Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fender Precision and Jazz basses

Fender Precision and Jazz basses

I know that the pickup configurations and body styles differ between the Precision and Jazz basses.

What are the differences in tone? What does the Precision do that the Jazz can't and vice verse?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Fender Precision and Jazz basses

I don't think one can do anything the other can do without you making it do it - but that is my opinion.

I have played P Basses that I Loved the sound of and some I hated. I LOVE the tone I get out of most J basses right off the line. Some will say that the P is puchier, and it CAN be -so.....
    I say.....

Play them both, and more importantly, listen back if you can, to a recording, and see which you prefer in the mix - keeping in mind that your rig, the venue, etc.....will all impact that.

I have to ask.......which do you prefer to play?
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Frank, I don't have a lot of experience with either one. Some time back, I played an Am. Std. Jazz bass, and it blew me away. When I play bass, I have my 78 Rickenbacker 4001s. It's a lovely bass, but I don't think it has the power of the Fenders. Once, I got to play it through an Ampeg SVT stack, and I reached the heavens. I guess a Fender Jazz or Precision is on my wishlist along with an old Ampeg SVT.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I play bass in a side band and was lucky enough to aquire a '78 Ric 4001. I am really a guitar player, but I absolutely love my Ric. I have an import P-Bass. It is a different sound, and one may be a bit punchier or louder than the other, but once you set the amp up, does it matter?
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Cool. Mine is also a 78. I think I paid $560 for it new. I have played it in metal, rock, pop, country, and jazz bands, and it has always served me well.

Hi every one I'm a newbie here, I have a Mexican J bass does anyone know what I would have to change to bring it up to US spec?

thanks

Welcome Nibb100

I don't think that you can actually do that.....but.......

If you feel that you must upgrade it - pickups seem to be a favorite place to start.

with that being said - my point is - the necks/bodies are typically made just a little different, electronics, Hardware, etc.

In all - they can typically be VERY good instruments as-is. A correct setup - fret dress, etc. will go a long way, and you may want it anyway. THAT.....if everything is all in good working order - would be my FIRST recommendation. I have played many MIM basses that were easily on par with some of my favorites I have gotten to play.
    Kenny Belmont

I've got a real nice playing MIM Jazz Bass that I bought new in 1999. The only thing that I'd consider replacing are the ceramic magnet pickups. Unfortunately, they're an odd size- neither the same as an American bridge or neck pickup, and some routing and a new pick guard would be required.

I still might eventually do it.

thanks guys, probably better to leave alone and play it
    I didn't realise they were that different,

I've been doing some checking and it seems my pickups are a standard size,
    my JB is 4 years old so maybe Fender changed the spec at some stage, so at least I can improve the pickups because I
    suspect the ones I've got are ceramic

They changed them to standard sized pickups early in the millennium.

thanks, that confirms what I thought, I previously changed the pickguard and that was standard Fender

To me,Jazz basses are punchier because of the bridge pickup,and P-Basses are more buttery and warm.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Gravity Jim

Ditto Refin. While either one can do a round, middle of the road bass sound, the things they can do that the other cant.. The P does the thick, muddy Motown thump, and the Jazz does that bright, toppy bridge pickup thing you hear in Jaco's tone. In both cases, part of getting the tone is how you play.

Those early 50's P basses with the single coil pickup are sweet. There is a Japan version and a custom shop version. Both in production. The custom shop one is a bit harder to find. Wildwood and Sweetwater have had them recently.

Bass player I work with has an older Japan Reissue slab body of above model, with an original 1950's rewound pickup, and 1960's era pots and NOS cap. It sounds really sweet.

I've got a bunch of basses, for me a P-bass is the go to. J's are nice, but the simplicity of a P is the beauty of it. If you need more top end get out a pick!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I have two P basses - one is a Am Dlx, but I have 2 J's now (sold one recently) and an SX P/J. The J's have always been my go to's. I htink I just never found the right P for me - thats all.
    Kenny Belmont

Gravity Jim

I love my American Deluxe. The perfect studio bass, it does everything pretty well. I sometimes wish for a Rick, but I can't imagine needing another Fender.

They've all got their place, but I never use my Ric with a blues band cuz it doesn't fit in the mix. I like them all!

The bass player in the band I'm in usually plays one of two Stingrays and they sound real nice. He's got a '68 Tel Bass that I really enjoy. It's got nice solid tone and looks cool. He also has a ('72?) Jazz Bass that is the nastiest thing I've ever heard. The tone is almost obscene. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Those early 50's P basses with the single coil pickup are sweet. There is a Japan version and a custom shop version. Both in production. The custom shop one is a bit harder to find. Wildwood and Sweetwater have had them recently.

Bass player I work with has an older Japan Reissue slab body of above model, with an original 1950's rewound pickup, and 1960's era pots and NOS cap. It sounds really sweet.
    I have this Squier version....

