstick pup strat 'replica' he often played....anyway...don't mean to bust yer balls ) good point, tho'.

don't let one gomer get your goat.!
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cooltone
    SRV model (it's actually modeled after his #1..'Lenny' was the lipstick pup strat 'replica' he often played
    I didn't know that! Where would I see him playing the lipstick pup strat? Austin City Limits or something?

Anyway, you know what I was getting at.

Cheers.

Old Tele man
    Last edited by Old Tele man; 10-15-2004 at 07:24 PM.

TFF Stage Crew

I don't know anything about Keith's Tele... but I think people making replicas of famous guitars can be pretty cool:wail2
    I've seen one like Roy B.'s Betty on the net, too.
    BTW- humbuckers in a Tele neck position rule

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

I didn't know that! Where would I see him playing the lipstick pup strat? Austin City Limits or something?
    ...I have to correct myself...Lenny was a brownish orange '63 (?)strat (not his #1, tho') The lipstick tube one was 'Charley'...it is white..he did play it live on Austin City limits or El Mocambo...I think.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

TFF Stage Crew

"Charley" was a hardtail. White w/matching headstock & a "Charley's GUITARS" decal.

Nice job. I love all the little details. Yeah, I remember the Roy B Tele...that was nuts...but was'nt it called Nancy?
    Hopeless modaholic...

Nice guitar. Very detailed account. Enjoy!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

TFF Stage Crew

Nancy, Betty, whatever...
    It was ugly
    :hee

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by 71818
    Nancy, Betty, whatever...
    It was ugly
    :hee
    :rofl

I think Keith mumbled to his roadie one day "Gimme my guitar" and the roadie said "Micawber?". Keith replied "Yes, gimme my micawber". So much for Dickens. :lol

Huh. And I heard that BB King was in a restaurant once and as he swiped a jar from the end of the table he said, "wusthisheresauce?" That's how Worcestershire sauce got it's name.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

fezz parka

:lol

BTW, nice guitar Gold Tone!

Not to be critical or anything but the heel and headstock transition could be shaped in like a '50s tele. Those shapes there scream cnc.

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/e...297_p31682.jpg

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/e...297_p32324.jpg

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/e...297_p32322.jpg
    Last edited by Tonefiend; 07-15-2004 at 03:27 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tonefiend
    Not to be critical or anything but the heel and headstock transition could be shaped in like a '50s tele.
    Yeah, there are these minor differences. As I said also, the body neck pocket is also not like a 50's Tele.............since its a Fender '52 body........its wrong from the start. Remember, the neck is a full 1" at the heel so the shape is different from your pictures..........not nearley as much wood removed.............same at the headstock, only a fraction under 1".

Quote Originally Posted by Tonefiend
    Those shapes there scream cnc.
    That's hilarious!! The neck came from Warmoth as a full 1" from head to toe........there was no heel/headstock transition. My Luthier averaged the shape from several pictures of 50's Tele necks and then hand shaped the back..........my luthier the screamin' CNC!!

TFF Stage Crew

See that sharp line along the bottom edge of the headstock? I'm pretty sure that's what Tonefiend is talking about. That tells me it's a Warmoth neck, & indeed made on a CNC machine. Your luthier could have softened that line a lot more with a palm sander, that's all.

It's no big deal, but one of those small details that sets apart the vintage stuff from most of the reissue/replacement stuff sold today. I purchased two necks from USACG & told Tommy that I would be shaping the profiles myself so no final sanding or shaping would be necessary from his shop. The necks I recieved were very angular & it took some work & a lot of A/B-ing w/a real '59 Strat neck to get all the contours looking good.
    Last edited by Cogs; 07-19-2004 at 02:45 PM.

TFF Stage Crew

Here's a Tele neck I spent a bunch of time on, doing exactly what we're talking about: rounding off those edges

Gold Tone- So you don't have to do it yourself, I'd like to congratulate you. That turned out nice.
    Nice neck.
    I never knew Keith's had a pickup ring.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Lookin good! Thats what I am talking about.
    The Warmoth and USACG stuff does not look like it was made with shaper cutters and then bladder sanded which is how they did it back inthe day. Nothing against either of them they both do great work imho, but if you are going for accuracy thats where every one falls short including alll the Fenders so don't feel bad. ;)

TFF Stage Crew

! Yeeeeouch! Did you have to use "bladder" & "sanded" in the same sentence?:bwa

Forum Member

OK, now I see what you guys are talking about. BTW, I don't feel bad..........but please...keep teaching me! I really am interested in those little details but have nothing too good to use for comparison, other than some photos. So I do appreciate the criticisms as education, really.

So I see what you guys are saying for the headstock..........maybe I'll have it sanded / contoured a bit more and have a couple more shots of nitro sprayed back on. Hmmm.....

I didn't really get what was different in Tonefiends post because my eye couldn't get past the Strat headstock............I get it now toneman!

The only thing that my, not so experienced eye, caught on the warmoth was that at the headstock, the point next to the low E is too close to the low E.......that hole side of the headstock should be a little longer before it breaks sharply to the nut. That can't be changed, that wood is gone.

What about the heel? I'm not seeing anything different there.

TFF Stage Crew

I don't know about the heel, as I can't see it clearly. But the point is that while CNC machines are good at producing consistent results, the sharp, almost TOO perfect lines they produce look cold & machine-like (duh!); hand tools give a piece an organic look & feel.
    I think your project turned out excellent. If you do it again, the next one will be a little different with nuances you've picked up handling cool or vintage guitars, or things you've seen in print or on the net. You'll never be completely satisfied!

