Thread: flatwound / roundwound

flatwound / roundwound

Which is best for which kind of playing. I realized yesterday when ordering bass strings that I couldn't remember which I want. I bought roundwounds for rock and blues. I've always confused round and flatwound.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: flatwound / roundwound

I prefer round wound strings for guitar. Beyond that, I prefer round wound that have a round core rather than the hex core. The round core seems to produce less tension in the feel of the string. Even on my ES 175, which I mostly use on jazz gigs, I prefer round wound strings.

I don't play bass very often but I like the sound of flat wounds on a bass.

Flat wound is old school thumpin' bass. If you want real old school, get the ones with the black tape over the flat wound strings.

Round wounds (Rotosounds in particular) were made popular initially by Chris Squire, John Entwistle and Larry Graham for their more aggressive sound. Of course, there's a whole spectrum between those two extremes.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Gravity Jim

When I switched from round wounds to flats on my Deluxe P-bass, I was amazed to find I could still get bright and aggressive sounds from it... The only thing missing is the "clank," cause it won't do that. But I can still get a real rocky sound by playing with a pick and real toppy Jaco-type tones using the J-pup and playing near the bridge. The comfort and lack of finger squeak is pure bliss. I tried a couple of brands, and ended up with TIs, which have WAY lower tension than anything you can buy. They did cost a bit more, but I bet I don't buy anoth for five years at least.