Thread: Strings are Tooooo Close??? How???

Strings are Tooooo Close??? How???

if i'm adjusting th height of my strings, how do i know if they're too close? if i strum on the strings, does it instantly go out of tune? what exactly am i listening for?

more like a rattling noise, and fret buzz
    Take Care
    T

Excessively close will cause a warbling of notes and make electronic tuners unstable when trying to tune.

Forum Member
    and don't forget loss of sustain.

Forum Member
    The best way to tell is to play notes above the 12th fret on the low E string - if the pickups are too close, you'll get an unpleasant wobble along with the note (if they're way too close, you might not even get the note). Back the pickups down until this goes away, and then set the treble side. I think it's more balanced with the treble side higher than the bass.

M
    www.monstermikewelch.com

Forum Member

Strings too close?

Oddly enough, yes. Especially with Strats. You can getwhat I call "sonic oscillation" when using the 2nd and 4th position on Strats if the pickups are too close. I believe Mr. Kinman refers to this as "Stratitis". It is most noticeable on the low E and A strings. Another manifestation with Les Pauls, is increased harshness(most notably the high strings) when pickups are too close. It is a trial and error thing, and you will have to experiment to find your favorite settings. Another consideration, is that the closer the pickups are to the strings, the less actual sound of the guitar itself(top, neck, fretboard) will be represented. I like to hear the strings and the guitar.