Thread: What is wrong with me ?

What is wrong with me ?

I was in Creative Music in Sioux City, IA today looking at the 5051? Crate amp. In messing with it I picked up a LP Jr and played it (new one with the funny headstock). It sounded good and played well for a semi-finished guitar. I think I could get used to it. Then sales guy decided I needed a Les Paul so he handed me a Classic. It had been a while so I played a traditional LP. It was UNCOMFORTABLE to play. I keep thinking I should own one of those, then I play one. I guess I am a tele styled player. I have a dual bucker tele that will stay with me, and the LP will stay there. Oh well.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Forum Member

Re: What is wrong with me ?

Teles are 100000000000 times better than Les Pauls anyway.

I'm with you there too
    For me if I want an LP I'd probably just get me a Tele with 'buckers or P90's instead -- go figure...

-Kevin
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

LP's are too heavy and clunky. Bonk-out on the homestretch. Kill strings. Sound dead in a layman's hand. Lack sustain without effects and high-volume. ( they DO have a dynamite, sleezy, sexy "crunch thang" and a Gabor Zabo treble lead).

Tele's play like women and cry and moan and bitch-n-piss "on demand" with fast necks and twang you when you least expect it. Put Habaneros in yer salsa.

(but what do i know? i play bingo.)
    Shine your light.

oh, and Dudek knows how to make one shine, quit righteously. must be some kinda trick.
    Shine your light.

I too am not real fond of Les Pauls. I own one and it's nice for rock and stuff, but it's just not as textural or dynamic as a Tele. For years, I played Gibsons and really enjoyed them. Then I came to a point in my life where I started to really appreciate simplicity and clarity and a cleaner sound. I bought a Tele and have been absolutely thrilled with it. The Les Paul comes out when it's time to really rock and grind. But when it's time to schmooze, it's all about Strats and Teles. Works for me anyway.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I hear ya Bob. I sold my LP a few years back, and every now and then I miss it. But when I go pick one up it seems so clunky. I still like LP Studios better then the Standards. They seem a little more ergonomic and dynamic. I never could get used to that sharp binding on the Standards.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I love my les paul. It is heavy but I think it is pretty versatile in itself. The new burstbucker pros give a brighter clean tone, I think, as well. My tele will be here soon so I can't wait to try it out and compare but I think I'll still love my LP but I will also love my new tele too!

Quote Originally Posted by Annie D.
    LP's are too heavy and clunky. Bonk-out on the homestretch. Kill strings. Sound dead in a layman's hand. Lack sustain without effects and high-volume. ( they DO have a dynamite, sleezy, sexy "crunch thang" and a Gabor Zabo treble lead).

Tele's play like women and cry and moan and bitch-n-piss "on demand" with fast necks and twang you when you least expect it. Put Habaneros in yer salsa.

(but what do i know? i play bingo.)
    Lack sustain without effects and high-volume????
    You must have played a clunker!
    I have two Studios and they sustain for days.

Forum Member

for me it aint an 'either or' thing -teles have a clairty and bite and twang that is gorgeous-

and they vary a lot too from what i can tell

lesters and other guitars, such as Danos strats 335s gretschs, and so many others as well each have thier own strengths-there are very few guitars that i can't find some positive attribute about-playability is anohter thing altogether

to hear a les paul in the hands of johnny a for example shows how versatile a guitar it can be, sam with a tele in the hands of Danny Gatton

-what i agree with is that lesters are a very different feel and weight-they can be just as alive as a tele with the right stuff suchas burstbuckers or others, and pots that let the treble through- i have to say also that of all the issues i have never had a lack of sustain or playability problem with any LP -even one with low z pups-

A decent Les Paul is out of my price range anyway. I think Gibson has some mighty big stones to charge what they do for their instruments when I can get a high quality Fender for less than half their price. I'd love to own a 335 but who's got two grand laying around???

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

I agree, Curtis, It's gotten totally out of hand. I have a '96 LP Standard (Goldtop) that I paid $1499.00 for (In '96). I guess if you compare that to a custom shop strat, then the price seems comparable. Now? forget it.
    It seems that whenever Gibson tries to appeal to the mid level buying market, (ala Faded series) a ton of quality goes out the window.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

They cost too much. They have to pay for that 50 million in development costs on their digital guitar somehow....

