Thread: Stepford Audiences

Stepford Audiences

Such a drag. So reserved.

There's this rippin' New Grass Group that invited me to sing some tunes. I knew it was the death knell before my set arrived.

All "Lookin' Good". No heart. Hell, they don't even tap their toes these days.

I hate it. (the audience were cottonbolls?)
    Shine your light.

Re: Stepford Audiences

Yep. I try to seed the audience at every gig (no, not that way, T-B). One or two can be all it takes to get the audience out of their coma.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Ah, the tuxedo years......Airport lounges, Country Clubs, Fraternal Organizations.......".Thank You, Thank You very much, yes that was Evergreen by Barbara Streisand....Thank You......and here's Tom with Alabama Getaway......" please, please, for the love of all creatures big and small......please, somebody wake me up!!!!
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Last new-grass concert I attended was a real bust. Unfortunately our fair city advertised they were hosting a free "bluegrass" festival in a downtown park. When the headliners came out with a drum set, and electric guitars (as well as banjo's mandolins, and acoustic guitars), a lot of the traditional bluegrass fans that were there got really bent out of shape. Quite a few of them didn't even stick around to hear the opening number and bailed during the sound check. It was unfortunate because the group played great, had some really tight musicians who played there buts off, but it just wasn't what the promoter had advertised and much of the audience was dissapointed, and it rubbed off on the rest of the audience. I really felt bad for the band who came in from out of town and had no idea what they were up against. I've seen this happen several times with newgrass groups over the years, I hope that wasn't the case at your gig, but with what you described it could be a possibility.
    Ray

They were just a numb audience (which we've all had). I actually thought it was a Father-Daughter get together until I srutinized further. It's illegal for fathers and daughters to hold hands and sigh like that.

These folks should have gone to bed. To sleep. I can't imagine them doing much more.
    Shine your light.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie D.
    It's illegal for fathers and daughters to hold hands and sigh like that.
    Depends what state yer in, Annie.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks