Thread: Kinman FV-HMS Noiseless Pickups

Kinman FV-HMS Noiseless Pickups

G'day - just saying hello and posting a review of this product.

I've been playing guitar off-and-on since about 1963 as a rank amateur - greatly influenced by Hank Marvin and The Shadows.

Not sure what put me on to the 'Kinman' site http://www.kinman.com but what I read there, along with Hank's personal testimonial was enough to close the deal.

I purchased the FV-HMS pickup set along with the K9 solderless harness kit (multiple pickup selections/mixes, new pots, knobs etc).

The web-site ordering process was straight-forward. Order tracking was informative.

My order arrived well-packaged and in good condition.

Installation was easy - though some details varied very slighty from the install-PDF.

My set-up questions posted on the site were promptly and helpfully responded to.

Now - the sound.......

First - yep - there is absolutely no hum on any pickup selection at any volume.

Second - does the tone match Hank's style? According to my (admittedly amateur) ears - ABSOLUTELY!!! Not that Hank would have anything to fear from my playing ability!

Was it all worth it? Certainly. Would I have made the purchase knowing what I do now? Definately.
    Amateur - started playing about 1963 - MIM Standard Strat (2007) Kinman FV-HMS pickups/K9 pots, GFS steel-block tremolo, VML Easy-Mute arm; MagicstopmEFTP/Zoom 508 Delay; Marshall VS30R Valvestate

Re: Kinman FV-HMS Noiseless Pickups

I found that site pretty painful as I had to log In and create an account just to get a price !!!!

How much are those Pickups in US Dollars anyway ?

I had bought a set of Woodsrocks and Trad Mk II. Neither did it for me. I ignored the Hank Marvin soundclips, for some stupid reason. I recently listened to them and realized those were the ones I should have ordered. Now money is tight and I can't afford them.

Love both Tele sets he sells, especially the Broadcaster set!

Glad you like the Hank Marvin set. Some day I'll have them in my Strat.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally bored View Post
    ...How much are those Pickups in US Dollars anyway ?
    Including shipping: FV-HMS pickup set approx US$455; K9 solderless harness & pots US$140.

They are not cheap - but that's the point - they are not cheap. They work and sound great IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by DoobieK View Post
    ...Glad you like the Hank Marvin set. Some day I'll have them in my Strat.
    What I saved on buying a Mexican Strat over a more expensive model was well spent on the Kinmans. I would have wanted to change to the Kinmans anyway.
    Amateur - started playing about 1963 - MIM Standard Strat (2007) Kinman FV-HMS pickups/K9 pots, GFS steel-block tremolo, VML Easy-Mute arm; MagicstopmEFTP/Zoom 508 Delay; Marshall VS30R Valvestate

Wow !

I quess I need to try a set and evaluate them before I diss them but... I'm quessing they sound good ?

I'm still diggin my Dimarzio VV's for $210 a set vs. $450.
    Last edited by Totally bored; 05-18-2008 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally bored View Post
    Wow !

I quess I need to try a set and evaluate them before I diss them but... I'm quessing they sound good ?

I've got the Area 61's and paid $180. I played the guitar the last set of a gig last weekend and was very happy with how they sound. You can buy a lot of gasoline with the $270 cost savings.

I have a set of Woodstocks and a set of Blues. The Woodstocks were to bright in my ash bodied maple fretboard deluxe but were good in an older alder Am Std with rosewood board. Love the blues in the A. Deluxe (my #1) with the K7 harness. Expensive yes, but they are as Kinman describes on his site.

I had these... 2 sets in 2 different guitars, in fact. My fav set from Chris. This set is actually quite nice when clean, but when set on distortion, I was surprised how much you had to work the guitar to get it to scream. Don't get me wrong. I liked it...

But then I discovered CS69s...

Not exactly a fair comparison here... I've tried the VVs, and yes, they're not too bad. But the FVHMS set is unlike most strat pickups out there. It's got such a strong belltone, every note kinda chimes... The only reason I took them out was because I preferred the CS69s over them in time. But between the VVs and the HMS? I'd say they're both very different, and I wouldn't look at the cost to judge it's value.

