Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: you know what would sound REALLY good? ( Clapton content)

you know what would sound REALLY good? ( Clapton content)

-->if say, Eric Clapton got together with a few guys ( guitar, bass, drums, organ, maybe harp? ) and jammed in a small dingy club, playing some old blues covers (....& NOT trying to imitate their singing, just use his own "natural-born" voice...)

and RECORDED & RELEASED it....60Hz hum, buzz & all. some old style, gritty old blues.....without all the polish & smootch of his live stuff lately.

am listening to the Howlin' Wolf London sessions, kind of inspired I guess. :) sounds miles better than 24 nights, etc. to my ears at least.......but something live would sound even better!!

Have you got the 2 CD set called Eric Clapton: Blues?

It's awesome. Disc 1 is studio. Old stuff, mostly blues covers. Disc 2 is the same but Live. Some duos with Freddy King on there, Albert Lee. Absolutely awesome live blackie tones, complete with amp and strat hum, buzz, and cigarrette exhales.

Maybe my favourite EC compilation. Check it out man. It ought to fill your order pretty close.
    Jason
    The Bear Guy

Forum Member

Re: you know what would sound REALLY good? ( Clapton content)

Originally posted by Jimi's Bolero
    -->if say, Eric Clapton got together with a few guys ( guitar, bass, drums, organ, maybe harp? ) and jammed in a small dingy club, playing some old blues covers (....& NOT trying to imitate their singing, just use his own "natural-born" voice...)

and RECORDED & RELEASED it....60Hz hum, buzz & all. some old style, gritty old blues.....without all the polish & smootch of his live stuff lately.

am listening to the Howlin' Wolf London sessions, kind of inspired I guess. :) sounds miles better than 24 nights, etc. to my ears at least.......but something live would sound even better!!
    Funny you should mention this; just finished watching "Blue Suede Shoes" recorded live in a small London venue back in '85; It was hosted by Carl Perkins, but plenty of EC, Harrison, Dave Edmunds, Ringo (lol) etc, in there, too.

Might not be exactly what you have in mind here, but the dynamics weren't far off; straight-ahead Rock n' Roll! ;)

I agree with Black Bear, I bought that 2cd Blues set and was blown away. Check it out, it sounds like just what you are after.

Black Bear, I have a Clapton CD called "Blues", didn't know there was a 2nd?

it's a lot of unreleased Layla era stuff, alternate takes etc. & is great!! if there is another wiht freddie etc I'll have to hunt it down for sure!!

do you live in europe? maybe they released a 2CD set there?

Preztone: is "blue suede shoes" out on DVD? sounds like something I'd like....!

Forum Member
    Preztone: is "blue suede shoes" out on DVD? sounds like something I'd like....!
    Jimi's B,
    Yes it is; in fact, this show was aired for a PBS fundraiser, tonight; WGBH in Boston. They were offering the VHS tape for a $60 donation and the DVD for an $80 gift. So, it's out there! ;)

Been around awhile, I'm sure, but was a first for me. Harrison was doing some great stuff on an orange Gretsch 6120 Nashville. :)

Jimi's Bolero,
    Here is the CD Set we are talking about:

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver.../itemid=775395

here here, Jim!!!

i wanna hear Clap with just drums, bass, his voice, and his original "blackie" thru a crummy bassman, all in a circle facing each other, all recorder with a single Neumann in the center of the room.

just like Otis Rush in dem olden days...

btw, has anyone noted how incredibly similar Clap and Otis Rush sing? their voices are nearly identical...
    Last edited by jokerjkny; 08-21-2002 at 12:48 AM.

Nothing against Clapton, he´s a hell of a Strat Player but the Live Recording I love most is Bryan Lee,
    "Live at the old Absinthe House Bar"
    both Volumes (Friday Night and Saturday Night).
    If you listen to it you can clearly feel the fun they had playing together that nite....

just my2c

bluesfreak :smokin

shawnT, that's the exact same CD I have, but it's only the first volume!

they must have released it as a 1CD version too. bummer, guess I need to buy it again to get the live stuff.

Bryan Lee? -->off to google :)

here's a great live recording, done in the audience with a minidisc setup: you can hear the snare rattling around, audience etc. I love this kind of ambience:

http://64.119.173.198/burak/live/sounds/sample3.mp3

EC did 5 nights at a small club in Chicago (Ledgends owned by Buddy Guy) on his From The Cradle tour. I tried like hell to get tics, but most went for promotion.
    Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?

