Thread: Bridge height, action and etc...

Forum Member

Bridge height, action and etc...

Hey All,

Just got my Am Std (2000) back from the tech. He did a great job on the nut and wiring, but the action just isn't what I think it should be.

His method is to set the trem so the G goes 1/2 step up when you pull back, which set the bridge below 3/32". I asked him about the factory setting (according to Dan's book) of 1/8" he thinks that's too high. Any-rate, the neck buzzes pretty good, even a little through the amp, which is absolutely no good! I think I'm sacraficing good tone for low action. (He had the action on my LP too low as well.)

SO...before I go through with fret leveling. What is the consensus (I'm sure that's a loaded question) on bridge height? I've already relieved the neck a hair, but I need the proper size hex-key for saddle adjustment.

Thanks.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Bridge height, action and etc...

I always start a new guitar with a fret level/crown/polish job. It's one less variable to contend with down the road, during the set-up phase. YMMV......
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

sounds like your tech sets up the guitars to how he plays, not how you play. he probably has a light touch. not saying you're heavy handed, but sometimes low is too low.

a level and crowning is great to do, but sometimes not always needed.

seems to me that you should set up your guitar yourself to fender specs and see how you fair. i don't do a whole lot of measuring, more by feel. what's funny is that i've gone back and measured some of my set ups on fenders, and they ended up be really darn close to specs.. plus or minus granted.

i'd start there, then you can tweak up or down. if you get it as low as you'd like, neck relief is okay but it still buzzes, then i'd say go for the level and crown.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Thanks Chuck, it was funny when I asked him about the 1/8" he was dead set against it, but wouldn't say why...wierd. I'll give that a shot.

I'd do a fret level and all, PM, but just don't have the cash right now, plus I need to find a tech I trust. He does good nut work, but my last guy was a genius...sure do miss him.

Sometimes when you set a Strat's trem over a certain height it can warble, or oscilate on it's own!

I personally think .125" is too high.

I set a Strat's tremolo to about .093" (the thickness of the piece of pickguard that I use as a shim between the bridge plate and body) when I set a Strat's vibrato to float.

I usually set it flat to the body, though.
    Last edited by Don; 11-12-2008 at 07:24 AM.

Forum Member

Interesting about the warble. I set it just below 1/8" and I definitly like the way it plays and sounds. It seems the sustain is better or something I can't quite put my finger on (ha... no pun intended), but the buzzing is also a lot less. No warble, thank goodness.

Just an academic question, Don; I assume since you set the bridge flat your saddles would be a lot higher than mine.

Yes, when I set the bridge flat, I usually have to raise the saddles. If they need to go to high, I shim the neck until they're within the normal range.