Quote Originally Posted by demioblue View Post
    Not exactly a fair comparison here... I've tried the VVs, and yes, they're not too bad. But the FVHMS set is unlike most strat pickups out there. It's got such a strong belltone, every note kinda chimes... The only reason I took them out was because I preferred the CS69s over them in time. But between the VVs and the HMS? I'd say they're both very different, and I wouldn't look at the cost to judge it's value.
    American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This val·ue // ", "6"); interfaceflash.addParam("loop", "false"); interfaceflash.addParam("quality", "high"); interfaceflash.addParam("menu", "false"); interfaceflash.addParam("salign", "t"); interfaceflash.addParam("FlashVars", "soundUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fcache.lexico.com%2Fdictiona ry%2Faudio%2Fahd4%2FV%2FV0016000.mp3"); interfaceflash.write(); // ]]> Audio Help (vāl'yōō) Pronunciation Key
    n.
    1. An amount, as of goods, services, or money, considered to be a fair and suitable equivalent for something else; a fair price or return.

No matter what your definition of value is, $450 for three new pickups is not a value to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a set of Hank Marvins. At the going rate it ain't happening. If I could find a set used and had a pile of money laying around, I would jump all over them.

The Area 61 sound great live. If I was going to record I would put the CS Texas Specials back in the guitar. I thought those sounded stellar.

...You can buy a lot of gasoline with the $270 cost savings.
    - but when you drive a Rolls Royce you don't factor in the price of gas

Quote Originally Posted by boritz View Post
    - but when you drive a Rolls Royce you don't factor in the price of gas

Dimarzio's are for Chevy guys I quess

I'm good with that.

I've owned Chevys. They ran great, were comfortable and looked good. Now my Lamborgini, what an ugly, uncomfortable piece of crap that was.

No matter what your definition of value is, $450 for three new pickups is not a value to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a set of Hank Marvins. At the going rate it ain't happening. If I could find a set used and had a pile of money laying around, I would jump all over them.

The Area 61 sound great live. If I was going to record I would put the CS Texas Specials back in the guitar. I thought those sounded stellar.
    Of course. If you place monetary value onto a product, and that's the only way you'll look at it, then I guess it's not the thing for you ever.

I had every set of Kinman's pups. I tried everything. Yes, it was costly. I'm not debating that. But the intrinsic value I got from those sets was:

1. Education - I learnt what I liked and did not like about pickups.
    2. Variety - I was exposed to a huge array of tonal differences, which I guess I might not have been so anal to try had it all not been from one source.
    3. Happiness - After knowing that the go-to bridge pup for me would be the HX-85 and the complete set I loved the most was the FV-HMS, I actually had hours and hours of enjoyment with those. Most of the recordings I did on TFF Jamzone were using those HMS pups...

I liked it so much that I actually bought 2 of those sets for both strats at one time. They were still the only set I kept after everything else had been sold. The remaining strat I have does not have these, because those were sold together with my black strat. Someone wanted the guitar as is, since he liked the tone so much. I just might get another set in the future if I find another strat I don't know what to do with...

But I stress again, that judging a set of pickups by it's cost isn't the aurally correct thing to do.

The truth is, this was the LAST set I ever thought of trying from Kinmans. I'm not a Hank Marvin fan, and I never thought this would be that different from what I'd expect, and what I've tried before. (c'mon... I had all 3 of his other sets... I thought I had it covered.)

Until I got one set out of pure curiosity (that, and that the blues set wasn't doing it for me). That was the moment. This set is so different from everything else I've heard. It's got this "honk" to the pickups I never thought possible from a single coil sized pup.

Forum Member

I've owned Chevys. They ran great, were comfortable and looked good. Now my Lamborgini, what an ugly, uncomfortable piece of crap that was.

I just think $450 is a ridiculous price for a set of pickups, IMO.