Bryan Lee? -->off to google :)

here u go: www.bryan-lee.com

just bear in mind that this guy is blind since the age of 8...
    also on www.hob.com you can watch one of his Concerts....

cu
    bluesfreak :smokin
    Last edited by bluesfreak68; 08-21-2002 at 05:44 AM.

Forum Member
    I agree some of the old Clapton stuff is just amazing. Even Back to the cradle was pretty awesome. But he had that little period like 1981 to 1990 that really sucked. Some of the tunes where great but he used so many effects and Phil Collins............That guy can over effect anything.

I liked from the cradle too, but it drives me NUTS listening to his over-imitation of the originals' vocal styles.....I wish he had've just sung the songs normally.

I can't listen to it.....he sounds like a bad comedian!

Forum Member
    I hear what Your saying , there are a few parts where he strains a bit vocaly but as far as him singing the blues.......there is no doubt he was singing from past experience and Heartbreaking loss. If anything ever happened to my son(God forbid) I don't know if I could have handled it as well as EC. That really showed me alot about the man. He tossed that bottle aside and said No fuckin way ..........and just dove into the guitar (both unplugged and electric). There are some real blues on that albulm no doubt.
    He got that message across to me anyway.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by LGRooster
    ...he had that little period like 1981 to 1990 that really sucked.
    Yup...right along with everyone else! Oops, we already covered the '80s on a diff thread, didn't we?

Jimi's B,
    Clapton is playing his old Blackie on the Carl Perkins special; FWIW. :yay

Forum Member
    Are you sure that was blackie? that's the one were he is playing Macthboxblues right? I coulda swore that was Brownie. The 57 sunburst that sold for like 425,000. I'll have to check.

Forum Member

"You tawkin' to ME?!"

Are you sure that was blackie? that's the one were he is playing Macthboxblues right? I coulda swore that was Brownie. The 57 sunburst that sold for like 425,000. I'll have to check.
    If you're talkin' to me...I didn't catch the entire show, and musta missed "Matchbox"; glad to hear it's on the setlist, tho! Can't say his Strat wasn't Brown, over Black. Besides being on TV, he was seated during the hour or so that I caught. Can say the fretboard was extremely reliced, tho.
    Last edited by Preztone; 08-21-2002 at 09:13 AM.

I agree some of the old Clapton stuff is just amazing. Even Back to the cradle was pretty awesome. But he had that little period like 1981 to 1990 that really sucked. Some of the tunes where great but he used so many effects and Phil Collins............That guy can over effect anything.
    LMAO!

yea, him and Soldano's... ;)

Forum Member
    Originally posted by jokerjkny

LMAO!

yea, him and Soldano's... ;)
    It wasn't the soldano's......I've seen Warren haynes and Dicky Betts make those amps sound Godly..........but man he must have had some sick bradshaw effects rack going or something in the middle eighties. He dosen't even use the Lace sensor pups anymore in his line of signature strats. The sound was just so riddled with layers of effects. I really think phil Collins (Mr. electronica himself) had alot to do with his tones. Did he produce anything for Clapton? Sounds like it. Just give Clapton a strat and Twin..........:wail1 :yay

Yeah Prez. I believe that was brownie . The sunburst 57 that he used to record Layla with. That guitar sold for $425,000! Nice to be the Vice Pres. of Microsoft.............;) :yay

Forum Member
    Yeah Prez. I believe that was brownie . The sunburst 57 that he used to record Layla with. That guitar sold for $425,000! Nice to be the Vice Pres. of Microsoft.............;) :yay
    Thanks for the info, LG...still, I'd rather be Prez than Vice Prez. ;)

I never liked the lace sensors sound for Clapton. The noisless pickups are better, but I really like the old buzzy sound of blackie and his other old strats the best. Hey he's Clapton, he can do whatever he wants!
    Jason
    The Bear Guy

EC at Legends

I saw that one. EC was hot, but it was more of a performance than a blues jam. I also managed to see the Stones jam at Checkers - now THAT was a jam - Muddy would have been proud!

I've always thought that EC belonged(s) in the Stones - sure would have been interesting :-)

Speaking of Muddy, I had a long conversation with Memphis Slim's daughter about growing up with 'those' guys in the '50s. They used to get together at different people's houses on Sundays and jam for whoever came over. Some folks brought food, others donated for the rent money - sort of like those parties the Brit bands did before the Invasion. Anyways I still get goosebumps thinking about ALL those guys together in one living room.