They are heavy, and I consider the sound weak unless the gain is cranked up, but I love them when the gain is cranked. Clean, they just don't sound that good to me.

Single coils Fenders hit their sweet spot much sooner and hold it over a larger range of sounds. Hunbuckers, Paul's etc. hit their sweet spot much later, but they saturate a bit more when they reach it.

Fenders are an all around instrument, but Humbuckers, Paul’s ect. are limited to what they can be used for.

This is of course my personal opinion; it has no real bearing on anything, except me...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I recently talked to a very talented guitar builder who lives in my area. He said he's had too many brand new Gibsons in the $2,000 and up price range into his shop to correct some very, very basic problems, mostly very poorly dressed frets.

I've seen some hanging in the local shops that have some clear problems too.

I expect a guitar that cost $200 to have some fret issues but $2000? No, that guitar ought to sing like angels and play like buttah right out of the chute.

You know what? I take that back. Even a $200 guitar ought not to have issues that render it unplayable. A guitar in that price range was probably made in Korea and I have to admit that the workmanship of Korean guitars is generally very good considering the affordability.

Shame on Gibson if they can't mange the same.

But you gotta admit they sure look pretty

They look great, but I like a different looking guitar nowaday. I like my Fenders to look like Fenders, but my humbuckers to look like different from the common shapes.
    Photoweborama

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka
    I recently talked to a very talented guitar builder who lives in my area. He said he's had too many brand new Gibsons in the $2,000 and up price range into his shop to correct some very, very basic problems, mostly very poorly dressed frets.

I expect a guitar that cost $200 to have some fret issues but $2000? No, that guitar ought to sing like angels and play like buttah right out of the chute.

You know what? I take that back. Even a $200 guitar ought not to have issues that render it unplayable. A guitar in that price range was probably made in Korea and I have to admit that the workmanship of Korean guitars is generally very good considering the affordability.

Ironically enough, I just got back from my local dealer who is sending my 2004 LP Standard Limited Edition back to Gibson. The shop and I both feel that there is problem with the high-e string nut. It was cut too close to the end of the fretboard which makes it pull-off too easily even with open major chords on the first and second fret. Not something I expected from a $2K guitar, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka

Yep, had some nut slotting problems with my Howard Roberts Fusion a while back...apparently the nut slot was cut wrong for the size gauge on there (.010's), but since I was putting .012 flats on it anyway, it really didn't matter much too me cause I had to reslot the nut anyways. My '65 ES335 however has had no problems whatsoever in the 12 years I've owned it...go figure...

-Kevin

If pretty was the key PRS and Hamer would get a lot of my business. I like the look fine, It just feels as if I have to reach back to get the notes aboue the 12th fret. Access to much higher seems tougher as well.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

My cheap OLP is really nice fo playing high. It's contoured.

Photoweborama

Hey that's a really nice heel cut....

-Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by photoweborama

My Schecter PT has the same type of heel and I love that thing.

I love Les Pauls, especially modified Classics, but I do have to admit that the Classics have a balance issue. They can be uncomfortable.

I have an old LP Deluxe that's really warm sounding and not too heavy...but still too heavy to play all night standing. The Tele will do just fine!

I wish Fender would make all their guitars with that type of heel. I think only the Jeff Beck model has it. Maybe there are others. But if OLP can do it on a $200.00 guitar, why Can't Fender do it on all of theirs.
    Photoweborama

I wish Fender would make all their guitars with that type of heel. I think only the Jeff Beck model has it. Maybe there are others. But if OLP can do it on a $200.00 guitar, why Can't Fender do it on all of theirs.
    Some of the Stagemasters do. I think the others stay that way because of tradition.

Are the Stagemasters the ones with the set necks? I like those a lot!

I can't keep all these models straight anymore. The set necks are nice to me as well. I was thinking of whatever the Squire things are called. They have that joint. The upper end things by Fender Showmaster/Stagemaster/whatevermaster that do not have the set neck have the rounded joint. At least the couple i ahve picked up. I can't decide if I like them or not though.

