Thread: vintage noiseless wiring and pot questions

Forum Member

vintage noiseless wiring and pot questions

I just bought some Fender Vintage Noiseless Strat pups. They came with a horrible photo copied wiring diagram. On the diagram they had three 100-meg pots used for the volume and tone, but I received two 100-meg and one 500-k pots. I am pretty new to pup wiring and I don't know what to do.

Should I follow a different wiring diagram?
    Should I use different pots?
    Did they send me the wrong pots?
    What wiring and pots do you recommend for some good clean blues tone?

Re: vintage noiseless wiring and pot questions

These pickups were used in the 2000-2003 Fender AmDlx's. The wiring diagram supplied is identical to that used for the AmDlx which can be found here in a much more readable form:

http://www.fender.com/support/diagra...000_02BPg2.pdf

The 500K pot is the volume control. They were originally all 1 meg, but Fender changed that later.

Good Luck!

P.S. If you find these too bright or harsh, try replacing the 1 Meg pots with 500K pots.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by smith85 View Post
    I just bought some Fender Vintage Noiseless Strat pups. They came with a horrible photo copied wiring diagram. On the diagram they had three 100-meg pots used for the volume and tone, but I received two 100-meg and one 500-k pots. I am pretty new to pup wiring and I don't know what to do.

Should I follow a different wiring diagram?
    Should I use different pots?
    Did they send me the wrong pots?
    What wiring and pots do you recommend for some good clean blues tone?
    I think its safe to say you have 1meg pots, not 100meg. The original release had 1meg pots for all 3 postiions. That was very bright and at some point the dropped the volume to 500k. Use the 500k for volume and the 1megs for tones

Forum Member

Yeah i definetly meant 1-meg sorry about that. Is there going to be a big difference between the 500-k or the 1-meg for the volume?

Any recommendations for mods or different pots, caps etc?

The higher the pot value, the brighter the tone. As in my earlier post, try the 1-meg pot and see how you like it, if it seems too bright/harsh try a 500K pot.

You can also try a different treble bleed circuit (the resistor and capacitor that are wired to the volume control). Kinman recommends this circuit over Fender's, though I never tried it:

http://www.kinman.com/html/toneWorks...htm#volumePots

Enjoy experimenting
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

500K on the volume, but my fav setup is 1M audio taper volume with a 1M resistor in parallel with the pot. Gives a nifty taper.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

check for the Fender Deluxe Players Strat diagram... VNs work excellent with those pots