The tone is so simple and honest,even with stock electronics.(of course I might mod it later).....thinking about throwing a set of flats on it.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

MY JAMS--

that is pretty! simple elegance is hard to beat.

SWEET GUITAR REFIN!!! Someone get me a rag!

Wow thanks guys!
    I traded one of my MIM Jazz basses and got this one and some '60s T-top pups.

MY JAMS--

I LIKE it !!!
    Kenny Belmont

Forum Member

This is my opinion based on my ears
    I'm a singing Blues guitarist who had the same bassist for about 20years.

In the early days, there was a lot of R&R mixed with the Blues (just to survive in clubs) and a Precision was the dominant factor because it did both art forms equally well. SVTs with 16 tens knocked heads off and collapsed lungs from db pressure.

Once the real Blues became the singular bread winner, my man got the Jazz Bass. Why?? It seemed to have more bottom end and a fuller all round tone.

That's why even nowadays, I try to secure bassists with a Jazz bass ... but I would never walk away from a P bass either. Get 'em both
    James Brown say: "UGH ... HEP ME!!!"

I'm still torn between one or the other. I'm leaning toward the Precision. But I love the Jbass too. By the time I can buy, I'll make up my mind. Either way, it's going to be the three-color sunburst to match my Strat and Teles--lefties only have the choice of black or sunburst in either bass.

Forum Member

Fender Bass player for 40yrs. No one has mentioned that P-Bass is usually more friendly to larger handed players while smaller hands & ex guitar players tend to go for J-Bass. I have small hands but played upright Jazz music for some decades so I have technique that translates to a P-Bass much better for me. Also many (fretted) bassists play in the middle of the neck, rarely playing open strings. This (IMHO) looses half the fundamental & increases the harmonics on each note. As an upright player one plays as many open notes as is reasonable cause they are your reference to pitch. So I brought that habit over to Ele Bas and ended with a style that I use where I play mostly long string notes. I think it makes much better tone. But that is just the way I do it. Many ways to skin a cat. Wrapping up this is why the P-Bass works for me. Tho it is easier to solo on J-Bass. Food for thought.

Thanks ifshnee22. That IS a consideration for my short stubby fingers. The width at the nut is a little smaller than the P, but they've got the same radius--I mean the American Stds. I'm real close now to pulling the trigger on the Jazz bass.

Close yours eyes and use your ears? Or maybe just close your eyes, toss a rock, and see which one you hit? Make sure to demand a discount as the one you're buying has a "flaw"...

chucko, I played a Jazz in Nashville last year. It was a righty or I would have taken it home. It was so versatile, and it growled at me in a good way. I just haven't had a chance to a/b a Jazz Bass with a Precision.

so many choices -

Definately listen with your eyes closed

try the roadworns too - I don't care who likes, or doesn't - just try them.

don't discount the MIMs - try the classics, try the AM's try the Squiers

find what appeals to you - and makes you play the way you want to sound - that will make you sound the way you want to play too! Or something like that.....

yeah and that discount too.....like Chuck said! Chuck is wise!
    Kenny Belmont

Chuck's a

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Chuck's a
    YES....but what a COOL Dumbasss!!!!
    Kenny Belmont

As chuckocaster hinted, I'm a lefty, and there aren't many choices for lefty basses. And I've never seen a lefty Fender bass in a shop. I can turn a righty upside down--which I did with the Jazz bass. I loved the sound of it and its playability. The only reason I'm vascilating is that the Precision, as I've heard it on recordings, has that great thumping sound that I'd like to have in the Jazz bass. I'm a big fan of Elton's early work: Dee Murray's Jazz bass has the ideal tone. Oh hell, I'll make up my mind one day.

Made up my mind, ordered a lefty Am. Std. Jazz Bass and a Fender Rumble 350 amp. (I've been without a bass amp for about 15 years--usually record my Rickenbacker straight into the mixer).

All should be here anytime between next Wednesday-Friday.

There will be photos asap. Now I'll have 3 matching American Stds in sunburst--Strat, Tele, and Jazz Bass. What can I say? I love these Fender dark sunbursts. Classy.

I'm having a hard time finding a band who needs a guitar, so I may start playing some bass. I started out with the bass and played it mainly until I was in my 30s.

Too much excitement: I've got to stop thinking about it and go to sleep.

I'll be tracking shipping, full of anticipation.

Thanks to you all for the information.

VERY Cool! I think that they are great basses! It took me FOREVER to get decent instruments and gear - but I understand better now. That said - it isn't always the cost - but with the Am Std - you absolutely get what you pay for.

Can't wait to see it -
    VERY Cool!
    Kenny Belmont

Thanks, Frank. I'll have a photo shoot on the first day. How am I going to make it until it gets here...

I was just looking at the specs--it's either top load or through body stringing. What difference does it make?

The thru body is supposed to increase sustain, same as using a badass. I've experimented a bunch, I've gone back to the stock top load bridge. My basses have more than sustain.

Congrats!