Thread: Cheap is good

Cheap is good

Recently I bought a pile of gear and trown in was Squire P-Bass and a small Behringer practice amp. I am in a couple bands and I figured the practice amp would be good to leave at rehearsals. I was surprised it is louder and sounds better than I would have thought. The big surprise was the Squire P-Bass. It was unplayable when I got it, but I figured I could use it to adjust my first truss rod. One good FULL TURN on the truss and that neck is damn near perfect. The bass sounds surprisingly good and is very playable. It will never take the place of my Ric, but I will keep it as a spare. I was positive from what I had heard about adjusting the truss that I would have went too far, but it was what the thing needed. With the deal I got, that bass was a freebie. The gig bag is not the best, but I have seen much worse.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Re: Cheap is good

One of the bassists I've ever heard was a dude playing a Squier. The bassist I play with now uses a Behringer, and it sounds great.

So I can dig what you're saying.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Nice price!

I am just glad I didn't ruin it by adjusting it myself. I have always been afraid of trying it. I figured I wouldn't be mad if I scewed up that bass. It was totally unplayable. Even beginners need something that won't hurt them to play. This thing had inch high action and a neck that looked like a boomerang.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Slide bass? I'll let you in on a little secret, (hushed tone) my main gigging bass uses a Squier body... Sounds like you got a good one, congrats! There are some good ones out there to be had. And in the future, I wouldn't worry about trussrods.. The golden rule is "a little at a time", but it takes however much it takes to make it right. When you start to encounter resistance is when you need to worry. But they're adjustable, that's why they're threaded.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Thanks for the tip about the resistance. It was stiff at first, but then there was no reistance. i'll remember that tip for the next time I get brave.

Another thing you can do is loosen, then tighten the rod. That's an old plumbing trick! A lot of times you'll encounter fittings that appear "frozen". So what you do is slowly turn the fitting the opposite way you want to go, and just slightly, before going the way you wanna go. It basically cleans the threads before you actually turn it the direction you want to go. You're dealing with rust and corrosion. Beings this is a somewhat newer bass I wouldn't worry too much. In instances where the instrument is 30+ etc, then it's a good idea to take all precautions.

I learned this trick when I did HVAC. With that you're dealing with galvanized pipe that's been outside getting rained on for 20 years, or brass or copper fittings that have corrosion on the threads from water and such.

Post a pic man, cuz we need proof. Pix or it didn't happen...

I have a really stupid question and did not want to start a new thread for it.
    What are the differences between a Precision and a Jazz bass?
    I am going to get a bass at some point but outside of the additional pickup I don't know.
    If anything I think I want something short scale since bass is a secondary to guitar to me.

Posted here also because I have seen plenty of good players using Squiers.

For one thing, the neck on a Precision is wider at the nut than a JB. As far as sound goes, I think of the P as the master at percussive thud, the JB the master of growl and smooth.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Isn't the Fender Mustang Bass a short scale?

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    For one thing, the neck on a Precision is wider at the nut than a JB. As far as sound goes, I think of the P as the master at percussive thud, the JB the master of growl and smooth.
    Great answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Isn't the Fender Mustang Bass a short scale?
    If so, then that would be for me, right?

Last bass I had and since sold was a Dean 5 string 24 fret.
    I did like it but that long scale is tough to handle.
    Just for goofing off at home, recording.

Mustang, Musicmaster are both short scale basses. You can usually pick one up pretty cheap for goofing around on at the house.

I personally like a P bass with a J neck, as I have little hands.

I don't know if it's right for what you need. I don't know the tonal differences between a full scale and a Mustang. Anyone?

I just think the short scale would place the frets a little closer together, fitting for my guitarists hand spacing.
    After that, I'm not all that picky as long as it sounds OK and the overall quality says "keeper".

Squire makes a Vintage Modified Short Scale Bass.

http://youtu.be/vreOFk2vLes

Tonal difference in this case is more down to pup difference. SS basses won't be as rich or big sounding as a full length scale. That doesn't mean you can't get a decent sound out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut1 View Post
    Squire makes a Vintage Modified Short Scale Bass.

http://youtu.be/vreOFk2vLes
    I like it...a lot!
    The one in that vid looks awesome.
    Chucko, the characteristics might be great for what I need, which would be directly into a rack or board for recording.

Thank you!