Thread: Going to a Blues Jam...Questions

Going to a Blues Jam...Questions

Hey guys. I guess there are a couple decent blues jams in my area and I am going to check them out in the next couple of weeks. I know some of you guys go to them (and even host them, maybe) and I was wondering what you guys would recommend I do before I go with my Tokai in hand.

Obviously I am going to check them out as a spectator first to see if I'd be way out of my league and I like the people, but answer me this:

Do people bring their own amps? If I don't want to lug my amp there, are there house amp(s) that they let people use?

That's really the only specific dumbass question I have right now, but if you guys could give me any advice I would appreciate it. Should I learn a few particular songs...etc., etc.

Thanks!

Forum Member

Re: Going to a Blues Jam...Questions

I generally lug my amp because most Bay Area players don't know shit about good amps and I don't want to plug into some high-gain buzz machine.

Most blues jam house bands now enough to keep it simple. If you can play a 1-4-5, you'll be ok.

I would go and sit quitely for a couple of sessions.
    Observe.

You'll see how things work.

No matter how good others sound, you're the only one who plays like Falstaff. Don't worry about being "out of your league."
    It's just a jam. You're already playing in front of some of the best players on the planet when you play in the Jam Zone here.

Do you sing? Be prepared to sing a song (or two) everyone knows.
    You DON'T want to be standing around on stage trying to think of a song to play.
    If you don't sing, be aware of what the other folks sing. If there are songs in common, suggest them when you get up. BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE IS GONNA BE STANDING AROUND TRYING TO DECIDE WHAT TO DO
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Learn a couple of Jimmy Reed tunes like: "Bright Lights, Big City", "Hush, Hush", or "Take Out Some Insurance", in that groove. (Only jam on "Honest I Do" if you can cop the signature guitar lick. Although, if you call that one and someone can sing it, you'll score hug points for playing it right!)

You could also easily learn "Key to the Highway" with it's 1-5-4 structure. Something easy, blusey, but a little different than the perpetual 1-4-5 chords played ad naseum at most blues jams.

If you really wanna fit in and be in demand at a blues jam, snag a "Best of.." cd by Jimmy Rogers, the Chess session rhythm player on practically everything ever recorded at Chess. A great blues rhythm player is the foundation of most blues jams and most people don't realize it.

Do you sing a little? If so, the Jimmy Reed tunes are an easy place to start.

Good luck and have fun!
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

Forum Member

I always bring an amp also, rather than plug into an unknown amp, not knowing where to set the knobs to get a tone I like. Plus, I stick to just guitar, cable, amplifier(no pedals), which makes it easy to get on and off the stage quickly.

I usually bring an amp, but I sometimes use the house amp if it's interesting, like a Marshall half-stack.

Blues jams usually have a spare amp, the problem is when you get two guys at the same time who don't have an amp.

Being a former jam host, the most important thing you can do is be attentive and courteous to others. Get your gear on and off stage quickly, don't bring drinks on stage, watch your volume, buy two drinks, tip a lot, stick around after you play, and above all: DON"T COMPLAIN. Don't ask to get on soon because you have to get home, don't ask to not play with someone, don't bitch if the sign up sheet isn't rigorously followed, obey the jam host, dammit!!!

Sorry, got carried away. Anyway, if you "play well with others," your skill is irrelevant. A beginner with a good attitude is favored way more than a highly skilled butthead. Unless the jam host is a jerk too, but those jams you don't go to.

Remember that it's supposed to be fun.

I never bring an amp unless I'm playing with the host band. One of the coolest things about jams is discovering new equipment. I simply cannot worry about "my tone" in an open mic environment. The hidden benefits are twofold.
    1) You will have more fun if you just get up there and play. If you're all worried about your "tone", you're missing the point of the jam and adding stress to it. Everyone else has to play through that "host" amp. It's like "the great equalizer".
    2) If you can make that "host amp" sound real good, more people will take notice of what you're doing and share a greater respect for you. Not to mention that playing unknown gear repeatedly and being able to coax good sounds from it will strengthen your prowess as a player in ways you can't yet imagine.

Above all. Have fun!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Forum Member

If there's an obnoxious harp player there who doesn't know when to stop playing and give other solos their space, kick him in the balls.

You'll be an instant hero to the other guitar players.

Note - if the obnoxious harp player is part of the host band, disregard the above.
    Free Agent Harp Mercenary

Sing. That's the most important thing at one of these things.

Don't bring an amp. If you can play (or even if you can't) it's a lot of fun to see what you can do with unfamiliar equipment. If you're worried about tone don't bother going. With all the cacophany made during blues jams, tone is perhaps the least important thing one can consider.
    (Tele Bob was much more eloquent on this point)

Quote Originally Posted by Sacblues
    If there's an obnoxious harp player there who doesn't know when to stop playing and give other solos their space, kick him in the balls.

You'll be an instant hero to the other guitar players.

Note - if the obnoxious harp player is part of the host band, disregard the above.

BWAH HA HA HA HA!!!!! You're killing me SacBlues!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Thanks, guys. I wasn't sure that the 'house amp' thing I had heard about was true, so I'll be going with just a guitar.

Great advice, everyone, and thanks for responding. Especially you, Doc, I'll check that stuff out.

Have fun. Goof around. Do NOT fear the "Big Boyz".

Just walk into the light!
    Shine your light.

Singing makes it about ten times more fun, since you get to choose the songs. If you can't sing, just sing with gusto; someone who looks like they're having fun will be forgiven for a lot of really bad notes. It's the living-dead singers who clear the room, even if they're in tune.

[QUOTE]It's the living-dead singers who clear the room, even if they're in tune.

amen (with "Amazing Grace" playing loudly, ala Blind Boyz of Alabama)

okay, i can clear a room, but it's still fun to try...I KNOW I'm a good back-up, arranger and adequate keyboard banger...but I MUST sing sometimes...it's an affliction like GAS or AAS or Tourette's... yargh.
    Shine your light.

like you said, observe once and then you'll KNOW if its a "no amps" or a "bring your own amp" kind of jam. I've seen both.

Forum Member

I'll generally take my modded DRRI in the car. That way,when I get to the jam it's available if needed, and out of sight if not.