Thread: NBPD! (New Bass Parts Day)

Gravity Jim

NBPD! (New Bass Parts Day)

Everything to upgrade my MIM fretless Jazz is arriving today (a day easlier than expected) in the mail.... well, everything but the pickguard, which is from Terrapin and will take a couple weeks.

Gotoh 201 bridge, Straplocks and pickguard screws from Warmoth, and a set of EMG MJ pickups from Bill's Music (the MJ's are sized specifically for these older MIMs and will require no routing or soldering, in addition to sounding great through a DI). I've already got the neck relief dialed in, so now I can do the final set-up, get the neck shimmed and intonation set, and slide the lovely tortoise shell guard in whenever it arrives.

Whoohoo!

Re: NBPD! (New Bass Parts Day)

Keep us up to date onhow the changes go. Maybe I'll be inspired to tweak my Jazz. It really needs nothing except maybe better pickups.

Gravity Jim

Will do. The only thing I'm wondering about is whether to leave off or use the chrome bridge and pup covers the previous owner put on it. The bling LOOKS pretty sexy, but I think it might get in the way.

The bling does look cool, but REALLY hinders playing the darn thing! Can't wait to see pix!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Gravity Jim

Yeah, I'll likely go sans bling. I don't line my guitars up and take pictures of them. :)

Hey, I just got a shipment notice from Terrapin! The guard is already on the way! Whoohoo! I'll have everything by the weekend.

WOOHOO!!!!

Can't wait to see it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Gravity Jim

You and me both! I'm stoked. Haven't had a guitar project in a while, and this one should go together like the best laid plans of the A-Team. :)

I'm really excited about having a fretless on deck, too. Very glad I didn't weaken and buy one of those faux-Jaco Squiers with the plastic fingerboard.

I had no idea they use plastic--that should be illegal.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Gravity Jim

Well, plastic is overstating it. Its an engineered substance they call Ebonol... a high-pressure lamination of layers of black paper and a phenolic resin that is supposed to be very much like ebony wood. I don't have problem with the idea, as the material is probably very stable... but I have read a fair number of problems with those Squier fretless necks.

Gravity Jim

Speaking of necks, I took some 0000 steel wool to the back of the Jazz neck today, mostly to remove a couple of scrtaches that I could feel. The scratches came out in just a couple of swipes, and while the finish doesn't look dulled it feels great.

Ditched the old guts and started cleaning up the body and control plates today, too (the plate looks like new after getting sprayed Windex). It's clear this bass wasn't abused... just neglected. I think the owner probably played it for a year or two, and then let it sit on a stand for 15 years. The body is shining up like crazy, and with a guard and all new pick guard screws, etc., it's going to look better than NOS.

A box of waiting....

Last edited by Gravity Jim; 08-02-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Gravity Jim

I got it set-up and very playable today, although a bit more tweaking may be in order (a thicker shim... I have a biz card in there now, and I think it wants a little more). It sounds great... the EMGs kick ass, and the Gotoh bridge is very easy to adjust and intonate as well as being nice and solid. Terrapin tort pick guard looks awesome. Here are pics!

Looking good! I might need a tortoise guard now!

two words for you Silent J.
    Fender 9120

On a fretless - uh.......yeah!

on the P Dlx.....
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Gravity Jim

The borrowed fretless that got me into this has those strings on it, Frank, and I like 'em. I really want to try a set of TI flats on it, too, as I love what they did to my American PDeluxe (yours is really pretty with that burst and all). I'll probably play it like this for a bit, and thicken the shim when I do the flats or tapewounds.

Both are low tension - it will require a full once over - the 9120s are thick - the bridge might need reamed a little for the E and maybe the A. The TIs sould fit - no prob - but lower tension - re-setup etc.....
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Gravity Jim

I hear ya. The low tension is what I like best about the TIs. Sweet.

That looks great J!!!

Gravity Jim

One last pic. I played it on a production yesterday and it's really nice, with that classic Jazz growl.

You've inspired me J, I'm doing basically the same thing with my Jazz copy. I decided to go with gold hardware tho.