Thread: Epi J Bass Rebuild

Epi J Bass Rebuild

So, the tort guard I bought isn't going to work... In fact, EVERYTHING is nonstandard on this bass, save the routes for the pickups. I have to route the neck pocket deeper too, about .150". That's quite a bit! So my quick rebuild has turned into an indepth custom fitting exercise. Oh well, I'll give it hell!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Re: Epi J Bass Rebuild

Finally got myself motivated to work on this beast and get her finished up last night. First thing I had to do was make a routing template to cut the pocket deeper. Really, no big deal, but I was holding off until I had other stuff to route. Everything came together decent enough, I took my time and did everything as good as this bass would allow. Like I said in my previous post, NOTHING is "standard" Fender parts... So it took a little bit more work than normal.

After I got the pocket done I wired up the plate. 25K pots and a .2uf cap. That's what GFS recommends, and I decided to just go with that.

Then I got to the "fun" part! Getting this thing to set up properly... I was going to use a bridge off an 80's Fender bass, but that thing sounded like doo-doo! Seriously, talk about a tone sucker. I had to do A LOT of work on the nut, but that's normal for cheap necks. I filed down the string slots, put a nice angle for the exit slope, and trimmed down the height. I think I'll file down the fret ends at a later time.

After she was all together I ran her thru my Ashdown to hear what I had ended up. Honestly? It sounds pretty good! Not stellar, not breath taking, and in no way the "apex"... BUT! She's a serviceable J bass that I spent $150 on. This bass will have to hold me over until I can afford a decent J. I'm thinking either an American 5 string, or something like that.

Sorry about the crappy pics, but ya'll already know I'm a

"don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Re: Epi J Bass Rebuild

Looks great.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison