Thread: Gibson Thor Bass.....

Forum Member

Gibson Thor Bass.....

I have two complete amps, of this model. And, one completely trashed. I don't mind trashed so much, if the amp chassis/faceplate is intact. This one was.

I used the trashed one as my test bed for experimenting, as well as troubleshooting. My first opinion of this amp was that it was kinda cheezy in appearance. You know, the way 60's amps were trying to make the transition into a more modern look, as compared to the 50's and before. But, looking past the cheezy, I could see that there was a lot of thought put into the build.

So, I approached it as a good amp that could be made better. I added an FX loop. Plus, because it was a fixed Bias amp, I modified the Bias Supply to have a Level Pot. That way, I could dial in the correct Bias current for measured plate voltage. I've done this on a number of old amps, of various origins.

These mods were a success, but one mod that was the best of all was the grounded power cord. Not for just safety reasons alone. If an old amp has the original ungrounded cord, I connect an external earth ground to the amp chassis, for safety, while troubleshooting. In the case of this amp, the chassis ground eliminated virtually all hum. I already had it down to a subtle hum. This took that away. A must on this model amp.

Another mod was to install a thermistor in series with the 'hot' conductor of the power cord, and the fuse. My line voltage typically runs 123vAC. These old amps are buillt around a supply of 117vAC. With the thermistor installed, I measure 118v-119vAC after it has heated up. But, the primary use of the themistor is to limit the inrush current.

I monitor plate voltage and Bias current, when powering up an amp. The plate voltage on these amps can approach 600vDC, dropping only when the tubes begin conducting. The de-coupling caps in the power supply are only rated for 500vDC. After the tubes begin conducting, the plate voltage drops to somewhere between 470vDC and 490vDC.

With the thermistor in place, the plate voltage never went above 485vDC, and dropped to 470vDC, when the Bias current began increasing. So now, I'm running the rated line voltage to the primary side of the power transformer. And, I'm preventing the voltages from going excessively high, while everything is warming up. In other words, I've added a soft-start feature to the amp, which should extend it's life greatly.

I made a schematic of this amp, only because I wanted to document my FX loop and my Bias Level pot:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/dlvv63...ss_-_rev_D.pdf

And, before this essay gets way too long, let me say one more thing about this amp. It has a really wonderful tonal range. Even though it is a Bass amp, the Tone controls are capable of making it a very bright Guitar amp, really nice anywhere in between, and deep Bass on the other end.

So, if you don't mind a bit of cheezy 60's look, this amp is a great one to have. Not super loud, even though it has 6CA7/EL34 power tubes. The pre-amp is a bit tame. Probably did that to keep it clean. Really, really good sounding amp, any way you want to use it.

I will say that for you tech-types who do your own troubleshooting and repair, the chassis is a royal pain to remove and re-install. I'm good at it now, after doing three of them in a row.

Jack

Re: Gibson Thor Bass.....

Pics please of this BOOm God . Gibson....Bass amp.....oh yes I must have pics!
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Forum Member

I haven't made any pictures of mine, but here is a really nice restored one:

http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/Thor.html

Again, it's not a loud amp in it's stock configuration. Maybe twenty watts, as the pre-amp is the limiting factor. There are tweaks that can be done (I did those to my experimental model) to the pre-amp, to really wake it up. Mainly, raising the plate voltages on the 1rst and 2nd stages. Then, I would say it would be good for 40 or so watts.

The stock speakers are not really what I would call Bass speakers. One of mine had the speakers completely missing, so I put some new Jensens MOD series (I forget the number). Those will do it justice. I don't believe the stock ones will stand up to the full power capability of the 6CA7 tubes. Another reason why they may have tamed the pre-amp.

Looking at the link that I posted, his speakers are not at all like the two sets of stock ones that I have. They look more like the Jensen speakers that I put in the one without speakers. So, I'm not sure his are stock. Doesn't matter.

Jack

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Jack, if I'm not mistaken the Thor's OEM speakers were a pair of CTS alnico's. Good for about twenty or twenty-watts each, I reckon.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

WOW very awesome looking amp. congrats
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Forum Member

I just carried one to Church today, to trade out with a Guild Thunderbass head and late model Ampeg cab.

We don't have a Bass player anymore, but I never give up hope. So, I rotate the Bass amp out from time to time. Figured the Thor would be fine for our small Church. Any of the amps that I carry there are a bit overkill. This one may be just right.

Jack

O.K. really I am gonna need pics of this Guild/Ampeg cabinet combo....really......
    Please :)
    T. Roosevelt

Forum Member

Jack, I worked on a Thor amp a few years ago, I believe it had never been apart. It had developed a short in one of the standoffs used in the point to point wiring. I really only repaired that, changed a few questionable resisters, changed PS caps, and installed new EL34 tubes. I put it in a head cab for a guitar player, and sold him a single 12 cab I had with a 16 ohm Celestion speaker. I have the (original?) C10N Jensens that were in the broken cabinet. The speaker date codes are '69.
    After looking at your link, I think my speakers are original, they had that same white, (calk like) sealer.

Forum Member

Bill -

I'll try to remember to look at the ones that came out of the damaged amp cabinet, and see what they are. Two of my amps had identical speakers, and may very well be the ones you stated. I just can't keep simple stuff in my head these days. Any future repairs (assuming that I will rescue more of these Thor amps), I will remove the caulking, and re-install the speakers with the proper gaskets. Makes for a neater job.

VK -

The speaker cab has already been delivered to a young, upcoming Bass player. He's operating on a negative budget, and playing though a Crate 50 guitar amp. I told him that he will destroy his speaker, and to connect this cab to his amp for a test. Fortunately, his speaker connects to the amp by means of a 1/4" phone plug.

Go to this thread:

http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=49027

to see my pictures of a couple of my Guild heads. Maybe this weekend, I can drag all of them out for a family photo. They're heavy devils.

Jack

Forum Member

It's probably a good idea to give a word of caution about what I've observed in all three of my amps.

Again, they are really nice sounding (understatement here) amps. But, it's as if the design wasn't quite finished. The power supply caps are undersized, for the amount of B+ that hits them, until the tubes begin to conduct, dropping the voltage considerably. So, they are doomed to fail. The thermistor on the front end of the Power Transformer resolves this. Expect to replace these caps right off the bat, if they are original. And, install the thermistor.

Also again, the chassis is a royal pain to remove. Unfortunately, these amps don't hold up to shipping very well. The chassis is held in place by four (4) very small headed machine screws. The two transformers and one choke make up for some killer weight. The chassis is guaranteed to rip itself loose from the mounting platform. The only way to ship safely is to remove the tubes, and pack something dense between the top of the transformers and the cabinet top. And, I mean dense. Then, it will remain intact.

I'm satisfied that these amps originally came from the factory by carriers who cared. Boxes were handled as if 'Fragile' meant something. So far, I've found that UPS and the USPS don't care. If I've offended, I'm sorry. I try to remember to tell a seller how I want my packages padded and secured. Most pay attention. Some don't.

However, FedEx has delivered practically all packages intact. We have a local Ship-On-Site in town, and I specify FedEx when I ship. Anything insured for $500 or over is an automatic signature required, on the receiving end.

Anyway, once these amps are restored, they are well worth having. They are real jewels.

Jack