Thread: Amp transport

Amp transport

My new '65 Deluxe Reverb came home in the box and I noticed that it's shipped upside down...obviously so the tubes won't vibrate out with the help of gravity.

So...I was wonderining...Isn't it maybe best to transport any tube amp to gigs a long distance away upside down?

Re: Amp transport

I prefer to transport my amps face down so that the weight of the speaker doesn't pull out of the baffle if the vehicle should hit a big pothole or something. Tubes seem to do fine at any angle, though I usually check them before firing up the amp at a gig.

One of my previous jobs was delivering gear and we flipped the Fender amps (in roadcases) every which way and they held up fine under grueling conditions.

makes no difference in the world. transport it anyway you can. most of the time i lay it face down, but that is just so it doesn't flip over.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

south of something, north of somewhere, west of over there and just to the east of where I left my sanity. Right where I wanna be. Chunga chunga it's the sland!

I always have transported amps face up or face down, purely because they wouldn't fall like that. I agree that on it's face reduces the risk of speaker/baffle problems with potholes, but, with an open back cab, it meant more risk to the paper cones from a drummer loading up the car with his cymbal stands.

Old Tele man

I always transport my amp(s) laying speaker UP, so that NOTHING (cords, tubes, tuners, etc.) can accidently "fall" into the speakers. And, just to protect them (spkrs) even more, I lay a piece of 1/8" plywood on top to guarantee NOTHING falls onto them. Using factory covers helps too!

As for "shipping" them, I think HEAVY-END down makes a LOT of sense...have NEVER seen anything fall UP...only DOWN! (wink, wink)!