Forum Member

Re: EC at Legends

Originally posted by Teleologist
    I saw that one. EC was hot, but it was more of a performance than a blues jam. I also managed to see the Stones jam at Checkers - now THAT was a jam - Muddy would have been proud!

I've always thought that EC belonged(s) in the Stones - sure would have been interesting :-)

Speaking of Muddy, I had a long conversation with Memphis Slim's daughter about growing up with 'those' guys in the '50s. They used to get together at different people's houses on Sundays and jam for whoever came over. Some folks brought food, others donated for the rent money - sort of like those parties the Brit bands did before the Invasion. Anyways I still get goosebumps thinking about ALL those guys together in one living room.
    Tele,
    You've probably heard the Brown Sugar outtake with Clapton(?). It's got a little slide action to it. EC as a Stone, eh? Gee, I dunno; if Taylor felt stifled by the Jagger/Richards compound, just imagine how a creatively prolific artist like Clapton would've fared. I say it wouldn't have lasted very long; bout a week, maybe. :lol2

Those rent parties go way back. I first read about them in a Billie Holiday biography. Accordingly, Lester Young, other members of Basie's band and maybe Fats Waller, etc...would really get down in Harlem at someone's house to stave off the landlord, one more month. Billie's rendition of "Gimme a Pigfoot", Fats' "The Joint Is Jumpin", and John Lee Hooker's "Rent House Boogie", characterize these fundraisers pretty well, IMO.

I agree, it would've been great to be in on the action with Muddy and the boys. Since that can no longer be done, I'll settle for a personal encounter with McKinley Morganfield in Central Park, mid-70s. :yay

Preztone

It's hard to know if they would have gotten along or not and now is probably too late. In that VH-1 special Clapton said that in the old days he didn't want to be a front-man, he just wanted to play blues or music based on blues, but couldn't find the right band. The Stones were such a band but never really had a great lead blues guitar player. If they had gotten together and it worked out, I'm sure the direction of both would have been different. I'd hate to miss Cream though, so let's not set the way-back machine all the way back to Brian Jones death. ;-)

Forum Member

Re: Preztone

It's hard to know if they would have gotten along or not and now is probably too late. In that VH-1 special Clapton said that in the old days he didn't want to be a front-man, he just wanted to play blues or music based on blues, but couldn't find the right band. The Stones were such a band but never really had a great lead blues guitar player. If they had gotten together and it worked out, I'm sure the direction of both would have been different. I'd hate to miss Cream though, so let's not set the way-back machine all the way back to Brian Jones death. ;-)
    The way-back machine...good 'un! :lolspin

Not to fuel an EC vs MT debate, but I'm not sure I agree with you where the Stones "never really had a great lead blues guitar player". I think Mick Taylor was such; for my money, at least. I have umteen versions of him proving it on "Love In Vain". No doubt in mind that he woulda/shoulda/coulda had many more opps if the Glimmer Twins weren't so constrictive...not that their results were bogus, either.

As if I need tell ya, my fave Stones period was the "Taylor Era". I was very upset when he left...stunned and stoned; totally bummed out. Listening to my '75 TOTA bootlegs only made me weep more. Can't prove it, now; but I single-handedly drove up the stock price of Kleenex tissue corp., by more than 30% in the Fall/Winter of '75.
    :wah :wah :wah
    Last edited by Preztone; 08-22-2002 at 06:45 PM.

Forum Member
    No doubt that Mick Taylor period produced the best Stones music and my favorite LP....Sticky Fingers. Hey anybody check out the new Guitar World with Kieth on the cover? he dosen't look a day over 85....................

Originally posted by Black Bear
    I never liked the lace sensors sound for Clapton. The noisless pickups are better, but I really like the old buzzy sound of blackie and his other old strats the best. Hey he's Clapton, he can do whatever he wants!
    Paging Mr. Chris Kinman.... Kinman...

Will a Mr. Chris Kinman pleez call a Mr. Eric Clapton... :p

Re: Preztone

IMHO, i think EC woulda kicked ass in the "Band". the new DVD is evidence of that. god knows, Robbie cant play fo $#* ... :rolleyes:

but it sounds like EC doesnt wanna do nothing more than (God forbid!!!;)) wank... if he had a little more discipline both as a band player and songwriter, he woulda made a helluva addition to the Band, and a helluva team with Robertson.

and in return, Robbie woulda taught Clap a thing or two about writing a great song. EC could have reinvented and revolutionized himself completely with Robbie's help, instead of pulling clunkers from his butt like Pilgrim and Reptile.

but the world will never know..

speaking of which, could you imagine an Allman Bros. / the Band tour??? it'd be like Derek & the Dominos mach 3!