Hmmmmm. The squared off part of the body never really bothered me. I guess I'm just used to it.

Godins have really nice rounded heels.
    They use a ferule for each screw, sunk in to the body.
    They have a new model, the Exit 22, kind of Tele-esque upper bout. Natural mahogany, very woody looking.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinexit22p.htm

Love to try one.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

When you play a contoured heel, you don't even know it's different, until you go back.... It just feels natural.
    Photoweborama

You must have played a clunker!
    i had a jillion dollar goldtop '72 that shoulda shined big-time even with my limited skills, but it WAS a clunker. Traded it straight-across for a flippin' Duo-Sonic! (tha's how bad it was)

I'ver heard others that shone like diamonds. In the right hands.

The ones I met (okay it was probably me) "bonked".

'cept for the early '68 thingy at Nadine's. It was very heavy, but had a perfect sound. Horrible neck and holding balance. I got my Gretsch instead. (ayma singer, what the heck do I know?)
    Shine your light.

When I'm high, they all feel the same :rolleyes:

Mark, I've never played the OLP, but MF used to have a deal with an OLP and a GuitarPort for very little cash.

I think it's a wonderful era for guitar players. There are so many really nice, affordable guitars now.

I can't say enough good about the Godins.

As far as LP vs Tele vs Strat......it's apples and oranges and tennis balls.........

a Tele with buckers doesn't sound like a Les Paul to me. A Nashville tele doesn't sound like a Strat to me.

Lots of players say Strats are hard to play and sound thin. Others can make a Strat sound great but can't play a Gibson.

As far as kickin' Gibson or Fender either one for their product.
    They keep building them and we keep buying them.

A Yamaha or Kawasaki cruiser will run circles around a Harley in just about every category except one........and that one is what makes Harleys sell, and has people waiting in line for their product.
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

I was looking at Godin before I got the OLP. Just a bit more than I wanted to pay for a "3rd tier" guitar. My AmSer Tele is tier 1, my MiM Strat is tier 2, my squire, OLP, and my rouge bass are in tier 3...

Right now the Tele is out and the rest are put away. The Tele is a 2002 AmSer Chrome Red Tele and the neck is just phenomenal. My wife picked it out and by chance it has a near perfect neck. I've heard all the stories as to what is wrong with today's Fender necks, an it does not appear to exhibit any of those problems, and of course it's Rosewood.

I also prefer the slightly wider bride and neck. It's much easier to play
    Photoweborama

I'm a Les Paul man till the day I die. :)

I tend to play my Les Paul down low, low... they're just easier that way. While I'm still young I can put my back into it (literally), and they certianly hang better down there. I have a very, very thin neck on mine, couple that to the wieght (heavy, good) and balance (perfect), I couldn't be much happier. Yeah, the heel can be a bit of a bugger, but after a year I'm just so used to it. It didn't bother the Page, did it? :)

It goes without saying that I love the sound, I find mine hugely versatile, but then I think I play a lot of stuff that you guys wouldn't.

My Tele was my number 2 - but the faded DC LP on the Tele's left has taken that role for now (damn, P90s are HOT), but maybe my new blue 62 RI Tele will reclaim that spot. The 335 isn't mine, and the V is an Epi, and just for fun :)

But yeah - I love them Les Pauls. I think they're the sexiest, greatest guitars ever made. Everyone looks good playing them, I think they're very responsive. I adore the neck pitch angle, and the feel of the carvetop under the hand, the position of the selector switch... man, LPs rule.

I need a sit-down now.

Nice shot Frinky, Where's the blue tele? Is that blonde tele a japanese made 50's classic?

Nice bunch of guitars. I just wish I felt as comfortable with an LP as I do a tele. I think they do look better, but ...

I can play either now. I was a Gibson guy before. I found the transition to Fender hard. but now I can go back and forth without any effort.
    Photoweborama

Quote Originally Posted by bluesgtr20
    Nice shot Frinky, Where's the blue tele? Is that blonde tele a japanese made 50's classic?
    It's in the post, winging it's way to me... and yup, that's a 50's Classic, which went to it's new owner today, actually. Yes, I miss it... but I'm hyped about the Blue one coming through!