Thread: Twinkies is 'The Ultimate Junk Food'

Twinkies is 'The Ultimate Junk Food'

Every once in a while the vending machine in our break room gets stocked with Twinkies. I can never resist them - thankfully they don't show up that often.

I bought a pack of them and made myself a cup hot tea to wash them down. I just finished them off and, as it has been since my childhood, it was the ultimate junk food experience!

I'm 50 and I love them more than I did when I was 5. I won't waste a crumb - I pull off the cardboard backing and eat the thin layer of cake that always sticks to it. Then I eat them slowly. The soft cake, the creamy filling and the luscious explosion of sweetness is truely inspiring, in a junk food kind of way.

I had my first deep-fried Twinkie at the Clay County fair a few months ago. The vendor asked me how I wanted it served. I told him to do it the way that he liked the best. After dipping it in the batter and slowly deep-frying it, he put it in a bowl and spooned a little cherry sauce (pie filling) over the top. Then he topped it off with vanilla ice cream. It was tremendous! This versatility is just another feather in the cap of 'Twinkie the Kid'.

If I didn't limit my Twinkie intake to about once a month, I'd be as big as a barn:-)
    Please, leave a tone after the message.

Re: Twinkies is 'The Ultimate Junk Food'

Not according to the late Harvey Milk.
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

(or the late Mayor Moscone)

Good call, doc.
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by 3dArray
    Every once in a while the vending machine in our break room gets stocked with Twinkies. I can never resist them - thankfully they don't show up that often.

I bought a pack of them and made myself a cup hot tea to wash them down. I just finished them off and, as it has been since my childhood, it was the ultimate junk food experience!

I'm 50 and I love them more than I did when I was 5. I won't waste a crumb - I pull off the cardboard backing and eat the thin layer of cake that always sticks to it. Then I eat them slowly. The soft cake, the creamy filling and the luscious explosion of sweetness is truely inspiring, in a junk food kind of way.

I had my first deep-fried Twinkie at the Clay County fair a few months ago. The vendor asked me how I wanted it served. I told him to do it the way that he liked the best. After dipping it in the batter and slowly deep-frying it, he put it in a bowl and spooned a little cherry sauce (pie filling) over the top. Then he topped it off with vanilla ice cream. It was tremendous! This versatility is just another feather in the cap of 'Twinkie the Kid'.

If I didn't limit my Twinkie intake to about once a month, I'd be as big as a barn:-)
    Much as Twinkies are maligned, there are worse foods for you. Staples of my diet like bacon are probably actively bad for you, whereas Twinkies are probably something of a null effect.

There's a very faint line seperating food and poison where I eat. :rofl

OMG, Vibro, did I let my pink slip show there for a second?

:ahem

No, many of us recall the Twinkle defense... including Senator Feinstein. The California constitution later was amended to eliminate the diminished capacity defense.
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Sorry, I had a moment of inappropriate levity.

You're right.

Serious subject and a tragic day.

Levity is cool... nothing to apologize for...

"Much as Twinkies are maligned, there are worse foods for you. Staples of my diet like bacon are probably actively bad for you, whereas Twinkies are probably something of a null effect."

I respecfully disagree. Bacon at least comes from an animal and is somewhat "natural." If they eat good pure feed. Twinkies, on the other hand are totally un-natural. All man-made ingredients. They don't decompose. After we all kill ourselves with nukes the only thing left on this planet will probably be cockroaches and Twinkies. ;-) And even they won't eat them.
    I remember reading somewhere that animals will not eat twinkies. I've tried it out on my cat Buster. He'll sniff it a couple times and walk away. I even broke it up into bite size pieces. Nope. Smart cat.

Pork, the other other white meat.
    threadkiller par excellance

Old Tele man

in today's world, EVERYTHING is either (1) illegal, (2) immoral, or (3) fattening...

yep! sounds like a TWINKIE!

"After we all kill ourselves with nukes the only thing left on this planet will probably be cockroaches and Twinkies."

And armadillos.

Along with cockroaches they've shown to withstand the highest doses of radiation.

Onward Thru the Fog!

Chas909,

Check out this link.

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/twinkies.htm

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you have formed opinions on other more important issues the same way you did with Twinkies, you've got some work to do.

You wouldn't happen to be a Democrat, would you? :-)

Possum: The other white meat.

Doc540,

I haven't seen "Onward Thru the Fog" in quite a while.

Do you know what a Power Hitter is?

Quote Originally Posted by Chas909
    "Much as Twinkies are maligned, there are worse foods for you. Staples of my diet like bacon are probably actively bad for you, whereas Twinkies are probably something of a null effect."

I respecfully disagree. Bacon at least comes from an animal and is somewhat "natural." If they eat good pure feed. Twinkies, on the other hand are totally un-natural. All man-made ingredients. They don't decompose. After we all kill ourselves with nukes the only thing left on this planet will probably be cockroaches and Twinkies. ;-) And even they won't eat them.
    I remember reading somewhere that animals will not eat twinkies. I've tried it out on my cat Buster. He'll sniff it a couple times and walk away. I even broke it up into bite size pieces. Nope. Smart cat.

Pork, the other other white meat.
    All due respect Bro, but that's malarkey. Twinkies are not totally unnatural. They will decompose. (They certainly decompose in your digestive tract.) It's not like they are made from petroleum distillates, or uranium, or something. They are a food product, made from wheat, and sugar, and vegatable fat--very refined and processed wheat, sugar and vegetable fat. But they do start somewhere on the food chain.

Cats eat very specific foods, mainly meat and insects. The fact that your cat won't eat a twinky doesn't mean anything. Your cat won't eat tomatoes or avacados either, and those are perfectly reasonable human foods. Cats on the other hand will eat live mice, and humans will do so only very reluctantly. And insects will eat Twinkies. Try leaving one on the sidewalk sometime.

:rolleyes:

Power Hitter....hmmmm

Probably some kind of paraphernalia I might have tried out behind Oat Willie's in another lifetime. :smoke

I think I was there, too :-)

Onward!

OK, you set me straight. There are natural ingredients in Twinkies. I will never malign them again. ;-)

Still I wouldn't eat one though. :dead

DUDE! I feel insulted. I ain't a Demoncrat. Merely misinformed on the merits of Twinkies ;-) I wouldn't p*ss on a democrat if he was on fire.

I'm gonna try the tomato experiment with my cat, see if he eats it.
    threadkiller par excellance

My cat eats tomatos. Sucks out the juice then she nibbles.

Banana Twinkies are the bomb. Been a few years since I've eaten them, but they are real good...tasting.
    Hopeless modaholic...

Forum Member

I had a deep-fried Twinkie at the Wilson county fair last summer, and it was enough to make my pancreas say YOWZAAA!!!!

Hot( VERY hot!!), crispy, a little of the cream filling leaking out from the heat, burning like napalm against any exposed flesh, all rolled in powdered sugar and stuck on a stick.

I had 2.......
    70's re-issue Stratocaster.......

D'Addarrio XL 10-46's

Marshall G215RCD

'88 Carvin X-100B w/ GT E34L's

Sovtek Mig 100U, Sovtek 5881's

Old, patchouli-reeking Peavey 412F cab

Ibanez TS-9 RI

EH Big Muff Pi

Danelectro Dan-Echo, FAB Metal, FAB Overdrive, and Dan-o-Wah(don't laugh, it's my son's..)pedals

Guess I don't have an excuse to NOT learn how to play, now....
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx