Thread: Bass amp and the wife

Bass amp and the wife

Getting ready to do a major setup on my Rickenbacker 4001s. I have used the bass only for recording. It's had the same strings on it since 1997.

Can't get Ms. Ch Willie to agree for me to buy a bass amp. And I'm too happy with my guitars in order to sell one to buy the amp. Ch Willie is going to have to figure out a way to bring in extra income...He's jonesing for a bass amp...and a Telecaster.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Bass amp and the wife

If you just want an amp to fool around the house with, try your luck at pawn shops. Or, maybe a used bass pod plugged into your stereo. At the TT100 house, there are more pressing needs than another amp, but it wouldn't kill us to pick one up. It's more that the Mrs. doesn't get why we need another. She's only supportive to a point.

I have three guitar amps and bought a little Fender for our son's Christmas present. "Why do we need another, we have three?" It baffles her to the point that it's a talking point with friends. "We have three amplifiers in our bedroom."

I've been looking around the garage for stuff to sell but what I've found, no one wants.

Good luck!

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

There's plenty of stuff that can be repurposed as bass equipment...everything except the cab, really. If you look around, you can usually find that stuff really cheap..especially if it's heavy. If it's never leaving the house, weight isn't really an issue.

My basement bass rig sounds pretty decent, and probably loud enough for the gigs I would do, if I felt like moving it. It consists of:
    • Fender PA100 old school tube PA head that was given to me. If I didn't have it, I've got an old, heavy QSC power amp that I could use. With a bit of CL looking you could probably find a power amp for less than $200.
    • Rack EQ unit I had lying around. Probably cost me ~$50 used.
    • Monster Hartke 4x10 with horn bass cab I picked up used at DJM for less than $200. If you scour Craigslist, you could probably find similar in the $100-150 range

If you've been playing for a couple of decades, you probably have most of this stuff lying around anyway.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Screw the the bass amp.. Go for the Tele..

If you can use the bass amp to gig - you will make money if you are a solid bass player. If you are doing it as a hobby - get one, but determine how much you need.

a gig-worthy amp will earn its keep. An additional Tele may also.....but its additional - so it may take longer.

A decent used $200-400 combo that can DI to the Board will pay for itself over a couple of gigs. Being able to put a little more into it is easy to justify to a player, but not always to a spousal unit.

If you could eeek out a few more bucks to get something use-able - it will benefit you in the long run if you intend to gig with it.

Do you have *anything* to put towards a bass rig - money or equipment wise at this point?

Here is a little something down your way.....
    only 100 watts - but a good amp
    http://memphis.craigslist.org/msg/2706720713.html
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

"Suzy? Suzy Creamcheese? This is the voice of your conscience baby, uh... what you want to do now is go buy one of these right away... "

I wish you a bass amp and a new Tele for 2012 !! Happy new year !

America's wonderful !!
    Listen to The Best of Fools on
    http://www.reverbnation.com/c./a4/16/437517/Artist/437517/Artist/link
    & on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by the_best_of_fools View Post
    "Suzy? Suzy Creamcheese? This is the voice of your conscience baby, uh... what you want to do now is go buy one of these right away... "

America's wonderful !!
    TBOF is actually correct on this -

I was just trying to be an enabler in the baby steps fashion

I had a VERY serious mishap recently, and although the money WAS in hand for the PF15 cab......Suddenly, it was not.

This is a GREAT setup. Also very inexpensive in Bass-talk and has "THE" voice.

Maybe 6-10 gigs to pay for it - depending on the room, and pay in your area.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I have been blown away how great this little Hartke sounds---120 watts,plenty of volume and low end!
    as soon as I got it I figured I would take out the aluminum speaker and put in an EVM-12.....wrong! The stock speaker kills with low end.I don't know how they do it.Picked this one up for $150.
    (Shown here with an Ashdown head---I was having a little trouble with the jack on the Hartke,previous owner messed it up,got it fixed).
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    TBOF is actually correct on this -

I was just trying to be an enabler in the baby steps fashion

I had a VERY serious mishap recently, and although the money WAS in hand for the PF15 cab......Suddenly, it was not.

This is a GREAT setup. Also very inexpensive in Bass-talk and has "THE" voice.

Maybe 6-10 gigs to pay for it - depending on the room, and pay in your area.
    The great thing about these class D amps is that you can operate them without a cab. They are equipted with an XLR out. Very usefull if you're into home recording. I bought the (PF-350) head first and got the cab a few weeks later. Cheap but high quality.
    & on Facebook

You KNOW I can't resist, but there's a good point here:

That is, Geddy is one of many who gave up on the giant amps to get his sound, and uses this:

"Avalon U5 DI Box. That signal then goes to Palmer speaker simulator and then goes to one of two different kinds of SansAmps"

Boy, didn't know that about Geddy, and he has a great live tone.
    BOF, I love that Ampeg set up. I've got to try my bass through one of those.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Cygnus X1 is right. Which reminds me, this would also be an option to consider. Works great in my home setup and at my jams.

Here's a sample of a song I made with this setup. Pedal was set to SVT caracter.

Pipeline on ReverbNation
    Last edited by the_best_of_fools; 01-01-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    & on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by the_best_of_fools View Post

America's wonderful !!
    Love the Zappa reference. Thanks man. I may not get the bass amp and Tele this year, but I'm very happy with my present guitars.

All best to you, mate.

So... any new developments in the bass amp/tele saga? We are well into 2012 you know. 2013 is approaching fast.
    & on Facebook

BoFs, I now have much less money to spend. So I'm sticking with what I have and hope I don't have to lose any of it.
    Last edited by ch willie; 02-06-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Oh no! I'm sad to hear this. I wish you good luck. I went through a separation in 2010. Lost pretty much everything, all the furniture and other stuff but I managed to keep all my instruments, gear and most importantly my dignity. My ex is still one of my best friends, fortunately.

Take care.
    & on Facebook

Where there's a will. I've decided to sell my lefty Sheraton II and put it towards either a bass amp or a Tele. That's a way to keep from breaking the bank. The Sheraton's neck is just too big for my hands. It gives me wrist cramps. Nevermind that it sounds great. I've got to have a Tele or a bass amp.
    Last edited by ch willie; 02-06-2012 at 11:47 AM.