Thread: fender double neck.

Forum Member

fender double neck.

I remember a few decades ago fender making a small number of double necks, the lower neck was a strat and the top neck was a hockey stick twelve string. Antoria did a copy as well with maple necks and an all white body, has any one else seen these guitars or know any info about them. Ive searched the net and cant find anything about them, i did speak to a guitar shop owner about it. He said a friend bought one that arrived in england, and has a poster of a similar one on the shop wall.

Forum Member

Re: fender double neck.

Warmoth makes a combo J bass and Strat, may be they could custom do you the 12 and 6, let me warn you though, I have been thru a lot of 12 strings and the only one that really falls in tune right is a Rickenbacker with 12 saddle bridge. And they only make 2 out of all their 12 string models that come with the 12 saddle bridge. I do not know about you but a out of tune 12 string drives me twice as nuts as a 6 string!!

Gravity Jim

No need for custom: Warmoth makes double Strat and double Tele bodies, in addition to the bass/Strat cut.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/bodies...tion=d_scaster

I'm pretty sure a Strat XII body has the same size neck rout as a normal Strat body. So a Strat or Tele double-neck body would work.
    The 12-string bridge rout would need to be be done like a hardtail.

Here's what a Strat XII bridge looks like.
    The normal E-to-E set goes through the body, like on a hardtail Strat.
    The octave strings terminate at the bridge plate, toploader style.

There are 6 adjustable saddles, but each establishes 2 different lengths for the pair of strings crossing it.

I've played a couple of these and they seem to work pretty well.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

Thanks everybody for your swift help, i think i now know what my next project will be.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    I'm pretty sure a Strat XII body has the same size neck rout as a normal Strat body. So a Strat or Tele double-neck body would work.
    The 12-string bridge rout would need to be be done like a hardtail.

Here's what a Strat XII bridge looks like.
    The normal E-to-E set goes through the body, like on a hardtail Strat.
    The octave strings terminate at the bridge plate, toploader style.

There are 6 adjustable saddles, but each establishes 2 different lengths for the pair of strings crossing it.

I've played a couple of these and they seem to work pretty well.
    The example you've posted is the "re-issue" Strat XII bridge. However, the first incarnation of this guitar (ca 1985) used the bridge from Fender's original Fender XII (Jazzmaster-based platform). It loaded all 12 strings from the rear and used a substantially-larger base plate on the front of the instrument. Intonating that bridge was a real exercise in patience.

The later Gotoh bridge is actually pretty well engineered. I have one of these guitars in LPB and for the price it is a bargain compared to the Ric. If you need some cheap "jangle" for an occasional Tom Petty tune this is a good deal.

Forum Member

The Gotoh-style is MILES better than either the Rick 12 bridge or the older Fender (Electric XII or 1st gen. 12 string Strat). I have a Hamer 12 string guitar that came stock with that bridge and it is the most stable of all the 12 string guitars I've owned over the last 20 years. For the record, I've owned several Ricks, a Fender and Gibson 1275s (not the crappy Epiphone ones), and play a 12 regularly.

I've got a photo somewhere of a Fender Custom Shop Strat-Tele combo double neck. Will see if I can dig it out for you.

Forum Member

Strats and Mustangs and Coronados...OH MY!

Dang. Another guilty pleasure...Christopher Cross...what a clear, pure tenor voice.

Never knew he played electric guitar - never mind that cool doubleneck!

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."