I can't see your heel well enough, but from the top it looks different.
    This is a neck shaped with the same techniques Fender used int he '50s and '60s. The neck face down run through a shaper cutter from the side. You can see the "widows peak" shape of the flat spot at the heel where Warmoth and the others are rounded there.
    Find some pics of vintage necks and you will see what I mean.

Forum Member

I see what you're sayingv about the heel............I think the one on my Micawber is the way you describe. There is definitely a "widow's peak" effect, not rounded. That may be because it is full thickness there. If it were thinner at the heel I am pretty sure my luthier friend would have rounded it rather than peaked it..............force of habit?

The headstock definitely has the sharpness to it though.........havn't checked my Nocaster but I take it that it is also sharp rather than rounded as it "should" be.

EDIT:

Ok, pulled out Micawber, reissue Nocaster, some pictures of 50's teles...........I am THICK! I don't see much difference at all between my Micawber headstock and the 50's teles. The nocaster has the area you describe "softened" but not as far up the headstock as the 50's do. Micawber looks almost bang on......a "bit" sharper (looks a lot sharper in the pics I posted) but pretty close to 50's. Nowhere do I see a 50's tele with as rounded and as far up the headstock as in the pics you posted. The heels all look the same.

So, after all that, I'm going to have to find me a real 50's tele to have a look in person.............all these pics have confused the hell out of me..............not like that's difficult!! LOL

Regardless..........thanks for all the interesting discussion!

Twang on!
    Last edited by Gold Tone; 07-16-2004 at 02:05 PM.

Guitar looks good to me

You have way too much free time

Forum Member

I stay up late!

This took 2 years.........a lot of waiting for sure.

TFF Stage Crew

Check out this '55:
    Last edited by Cogs; 07-19-2004 at 02:46 PM.

TFF Stage Crew

A nasty '53

Last edited by Cogs; 07-19-2004 at 02:47 PM.

TFF Stage Crew

'52

Forum Member

So basically your saying its subtle, sometimes not so subtle, a difference but more importantly its obvious that there is more hand work.

Nice guitars BTW!

Forum Member

Amazing guitar Goldtone! A fascinating discussion. As a newbie here I never knew these things were possible.

Very cool guitar!!!

The level of guitar geekdom presented in this thread kinda scares me though...

TFF Stage Crew

I resent that! Leo Fender himself was a geek! He always wore a pocket protector

Nice job, Goldtone

Forum Member

Hi,

I am new here, a big Stones fan and lead guitarist in a Dutch Stones coverband voted best tribute band in 2004, and of course a big fan of Keith. Great guitar you have here, but would like to know why you don't replace the brdge with a brass Schaller one, as Keith did? Also, did you add a 0.47 mf cap in the hot lead of the humbucker, as Keith's? Also, Keith had the low E-string pickup pole of the bridge pickup removed, are you ging to do that too?

The name Micawber is a myth that keith tells these days too. The name Macawbre was actually the name of his 1974 Zemaitis 5-string (the one with the skull and bones), and this name was invented by Tony Zemaitis. This guitar got either stolen or destroyed in 1979, and starting from about 1983 Keith started saying that his 1952 Tele (which it is) name was Mica(w)bre and Theo(dora). Keith actually mentiones different names for the same guitar in various interviews.

By the way, I got shiploads of pics of the guitar, even from up close, if you want them drop me an email (stonesreview@tiscalimail.nl) and I sent them to you.

Mathijs
    www.fliptheswitch.nl

Nice playin' man. Wow is your vocalist a dead ringer for Mick! :bug

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mathijs
    Hi,

I am new here, a big Stones fan and lead guitarist in a Dutch Stones coverband voted best tribute band in 2004, and of course a big fan of Keith. Great guitar you have here, but would like to know why you don't replace the brdge with a brass Schaller one, as Keith did? Also, did you add a 0.47 mf cap in the hot lead of the humbucker, as Keith's? Also, Keith had the low E-string pickup pole of the bridge pickup removed, are you ging to do that too?

The name Micawber is a myth that keith tells these days too. The name Macawbre was actually the name of his 1974 Zemaitis 5-string (the one with the skull and bones), and this name was invented by Tony Zemaitis. This guitar got either stolen or destroyed in 1979, and starting from about 1983 Keith started saying that his 1952 Tele (which it is) name was Mica(w)bre and Theo(dora). Keith actually mentiones different names for the same guitar in various interviews.

By the way, I got shiploads of pics of the guitar, even from up close, if you want them drop me an email (stonesreview@tiscalimail.nl) and I sent them to you.

Mathijs
    www.fliptheswitch.nl
    ?!?!??! Another detail freak like me!

I didn't know about the cap on the humbucker. I wired it up with a 0.50 NOS Black Beauty for the tone control and a 0.001 on the volume. Seemed the most logical way to do it. Tell me more about the tone with the way Keith has it set up.

I couldn't find the Schaler so I used an actual Fender bridge. It is brass. I can't see any difference honestly. Is there?

I have a REALLY close picture of that bridge pick-up and there is definitely a pole peice in the low E spot. Can you explain what you mean?

Thanks!!!!

GT

NICE JOB!

Banned

this dude just put a 78 telecaster neck on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...309626781&rd=1

"Of course that, unintentionally, invited one gomer to criticize ad nauseum my intent with this project. He wouldn't let up that I have it strung for 6 string rather than 5 string playing. "I've missed the feel of Keith's Micawber by having it strung for 6 string play".
    I'm amazed this guy wasn't banished to eternity under the rule of Hades. ;)

Well,it's nice to have you here Gold Tone,and I don't care if your Micawber replica is spot on,or nowhere near,the point is you enjoyed doing it,and I think it looks cool anyway.
    I think,therefore I am
    I thought,therefore I was
    I am therefore,I thought
    Therefore,am I as I think I was