Thread: L-series Trem block question

Forum Member

L-series Trem block question

Hi Folks,

Long time no post...

I have a Aug 63 strat with a trem block with an old snapped off trem arm in it. The trem arm snapped off just below the top of the block. It looks a bit ugly and has been there for many years - well before I acquired the guitar.

Anyway I recently took it into a engineering shop to have the snapped-off trem arm removed removed. The guy said his preference was not 'easy-out' it, but rather remove it with a milling machine.

As a consequence I am chasing a trem block drawing or dimensions of the the tram arm hole - specifically the angle, thread diameter and actual depth of the trem arm hole.

Any advice, directions, or measurements , greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: L-series Trem block question

An accurate set of genuine patent drawings for the Strat *might* contain that engineering data but frankly I would think that a small-diameter Easy-Out bit might be your best bet.

JMOOC
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

TFF Stage Crew

Let us know how it turns out, no pun intended. I have a box of trem blocks w/the same problem.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    An accurate set of genuine patent drawings for the Strat *might* contain that engineering data but frankly I would think that a small-diameter Easy-Out bit might be your best bet.

JMOOC
    yeah, I initially tried to steer him down that path but, due to the nature and location of the break, my man was concerned that an easy-out would snap off leaving the bit in the holeimpossible to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
    yeah, I initially tried to steer him down that path but, due to the nature and location of the break, my man was concerned that an easy-out would snap off leaving the bit in the holeimpossible to remove.
    I've done that! Bad, bad news!

Wow, I hope you find a solution. A 63 trem block is as good as gold.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Any decent machine shop can make short work of that problem.

It's a easy job to get it out with the right tools.

A small end-mill would work fine. I'd be inclined to touch it off with an end-mill to spot face it, then drill a pilot for an extractor. When you get the old one out it's not a bad idea to chase the threads with a tap.
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 10-01-2014 at 09:13 AM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I did exactly that to my '65 in '69 an stayed like that for 20 years until I took it to a machine shop. They had no trouble getting it out.