Thread: Antique Electronic Supply

Forum Member

Antique Electronic Supply

Just arranged to return a CE can cap (20uFX4 for my Princeton) to AES for full credit toward 4 Sprague Atom axials I plan to strap together inside the chassis to replace. This is the first time I have ever had a problem with Antique Electronics in about 15 years of doing business with them. Hope it's not a preview of coming attractions.
    Can caps are not up to the job, obviously. This is the third to fail for me, and I decided to go with the 4 axials after seeing many online complaints. AES either owns or has some interest in CE, the manufacturer of these can caps, so we'll see if they make good. The CE cap was so bad it generated heat sufficient to make the front panel too hot to touch. I'll keep you posted on this.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Antique Electronic Supply

Three cap can failures in the same amp?

Perhaps the power supply is trying to tell you something......
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Wow! I put one of those in a '68 PR several years ago and it worked out well. I hope they're not letting quality slip.

My Mojotone PR has a JJ 40/20/20/20 in it and it's been great, though it uses a larger hole in the chassis and mounts differently.

Forum Member

I intended to order a new can for my old Airline in my last order from CE, but forgot. I hope your failures were a fluke, as there aren't many sources for the cans.

I've been digging the innards out of multi section cans for years and using non acetal curing silicon to rebuild them with great success...

Electrolytics caps are a funny old business and the only company that I fully trust is Fischer and Tausche and I am not alone... I've never had anything bad from CEDist/Antique Electronic Supply so I'm guessing this is just a supplier letting them down...

Any vintage re-build that I've done has had this treatment and they look great on the outside and work great on the inside... amps don't get the respect that guitars do price-wise so all this business about 'all original parts' is a load of ol' hokey... I'm just getting a good rep for doing good work after 7 or so yrs at it... and many thanks to all who have helped!!

That's my two penneth any road...
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......