Thread: NPD--Gone all vintagy

NPD--Gone all vintagy

I just got in two Rickenbacker bass pups--a neck Toaster and bridge Horseshoe. I know I'll never get all the way there, but I'm trying to Sgt. Pepper-ize my bass to get as close to that tone as possible. After looking at other companies' pups, I decided to get actual Ric pups. A few people on a Ric forum praised these pups and suggested that I go with them, and so I did.

I'm very excited. Though my bass already sounds great, I want a little something different out of it. I want it to do what my Jazz Bass can't.

It'll be a few weeks before my solder-skilled friend can help me with it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: NPD--Gone all vintagy

Fun stuff to buy parts. IMNSHO the real magic of that tone comes from dead flatwound strings. Oh, and recording direct is a huge part of that sound. It's just the Ric with no cab sound.

The 70s and later Rick pickups are too loud so turning down the volume helps on 4001s.

Well, I remember reading about bass amp mic-ing on Sgt. Pepper because they put the mic in a bucket in front of the amplifier. McCartney was known to plug directly into the mixer though.

Oh yes, I think I've got a set of flat wounds. If not, I'll sure get them.
    Last edited by ch willie; 05-12-2013 at 04:02 AM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I've got flatwounds on my P bass, but my Ricy is set up with that roundwound sound.

I'm with Wilko, get'cha some bright roundwounds, and a pick! You can thank me later...

I'll measure my pup height for ya too if'n ya want. Not to brag, but I think I got one of the best sounding Rics around. Jerk ass comment, I know, but everyone LOVES my Ric! Even non musicians can hear the difference!!!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Sure, Chucko. I'd love to know pup heights. I've heard here and elsewhere that Macca used the flatwounds. I've got both to try.

I think he prefers those, cuz I read the same thing. As for me though, I want that big ringing "piano tone" (for lack of a less cliched description) from my Ric. So that's why I have mine set up the way I do.

I also leave all the pots wide open, but switch between a pick and fingers, and also vary my attack and where I hit the strings. With a bass as responsive and toneful as this it really makes a difference!

Best of luck and have fun! (when you finally get them wired in) If I lived close by I'd be more than happy to help you out! But, alas, I can only type out my comments and tips on this interwebs forum...
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I like the piano thing with roundwounds for my own playing when using the Ric. That's what I loved about them when younger. I was all about the Chris Squire sound or other players who used roundwound like Greg Lake and Stanley Clarke.

The Paul sound is flatwound all the way. I love the way it makes his lines just own the songs. So melodic and up front. Fewer overtones just leaves clean notes. I really love his sound with Wings too. Probably the same set of strings used for years. That farty no decay thud on Silly Love songs is what I think of when I think of great Paul playing.

Me too, Wilko. The first song I played on my Ric, the day it came in, was Silly Love Songs. That bass sound is ONE of my ideal Ric tones. I also love the bass tones on Wings Over America (not just Paul's Ric, but Denny's Jazz Bass).

Chucko, I wished you lived nearby just so I could pick your brain!

Funny thing about bass (heck, ANY tones) is that the most iconic ones are often from the opposite of what many gear snobs are after.

SOo many instrument makers strive for the most sustain, the most resonance, the most etc., but things like Paul's old Hofners just have that THUD and no fast decay (unless he's milking the feedback) the instrument just lays there.

Add a player to put some punch into what he's playing.

Dead "flatwound" strings, low output passive pickups. Of course a Rickenbacker is no slouch, but those strings. woof.

He used the dampening pad on the Ric, and he'd put a piece of something in his Hofner to get that thud.

I know I'll never have the full Macca tone. You could give me his bass, and I'd be close, but attack, vibrato, and other idiosyncrasies come into the picture. I just want my Ric to go in that direction as far as possible.