Thread: Installed neck crooked! HELP!

Installed neck crooked! HELP!

I just installed a new Warmoth neck on an mij strat. The neck came pre-drilled, but after I installed the neck, I found that there's about a millimeter-wide gap between the neck and base-side of the pocket. Also, the low E is closer to the edge of the fretboard than the high E.

What are my options? Toothpicks and elmer's?

Someone told me that it's best if the neck screws don't thread into the body. Perhaps I could make this so, thus giving the neck more room to move around so I could maybe just nudge it into the right spot?

Or perhaps that's a recipe for ruining everything, and I should take it to a professional.
    Last edited by ManiacalMetalist; 05-21-2004 at 03:21 PM. Reason: punctuation (sorry, my wife's a copy editor)

Re: Installed neck crooked! HELP!

Don't panic. Loosen the strings slightly, then loosen the neck screws. Put the neck where you want it, and tighten it.

If there's still too much gap in the pocket, take the neck off and open up the body holes a tad so you can move the neck sideways.

If that's too much work, take it in.

Thanks, Wilko,
    I was hoping to hear that. I mean, playing with toothpicks, dowels and glue is fun and all, but your solution's way easier.

Forum Member

The holes in the body are clearance holes for the screws and should be bigger in diameter than the screws. The "threads" should be in the neck. Jay at Vintique sells nice thread inserts for this application.