Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Country Music Stereotype

TFF Stage Crew

Re: The Country Music Stereotype

If you really don't know (which is scary)...

Steve Cropper was the guitarist for Booker T & the MGs. They were a band in and of themselves. Surely you've heard the instrumentals "Green Onions" or "Time Is Tight" (virtually a staple still on the Letterman show) or "Hiphugger".

More importantly, they were the backing band in the studio for roughly a gazillion famous artists that came out of the "Stax Sound"--"Southern Soul" as it was often called. Otis Redding, Bill Withers, Sam & Dave, Wilson Pickett. He was a player with all of them, in addition to producing and arranging credits on many of the records.

He played a Telecaster by the way, nearly exclusively.

Ever seen "The Blues Brothers"? (If you say no I'll drive down there and smack you). Steve Cropper and Donald "Duck" Dunn (The bassist in the picture above) are part of that band. The Band Elwood, The BAND!!!

Are you serious? Steve Cropper played for the Mar-Keys, Booker T and the MG's, and was the studio guitarist on almost every Stax and Atlantic R&B recording ever made. Most younger people probably know him best as the guitar player in the Blues Brothers movies. He's a legend in the music biz. Do a Google search and you'll see.
    Knowledge is the small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify. -- Ambrose Bierce

Jack, we must have posted a reply at the same time. You beat me to the Enter key.
    Knowledge is the small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify. -- Ambrose Bierce

TFF Stage Crew

It's the radar. Gets me in there every time. :ahem

I read about Booker T and the MGs in a book somewhere, but the first time I heard them was a few weeks ago. There was something on TV about a portable jukebox that John Lennon took with him on tours, and there were a load of musicians talking about the tracks he chose to put in the jukebox. Green Onions was one, and they showed some footage of it being played live. And that guitar tone made me green with envy...
    I never used to like rosewood fingerboard Teles, but Steve looked so damn cool with that guitar. So now I have gas for every type of Telecaster there is :spin

By the way, doesn't Steve play one of those Peavey Telecasters with the three standard and six Piezo pickups now? I read about it somewhere, but can't remember if it was Cropper or someone else...
    i bet this really annoy's you if your a grammar freak.

Quote Originally Posted by solsurfr
    I'm wondering about that stereotype about the Tele and Country Music.

Is it still accurate? How many of you guys don't play country? Or feel that the tele is the best country music guitar out there still? Or feel that the tele is the best guitar out there for all types of music and why?
    I'm pretty excited about getting my first tele but my style is more rock/blues based so a part of me is wondering if a tele would fit the bill. A friend of mine swears on Tele's as being the most versatile guitar out there. He's an amazing musician and from what I've seen he can certainly back it up.

Thoughts?

Yes, I think it's the best *simple machine* as is, But w/ just very minor mods, you can make it any guitar you'd ever need. IE; the Fat Tele. And if you wanted to cheat, you could replace the WideRange pup w/ a Gibby PAF HB. Then you could almost guarantee to have a full pallat

imho

and enjoy your new/1st tele..........
    Imanidiot.

Quote Originally Posted by frank thomson
    Yes, I think it's the best *simple machine* as is, But w/ just very minor mods, you can make it any guitar you'd ever need. IE; the Fat Tele. And if you wanted to cheat, you could replace the WideRange pup w/ a Gibby PAF HB. Then you could almost guarantee to have a full pallat

imho

and enjoy your new/1st tele..........
    Thanks! I am excited about my first tele. I'm going to give it a serious go this year and see what happens. I'm really looking forward to it.

Power_13
    Peavey makes signature model Cropper Classic Tele. I'm not sure what configuration is used on his personal guitar, but the current model has a twin blade single coil in the neck and a quad blade humbucker in the bridge.

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by dafack01
    I'm not THAT young!
    No you're not. But we're that old. ;)

Forum Member

I'm surrounded by old geezers! :rofl

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dafack01
    I'm surrounded by old geezers! :rofl
    Old geezers who could play AND drink you under the table, sonny.

hell, i play punk w/mine (okay, and some country). it's definately my main squeeze, and w/ a little tweaking of amp settings and effects pedals you can cover a whole lot of turf. i know there's a jazz cat that plays teles (or the yamaha pacifica tele clone). his name escapes me at the moment (mike something?)

anyways, welcome to the "bright side".

Quote Originally Posted by pbradt
    Old geezers who could play AND drink you under the table, sonny.
    :O I don't want anybody to play me under the table...it sounds wrong...

Well...maybe a couple of people...but it still sounds wrong :spin
    i bet this really annoy's you if your a grammar freak.

Quote Originally Posted by Power_13
    :O I don't want anybody to play me under the table...it sounds wrong...

Well...maybe a couple of people...but it still sounds wrong :spin

yea......uh.......well...........uh............... i.............uhh.......umm....
    Imanidiot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pbradt
    Old geezers who could drink you under the table, sonny.
    Probably. I'm a lightweight!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bonefish
    hell, i play punk w/mine (okay, and some country). it's definately my main squeeze, and w/ a little tweaking of amp settings and effects pedals you can cover a whole lot of turf. i know there's a jazz cat that plays teles (or the yamaha pacifica tele clone). his name escapes me at the moment (mike something?)

anyways, welcome to the "bright side".
    Mike Stern. Brilliant player. Gatton was known to drag his tele and vibrolux to a few jazz gigs too.

TFF Stage Crew

And how. I love Mike Stern.

Mike McCready is another guy who plays a tele and whom I'm a fan of. Even with those classic rock tones that Pearl Jam uses, he manages to get his, I think, '52 Tele sounding amazing. Once I get my new tele, I'm going to take it thru the gauntlet of music and find out the real deal. The band I'm in now plays corporate parties so we play a lot of mainstay standard stuff from all decades. I plan on using the tele for the next gig and put my Les Paul on the bench.

d. boon from the minutemen, dammit!

-Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by greentone
    Mike Stern. Brilliant player. Gatton was known to drag his tele and vibrolux to a few jazz gigs too.
    A couple more Tele jazzers - Ted Greene, and Ed bickert (played with Paul Desmond ,among others).
    Tonedrip

"The shrink said I'm Tonal retentive".