Thread: Fender Subsonic?

Fender Subsonic?

It's a baritone Tele. And a gorgeous sounding little number at that.

Forum Member
    Actually, it's a little different than a normal baritone. Usually a bari is 30" scale and has fairly heavy strings. The Subsonic is 27" scale and uses fairly light gauge strings. You can solo on it quite easily, and the shorter (for a bari) scale makes it play more like a guitar than a regular baritone.

I have a Tele Subsonic and really like it a LOT. I tune mine B to B and use a wound G string on it.

Forum Member
    I've got a subsonic strat. The strings are .012, .017, .026, .038, .050 and .066. The third strings sound s very dull. A .026 unwound string was just never meant to be. I have since tried replacing with a .026 wound string and it sounds much better. Uncle Daddy, what guage did you use as a replacement?

Forum Member
    I also used an .026 wound string. For some reason it feels better (not so slinky) and I think it sounds a LOT better..

I haven't quite figured out using my Subsonic Tele for live playing, but I pick it up a lot at home.

Originally posted by sf1911
    I've got a subsonic strat. The strings are .012, .017, .026, .038, .050 and .066. The third strings sound s very dull. A .026 unwound string was just never meant to be. I have since tried replacing with a .026 wound string and it sounds much better. Uncle Daddy, what guage did you use as a replacement?

Forum Member
    I have always wanted to know - did Duane Eddy use a Subsonic guitar for his recordings?

Ron

Sub Sonic PUPs

I was saving for a CS Sub Sonic Strat with dual HBs, but the CS shop stopped offering them. Luckily, a short-lived US Standard series was offered with HSS PUPs so I picked one up for about half what the CS shop models went for.

Unfortunately, I was unhappy with the DH-1 and two single coils in the US Standard. I just couldn't dial in what I wanted. I had a Big Apple Stratocaster that I loved which had the SDuncan Pearly Gates & 59, and I decided to swap guards between the BA and the SS.

What a difference! My Sub Sonic with the SD Humbuckers sounds significantly more interesting IMHO than the Fender Pups did. After the switch, I have grown to love the Sub Sonic.

Unfortunately, my former BA Strat is now simply a FAT Strat with the DH1 and I fear I don't care for it much now. I'm going to try to purchase a BA PUP config for it or I'll end up selling it.