Thread: Can you add a speaker jack/112 deluxe plus?

Forum Member

Can you add a speaker jack/112 deluxe plus?

Does anyone know if you can add a jack for an extension speaker to a 112 Deluxe plus? It looks like there may be open spade connectors on the PCB, right near where the main speaker connects. I see that the Princeton has a jack for a second speaker. It looks like these are similar models. I didn't compare the diagrams yet. I thought I'd stop here first. The 112 that I have uses a 4 ohm speaker if that makes a difference.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Can you add a speaker jack/112 deluxe plus?

I have a Stage 100 DSP which is similar in vintage and in some respects to your Deluxe 112. The Stage 100 is equipped with an extension speaker jack, intended to be used with an 8Ω cab (the same impedance as the amp's internal Celestion GT12-100). I'm betting if you changed your Deluxe 112's driver to an 8Ω load you could safely add a parallel-wired output jack to the rear panel and use it with a second 8Ω speaker. The Stage 100 is rated at 100 watts RMS at 8Ω and 160 watts RMS at 4Ω -- the same as the 2x12 Stage 160 (I'm bettin' they're actually the same chassis). It's not a particularly toneful amp compared to my tube rigs but the sumbitch if nothin' else is loud! Fender offered a matching DT-112 extension cab for a while. I put this whole mini-stack together via Ebay shopping for about three hunnert bucks......

Another alternative available to you is to disconnect your Deluxe 112's speaker completely and plug the amp into a suitable 4Ω extension cab.

HTH

Forum Member

Wow!
    Nice set up. Nice piece of wood next to it too! Yes I understand the 2 eights equals four thing about speakers. One of the true head scratchers of the world. The guy that figured that out had to be "wired" himself! I mean, 8+8=16, according to Sesame Street anyway.
    I'm sure it should work. Worse case senario, I make some smoke. I'm not afraid of that. I only paid 15 bucks for this thing on ebay. It had a bad hum that turned out to be a missing solder joint on the filter cap. And it was local pick up, so no shipping. It was win - win!
    Thanks man, Jimbo

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Hay-ell......fer fifteen bucks I'd roll with it too! Those solid-state porch weasels make for a pretty good home practice amp or a grab-and-go quickie for small jams.

Thanks for the kind words. Tha's my five-hunnert dollah MIM gitt -- which has now been transformed into......a thousand-dollah MIM money pit.