Thread: "Satin" that maple fingerboard

Forum Member

"Satin" that maple fingerboard

It has low frets and is pretty sticky to boot. What's the best way to de-gloss it just enough that fingertips don't stick so much?

Forum Member

Re: "Satin" that maple fingerboard

0000 steel wool works wonders on the backs of necks... you could tried it on a maple fretboard, but I've never done it. Dan Erlewine states it can be used to put a satin finish on a maple board in one of his books.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

I've done exactly that to almost all of my maple necks. In fact, I have to re-do it on occasion in order to maintain that satin feel. I'd cover your pickups first, otherwise you'll get remnants of steel wool stuck on and around the pickups. (or you could remove the neck first) :)
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Forum Member

Sounds like a winner guys. Thanks.

Forum Member

I couldn't get a hold of the #0000 so I took a chance on #000 and it worked like a charm. The fingerboard is a little duller but wow is it ever easier to bend strings now. They feel buttery on a bend rather than on the verge of breaking (I use .011's) -- almost like playing a Les Paul. Now all it needs is a Duncan Twang Banger in the bridge and some nice, TALL frets and it'll be perfect...