Thread: Vintage Noiseless or Texas Specials for my tele?

Forum Member

Vintage Noiseless or Texas Specials for my tele?

What would be best for pop/rock/blues?

I suppose the Texas Specials would fit the bill but how about the Vintage Noiseless??

Thanks,

Yoeri

I put Tx Specials in my Tele and am extremely pleased with them. They have alot of "balls" and sound killer for classic rock and blues.
    Rockin' in the free world . . .

Forum Member
    Originally posted by jisham
    I put Tx Specials in my Tele and am extremely pleased with them. They have alot of "balls" and sound killer for classic rock and blues.
    What kind of Tele would that be. Mine is a Fat Tele but I just can't get used to the humbucker. Previous owner installed a hotrail at the bridge so I'm looking at replacing both pickups and the pickguard and converting it to a Std Tele. It has a rosewood fingerboard.

Thanks,

Yoeri

Forum Member
    Yoeri,

I just put together a Tele with a Mexican Body, American Neck - rosewood like yours an d Texas Specials. They are my favorite tele pickup for some reasons:

1. Versatility, they do rock, they do blues, and the neck pickup with the tone rolled off allows you to do jazz.

2. They aren't too expensive.

3. They come all ready to be hooked up to a four way switch, which will give you another position to play with (more gain). See reason #1.

The one thing I noticed with the combination of parts I used (rosewood neck included) is that the overall sound is "darker" than most teles I have experienced. It's not dark, but just darker than other teles. It still maintains the ability to twang though.

Hope this helps.

Marc

Originally posted by LordRiffenstein

What kind of Tele would that be.
    It's a MIM Standard tele (see my avatar) with a maple neck. It's got tons of tones, and the four way switch is a cool addition as well.
    Rockin' in the free world . . .

Here's a thought for you. I've been considering making some changes to the pups on my Tele as well, and I mentioned it to one of the guys at my local guitar store. He knows I play a lot of blues/classic rock, and he suggested that I might want to consider a vintage American Tele neck pup with a CS Nocaster Bridge pup (the NOS version, not the aged one). He claims that this pair with a 3-way switch is unbelievably good for a blues/classic rock sound, particularly with the switch in the middle posit. for both pups on at the same time. I plan on making the change this fall, and although I haven't decided definitely to go this way, it is one of the combos I'm seriously considering.
    Anybody out there tried this setup?

I tried a Tele with Vintage Noisless pups and thought they sounded dull and lifeless.

You may think this is crazy, but I have a set of Dimarzio Virtual Tele pickups in mine, and they sound very nice. The neck pickup is very Stratty, but the bridge is good'n Teleriffic.

I use the Fender noiseless in my Tele clone and they work for me.
    http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...=&threadid=565
    I know these pickups get a bad rap but in my guitar they sound good. I've had about 6 different sets of pickups in this guitar over the years, and for now the noiseless are doing the job. However I haven't liked the noiseless strat pickups I've played.