.........faints..........
    Last edited by jokerjkny; 08-22-2002 at 07:30 PM.

Forum Member

"Take a load off fanny..."

Joker,
    You have to be a fan of the "Last Waltz"(?). Arguably, one of the best rock concert films ever released. So many great performances, from EC to Paul Butterfield to The Staples. Bought it years ago; have about run the tape off the spools. :yay

Forum Member
    Hey guys, I just got a chance to read this thread, and I see that you guys are talking about a video of Clapton playing "Matchbox Blues" with Carl Perkins. Are you talking about the old Cinemax "BLUE SUEDE SHOES:A Rockabilly Session with Carl Perkins and Friends" video from `86 with George Harrison, Dave Edmunds, Ringo Starr, Lee Rocker, RoseAnne Cash, etc.? I own that video, and if that is the video that you guys are talking about, Clapton definitely played "Blackie" on that show. I also have a video clip of Clapton, along with the Dominos, playing "Matchbox" with Carl Perkins and Johnny Cash on the "Johnny Cash Show" from 1970. Clapton played "Brownie" (a `56, not a `57) on that taping. I don`t think that "Blackie" made too many appearances, if any at all, before his `73 "comeback" from his heroin problem. FWIW, those are the only two videos that I`ve ever seen of Clapton playing "Matchbox Blues" with Carl Perkins, but there may be some other one that I`m not aware of that you guys are referring to.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by 5758359
    Hey guys, I just got a chance to read this thread, and I see that you guys are talking about a video of Clapton playing "Matchbox Blues" with Carl Perkins. Are you talking about the old Cinemax "BLUE SUEDE SHOES:A Rockabilly Session with Carl Perkins and Friends" video from `86 with George Harrison, Dave Edmunds, Ringo Starr, Lee Rocker, RoseAnne Cash, etc.? I own that video, and if that is the video that you guys are talking about, Clapton definitely played "Blackie" on that show.
    Yup, "Blue Suede Shoes"...that's the one. Shot in '85; released in '86 (it appears). We've been bantering about which Strat EC was using that night. I honestly don't have a clue if it was Brownie or Blackie. How did you know it was Blackie? Whichever one it was...'sure sounded great! ;)

{Pardon, but is your TFF ID your phone # or your prison #...or both?} :lolspin

Forum Member
    Hey Preztone, I can see very clearly on the video that it`s "Blackie", not the `56 sunburst that he called "Brownie". You`re right, he and the guitar sounded great!! It wasn`t too long after this that he switched to the signature series Strats. Maybe a year or less.

My TFF ID name is just the same one that I use on the LPF. No phone numbers or prison numbers!!! Lol!! I was in a hurry and I couldn`t think of any name that I liked, so I used my Historic Les Paul`s model year numbers: a `57, a `58 and three `59`s!! I really don`t like it, but that`s my user name!! If I could change it I would!!

Just stick on 'Layla' and give 'Key To The Highway' a twirl. da blues don't come much better than that.

Forum Member
    Also great blues from "Layla" besides "Key To The Highway" is "Have You Ever Loved A Woman?" and "Nobody Knows You When You`re Down And Out". Clapton and Allman just wail on those three classic blues tunes!!

Re: Re: Preztone

Originally posted by jokerjkny

instead of pulling clunkers from his butt like Pilgrim and Reptile.
    .........faints..........
    Oh man. Pilgrim was a $16 coffee coaster.
    Jason
    The Bear Guy

Mick Taylor

I loved that period too, but my impression of MT was that although he could play the blues, he really wanted to go in a more Jimmy Page-like direction(and Page can play blues too), both in terms of the music and getting more limelight. That's not to say Keith and Mic were blameless.

I admit I am a bit biased towards the old blues masters since I grew up in Chicago listening to them in clubs, meeting and talking lics with them(as in 'how the heck do you play that?'), and in some cases jamming with them. JMHO, but the Brits missed some things in the translation. I'm one of those folks who feels that Clapton is a much better blues player now than ever before. IMO Bloomfield came closest to nailing that style(and he hung around the clubs too).

know what would be really cool? if he stopped playin those lace sensor 5db of boost p.o.s. and went back to vintage or at least custom shop relics!
    leo fender was a genius and he didn't even play the guitar, thank god for george fullerton! ADMINISTRAITOR OF THE MESA/BOOGIE FORUM

1959Burst,

AMEN!!!!!!! :tw59

or a reverse firebird!!!