Thread: Burn on Bernie Hefner Guitars!

Forum Member

Burn on Bernie Hefner Guitars!

I was looking up some previous posts and came across some people talking about the B. Hefner company and I wanted to rant about my 2 guitars.

I had my first made guitars done by this company and the whole affair was a nightmare! First I ordered a Strat replacement neck for my 62' reissue. The wait was 4 months and I got this baseball bat of a neck w/ what seem to be strange proportions, although I really am not a Strat or Tele expert. At first I was happy with the neck, but slowly became uncomfortable to it's extra large design and size. I had specified for a neck bigger than the extra small 1995 62' reissue that I got (a neck that is not true specs.) I did not know exactly what I wanted, this much is true, but what I got was bad workmanship (you can see marks from brushing or rubbing the finish on the board.)

I had later a swamp ash Strat body made in Silver sparkle (really nice paint job!) and that took 9 months I kid you not. The body had to be cut to fit the neck, the electronics holes were not made and some other electric carvings were missing, when my tech installed the parts.

Bernie pushed me into having an all Maple telecaster made, when I had asked for a completly stock instrument that had alott of BITE to it. Now I feel I have a Tele that is too brite sounding and the neck is not the greatest.....so I AM NOT HAPPY!!!

I don't even remeber how I found out about them. I think it was some folks at Harmony Central> :gun2

Now it is a qestion of where I go for a replacement Strat neck... USA guitars or Warmoth, or maybey somewhere else...it's all so scary to me now!
    Mad John
    Zythum Studios
    1st Take Productions

"The present day Composer refuses to die!" - Edgard Varese 1921

Re: Burn on Bernie Hefner Guitars!

I've heard Warmoth are great necks, but I was thinking about your maple Tele, Maybe try shielding it with Copper shielding tape. It’s known tone down guitars quite a bit. Many in regular guitars don't like it and take it out, but in this case, I think it will help.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Boy!! I'm really glad I decided against them for finishing my thinline body. I called him (Hefner) up to ask him some finishing questions and was talked down to, and then hung up on when I disagreed with him

If you're looking for a replacement Tele neck go USA CG -- they can't be beat....

-Kevin
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

Try this: www.gregrogersguitars.com
    I can't vouch for them, I havn't bought anything from him. But he's got some cool lookin stuff.

Forum Member

Anyone else had work done by B. Hefner?
    Mad John
    Zythum Studios
    1st Take Productions

TFF Stage Crew

All I've heard are horror stories. Go USACG & you'll be happy.

Forum Member

I am getting a neck made by Tommy, as I write this. I spent about 35 minutes with him on the phone today. He is a very nice and helpful man!

Starting out with a Maple/Rosewood strat neck to fit my Fender 62' reissue.

I think I will be visiting USA more often!
    Mad John
    Zythum Studios
    1st Take Productions

Yes, Tommy Rosamond is an upstanding gentleman, and his company is top knotch in customer service and quality. I love the stuff (a Tele body and neck) I got from him

-Kevin
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

Forum Member

I had work done by B. Hefner and it was the worst experience that I have ever had. I ordered a neck and body last August and they told me it would be two weeks. I ended up getting the neck and body in October. They told me that they were finishing the fretwork and the bone nut. When the guitar came the fretwork was not done and there was no nut. I called them immediately and they said Bernie had left for the day. I then received a call from him on his cell phone and he seemed disturbed to have to talk to me. I had to ship the neck back for the fretwork and nut. When I received the neck for the second time the high E nut slot was misplaced and the fret work was marginal. I called B. Hefner back and he acted as though I was an idiot. As I put the guitar together and tried to set the guitar up I could not get the bridge saddles high enough. I kept looking for taller height adjustment screws and finally decided to take the guitar to a local shop to get setup. After some measurements the tech found that the measurements for the fretboard and neck pocket were off and we had to take more material out of the neck pocket. After all of this the guitar still plays terrible. I'm only posting this because I wouldn't want my worst enemy to have to deal with this company. Hopefully this helps some of you.

Forum Member

Bump...for anyone who might have something to add about the Hefner Company.
    Mad John
    Zythum Studios
    1st Take Productions

TFF Stage Crew

You might be waiting a while

TFF Stage Crew

Forum Member

Evidently his Playboy business is more lucrative...

Forum Member

I haven't finished the project yet, I ordered a 50s telecaster swamp ash body from him about one year ago. It took a long time it was done in the time he stated on his web site, 3 months to the day I ordered it. It is a nice piece of wood. The specs are spot on. I measured the neck pocket with a caliper. It should fit any fender telecaster spec neck. I have not ordered the neck yet. I have read a few posts like this one that have me second guessing the neck order from Hefner. I have noticed some fine print type things on his web site order pages.
    1. bodies do not come with a center seam unless it is specified.
    2. Necks are not finished and the frets are not dressed, only inserted. So all that work needs to be done after you get it. He offers all of those services and prices them out separately. If one was to order a completely finished neck from Hefner it would be in the 400.00 range.
    3. Necks are not cross cut unless specified.
    I have never called him. If I order the neck from him I will be calling him to specify that it be cross cut and that the cross cut mark be clearly visible. Based on what I have read here if he is ornery or condescending then I will be hanging up on him or any other vendor who displays that kind of mentality. I am leaning toward buying the neck from Hefner because I want it to fit. I am concerned about piecing a Hefner body with a Warmoth neck or USCG. I have been down that road before and it did not turn out well.

I have gad some dealings with Bernie but I guess not as bad as some of you guys, I travel to California weekly so I just pull my truck up to his place and go right in. Yes I do have to say Bernie's personality is to be desired sometimes but my parts were always ready. The last body I got was a one piece ash nice piece of wood IMO. I've never ordered any necks from him so I couldn't verify fitting I have either put in original fender neck or warmoth never had any problems, Good luck on your neck hellhound.

I've posted about Hefner on this forum before. I've got nothing but good things to say about his work and will to satisfy customers. To bad others have had ill experiences. To date, I've had about 6 instruments built by him.