Thread: Jazz Bass Truss Rod

Jazz Bass Truss Rod

I've got a slight concave bend in my neck. The opening for the truss rod is at the neck/body joint, a little half circle opening.

I take it that I have to remove the pickguard or the neck?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Gravity Jim

Re: Jazz Bass Truss Rod

Yep. Probably the neck, unless your bass has an adjustment channel cut into the body (if it does, you can Dremel a small half circle in the pickguard in the middle of the top where it meets the neck so you can access the truss rod without removing anything).

It has a little half circle cut out. I'll have to take the pickguard off and see what's inside. Thanks, silent j.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

If it has that cutout, and it is a Hex - you can use a Ball End hex key with pretty good results, leaving it together. Loosen the strings some first though, if tightening.

If it is a cross tip type - and you have to put any torque on it - you will want to use one of those L or Z shaped screwdrivers. I always use the flat blade, and Always remove the neck. I put a capo on the strings when I loosen them to keep them in place. Its pretty Straight forward once you do it once or twice.

I used to like a lot of relief - but now go almost straight with med/low height.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Gravity Jim

Me, too. Guitar or bass, I like them flat as I can get them and lowest possible action while maintaining a pure string tone. I don't play hard, so I can get away with mighty low action.

I can't have it TOO low - I just don't have the finesse -
    I have been experiencing numbness, tingling and am working to improve technique, and ease of playing - this has helped.

I don't get that vintage tone I loved, but honestly - no one notices but me I think. It still sounds like a bass - so I am good.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>