Thread: Pickguard Q

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Pickguard Q

Is there really any diff in quality? I see "Fender" ones for $40 and others for $15...

Re: Pickguard Q

Nope. Sometimes you have to drill some new holes, but they're all covered by the guard anyway. Fender black guard, $40. Allparts, $20. No brainer.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Agreed. I have used the Mighty-Mite pickguards and they are fine, though the holes don't always line up as Telecast mentioned.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

i believe musicians friend has some for 9.99.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

They're pretty much all the same, just shop around until you find the one you like.

I stick with Fender pickguards because the screw holes line up and I'm fickle and sometimes switch back to the original.
    Otherwise, some of the other pickguards available are actually better quality then Fender's.

When I picked up the moto PG for the new MIM strat, the holes didn't match up at all, even both are fender products. Go figure. Had to redrill some holes.
    "Fool me once, shame on..... shame on me... fool me twice... shame on ... shame on... IF YOU GET FOOLED ONCE YOU CAN'T GET FOOLED AGAIN".-Our Good bud George W.

i got a white pearloid nonfender guard and it was JUNK - after a week the pearl layer peeled back around the edges --tried to reglue it but i just would not hold - i used nothing but fender guards now---remember----you get what you pay for----always!!!

TFF Stage Crew

Not all pickguards are created equal, but not all Fender 'guards are great, either. If you are not buying a Fender one, try to get one from a good source like Chandler or that guy that is always on eBay (I forget the company).
    A lot of aftermarket guards don't just have the screw holes in the wrong place; the neck pocket & the location of the route for the bridge has to line up, too. I've seen some that were so off they wouldn't allow the last tone control to even fit in the cavity!

I agree with 71818. I've got a guard on one of my Strat clones right now that is pretty bad. The holes line up fairly well, but the overall dimensions are off. It looks really sloppy at both the neck pocket and the bridge, and had to be tilted slightly to get one of the tone controls into the pocket. I've got two other guards from two different manufacturers that fit the guitar perfectly.
    "Go Team Venture!"

Quote Originally Posted by TonsofBlues
    When I picked up the moto PG for the new MIM strat, the holes didn't match up at all, even both are fender products. Go figure. Had to redrill some holes.
    Are the MIM and American series Strats using different PG hole placements? Might explain why some aftermarket PG don't line up, if there is more than one hole pattern is being used by Fender themselves...

-Mark

Are the MIM and American series Strats using different PG hole placements? Might explain why some aftermarket PG don't line up, if there is more than one hole pattern is being used by Fender themselves...
    That's probably the case. I remember one replacement pickguard maker stating that they'd already seen two or three variations of the Squier '51 guards, and those guitars haven't even been on the market for more than a year or so.
    "Go Team Venture!"

i prefer real fender parts.

and i DO NOT LIKE drilling holes in my FENDER b/c some CRACKHEAD can't trace!.....sorry, NO!

and i've seen quite a few *lic. by fender* products that are NOT accurate either.

i prefer REAL fender parts.

jmmfo [justmymotherfuckinopinion]
    Imanidiot.

So Frank, How do you feel about Allparts?
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

"Fool me once, shame on..... shame on me... fool me twice... shame on ... shame on... IF YOU GET FOOLED ONCE YOU CAN'T GET FOOLED AGAIN".-Our Good bud George W.