Thread: In search of an instructor

Forum Member

In search of an instructor

I am not a total dweeb when playing guitar. I can play some rythm, fingerpick some and slide some. But that is my biggest problem, "some". It just seems that I never really progressed any futher than "some". Almost as if I am in a rut.

Having said that, I was wondering if live guitar instruction would do me better. One on one or group does not matter at this point. I guess I am one of those people that you have to show me how you do it then I may be able to pick it up. I listened to some of the clips in the Jam Zone and wondered to myself how you people can just pick up a rythm and play to it. I tried and failed miserably.

My question is, what should I be looking for in an instructor? Obviously technical ability but aside from that, are there any questions I should ask my prospective instructor or is this a hit and miss proposition? Any do's or dont's?

Incidentally, my interests include acoustic and electric blues, both picked and fingerpicked. I have taken some classical instruction way back when but playing lead to some rythm is what I am mainly interested in learning. Ultimately, I would like the ability to play in a jam without fear or choking.

Thoughts? Ideas?
    or should I just slash?

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.

Re: In search of an instructor

I teach classes at a local community center, check near you if they are offered.

Also, ask at your local guitar or music shoppe. They will know who the area instructors are.
    If you do not work well with a particular instructor, change to another. It takes practice and you will not get out of it what you do not put in. Good luck.

Hi Man,

I have had many teachers and I also teach sometimes down here in Australia.

I have had lessons for some very good players, and I have had lessons from some very good teachers.

The lessons from the good teachers were more valuable for me; this is because teaching is an art form in its self, people are all different and a good teacher knows this and adapts the teaching style to suit the individual.

I have done teacher training and I found that there is a lot more to being a good teacher than I had suspected.

I have also found that some very good players are too arrogant and egotistical to be good teachers.

So you should try and find a good teacher, if they are also a good player then that’s a bonus.

It also help if you can find someone who is interested in the same style of music that you are.

And as Sven said, if you are not getting much out of a teacher then try another one.

:blbros
    I started set out in life to become a master of war chaos and destruction, Instead I became student of humor.

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaseinthesound
    I have done teacher training and I found that there is a lot more to being a good teacher than I had suspected.

I have also found that some very good players are too arrogant and egotistical to be good teachers.
    Absolutely correct. Just because someone is a killer player does not mean they are a good teacher, although they may do alot of teaching.
    It's a totally different skill. You'll get much more benefit from a good teacher.

Teaching takes a lot of patience and requires a genuine desire to help others and without judgement.

We are all pretty hard on ourselves, and we don't need a teacher to be judgmental or impatient... just critical in a positive way.

I teach occasionally, and find I learn plenty by teaching, even if it is something else completely other than the music or theory I might be conveying.

Try to find a good teacher. Lots of killer players with no patience out there...
    Moe Humble
    = = = = = = =
    Pay NO attention to that man behind the curtain....

Forum Member

Food for thought. Thanx for the info.

As an aside, I have heard a lot of a book/cd combo, Blues You Can use. Anybody know if this is any good? :blbros