Thread: ALLPARTS FAT NECK RULEZ!!!!

Formerly joe mama

ALLPARTS FAT NECK RULEZ!!!!

So far anyhow. I just got it and this is a heads up for anyone like me, who like's 'em big and chunky. It's a new one they carry, not listed on their dorky site.

It's an SMO-FAT and it's very similar to the Nocaster, about 1" diameter at first fret. That's a chunk o' wood. Round "C" (No V). 9.5" radius and med. jumbo frets. Perfect.

I stuck it in the pocket of a Custom Shop relic body and it loosely fit. No gap, but not snug. A finish would allow it to fit snug, but since I'm gonna oil it, that's my only concern but it should be fine as long as the holes get drilled right. I'm not sure if I'm gonna muster up the courage to drill it or have it pro installed.

But anyhow, I like the feel of this neck a lot. The grain looks really great too. The three USA Custom necks I've got were good, but this seems a little better quality to me as far as the wood grain and no sharp fret ends. And no long wait!

Old Tele man
    Last edited by Old Tele man; 10-15-2004 at 07:30 PM.

Formerly joe mama

Re: ALLPARTS FAT NECK RULEZ!!!!

Well scratch the 'diameter" I got caught up in the excitement! It's about 1.00" thick at the nut.

How's that?! ; )

Forum Member

I had a tele with an Allparts fat neck, I guess just a regular fat, not like yours, don't know never measured. Anyways: I really liked the neck, it was the best feature of the guitar.

I just put an Allparts scalloped strat neck on a guitar I built for my son and it's very nice. I didn't think I'd like the scalloping but I'm really digging that neck. Allparts is good stuff.

VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Formerly joe mama

Really? they sell scalloped necks? or did you do the scalloping?

I'm an Allparts dealer so I found out while talking to them that sell them scalloped already. It's not in the catalog because it's a new item but if you call them and ask for it they have them.

VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Formerly joe mama

That's awesome! Man, I'm gettin' more GAS! Looks killer. I guess they have a lot of cool stuff. Man, they need to re-do that awful website. Not just update it but make the search function actually work!

Are these Tele or Strat necks? Or either?

I'd like to find something reasonably priced, kinda' chunky (maybe slight V), 9.5" radius, rosewood. For a Tele project.
    Do they have something like that?

I have a Deluxe neck now. It's okay, but thin.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Whats the fretboard radius on the allparts fat neck?
    AKA Threadkiller.......

Formerly joe mama

10" for the fat neck.

Joe

How many frets does your SMO-FAT have?
    What's the width at the nut?
    Your first post says it's 9.5 radius. Your last post says a fat neck is 10.

I'm confused because I just got the same neck in rosewood (SRO-FAT) and it has 22 frets but the website says it should have 21. I think the radius is 9.5 but the website says "all 22 fret necks have a 12 degree radius".
    You can never have too
    much music in your life.

Formerly joe mama

Hey Jim, this has 21 frets and has vintage nut 1 5/8" too. It's a marriage of old and new specs. I tried to order 22 frets, but they said they don't have them in fat specs.

I thought it was 9.5" radius like Fender modern but then I read somewhere that it was 10". Pretty much the same thing anyhow. The Kinman pickup site used to have a radius gauge you could print out and measure your neck radius. that's what you want. I don't know if it's still there.

Is your neck fat? They told me all the fats come with 21. The 22 necks are more like the American Standards. At least that's what they said.

Hi Joe

It's a 22 fret fat one. Phil looked at all the SRO-FAT's in the bin and for some reason they came in with 22 frets. It is a 9.5 radius with a 1 5/8 nut. I think all the Allparts necks are 1 5/8 at the nut. The vintage Fender nut is
    1 11/16 so it's a bit wider than the Allparts.

All and all this is a very good, high quality neck. I'm impressed.
    You can never have too
    much music in your life.

Formerly joe mama

Have you installed it yet Jim? Got a pic? I haven't gotten mine on yet.

That's cool about the neck and frets. I wonder if they got any 22 fret maple ones in.

I'm still sanding. There are some pretty deep tooling marks on the front of the headstock that will show thru a lacqured finish so I've ordered some spray filler/sealer from Reranch. I'm still waiting on UPS.

I don't have pic posting technology. I'm a .

You can never have too
    much music in your life.