Thread: Looking at a couple of power amps

Looking at a couple of power amps

JUST realized that this should probably be moved - to sound check - sorry

I need more headroom, lighter weight and affordability

Was looking at these to replace a
    QSC PLX1602 - for subs
    QSC GX5 for monitors
    Crest CPX1500 for mains

Might keep some of these as backup but I think I can re-rack a 2-31 EQ, X Over and two of these into my existing rack and run 2 subs, two monitor mixes, mains and basically double my monitor power which would be really helpful at this point.

Peavey IPR2 5000

http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm...%26nbsp%3B5000

2900W RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
    1780W RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
    975W RMS x 1 at 8 ohms
    2525W RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
    1510W RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
    890W RMS x 2 at 8 ohms

I think my entire power rack would be under 50 lbs with eq and xover/rack and the Mixer rack would be about 35 lbs.

Right now - I have the power amps racked separately because of my back - so the Crest is about 50 with rack, the PLX is almost 35 with the xover and rack and the GX5 is 30ish

I know the first generation had heat sink issues, 2nd did better and this 3rd version has a couple of cool improvements.

I was able to get a nice "best price" on these too

Any thoughts? I would love to go with more QSC stuff, but I just can't swing it right now. I can have these paid and then some through work I am doing with them by early/mid summer. 5 year warranty too
    Last edited by FrankJohnson; 04-15-2014 at 07:48 AM.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Re: Looking at a couple of power amps

Can you try them out first? I have mostly mixed using QSC or Crest, here and there I did use some Peaveys. The Peaveys always sounded fine. Reason I ask about the test is to see if they sound as good as what you have now. I understand the back issue, but I personally wouldn't want to save a couple pounds and sacrifice some sound quality. Just food for thought.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I actually thought about that chuck - no place local to throttle one - they don't have them in stock either.

I can always send them back if they don't perform. I actually asked that. I have had pretty good luck with the Peavey stuff for the most part. Cool thing about this if it works.....I can keep one extra amp handy in case I need it - and have "something" anyway......but they should hold up. 5 year warranty too.

I think to do this in QSC would really be cost prohibitive right now - but man.....wouldn't it be nice??
    Kenny Belmont

Too bad you can't, but if they'll let you return them great. I'm not trying to be a downer, just trying to look ahead. Seems like you're already on it.

Forum Member

Alot of new lightweight amps are wimpy in the low midrange. I suspect it is because of the new power supplys designed for lighter weight. I had the off beat chance to compare one of the newer QSC lightweight amps with the less expensive RMX conventional power supply heavy amps. I was suprised at the difference in tone. The RMX sounded wayyy more ballsey in the low mids. Try it some time & see if you too find the same. IMHO

We will see very soon.......
    If the Peavey can't handle the bass - I still have QSC power - but really want to lighten the load.

Had Brent Johnson and the callup in last night - and they sounded STELLAR! I only use done sub for the room - and had one tied in with the drummer monitor so he could feel the kick. I can't wait to add headroom to this setup !!!

I did use the other power amps differently, and sent 750 watts to each monitor, and about that to the crossed over tops FOH. this isn't a huge system, but man - it sure was clean!!!

Soon - if this works out, I will be doing a little over that with two 13 lb power amps - which will be nice!
    Kenny Belmont

OK - pretty stoked - the ups tracking says on truck for delivery today. Doing sound thursday for Anthony Gomes, and then an outside gig Sat and Sun for Pretty big Vets outing.

Re-racking the PA tonight - should result in two racks each under 50 lbs and about 700-800 watts per speaker in two mon mixes, mains and subs. I would like more in the subs, but that is about what my QSC was putting in. I will plan to take one extra power amp in case its needed, but am thinking this will be adequate.

If this works out, my back is really gonna dig this setup. three cables to connect the two racks and then speaker connections - sounds pretty easy.
    Kenny Belmont

You get them racked?

Got one, the other is on back order - will rack it for a triple this weekend.......

I am thinking as monitor one/two amp for headroom - my sub and main amps aren't hurting, just heavy.
    Kenny Belmont

So, what's your verdict?

Sorry for the Delay on this Chuck-O

These are currently in short supply/hi demand.
    That said I received one of two.

I am currently using it on monitor channels 1 and 2 (I only have two with this system)

I do a front line of either 4 ea 12" 2 way monitors or 2 ea 15" two way monitors (Carvin PM 12 or PM 15s)

I also do a Carvin LS1801 Sub and JBL JRX115 to the drummer so he gets plenty of kick in the monitor.

Here are the important numbers from the Peavey website

2900W RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
    1780W RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
    975W RMS x 1 at 8 ohms
    2525W RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
    1510W RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
    890W RMS x 2 at 8 ohms
    2 channel independent, fourth-order Linkwitz-Riley crossovers
    DDT protection
    Revolutionary IPR class D topology
    Detented input controls
    Combination XLR 1/4" inputs
    4 pole twist lock output connectors
    Ultra-light weight
    Individual signal pass 1/4" jacks on each channel
    LED illuminated
    Standby, LED power present indication
    Weight Unpacked: 13.67 lb(6.2 kg)
    Weight Packed: 17.42 lb(7.9 kg)
    Width Packed: 21"(53.34 cm)
    Height Packed: 21.2"(53.848 cm)
    Depth Packed: 6"(15.24 cm)

So I am typically running 625-750 +/- watts to each speaker as opposed to 275-350 with my previous setup. The result has been MUCH cleaner defined vocals, and I hardly ever get asked for more. That said, I still have not figured out how to get more "out front" vocals, as compared to a friends system with less power. Call pending with him.

When the second one comes in, I will probably assign it to subs, and can't speak about that at this time.

According to Peavey - running mains or monitors at 2 ohms should NEVER be an issue with this amp - but subs may make it a little grumpy. No problem.

At this point, plenty of headroom, its clean, no red lighting, and the carvins like it.

Have used it for about 6 shows now, including Moreland and Arbuckle, Damon Fowler, and Anthony Gomes. All said the same thing - absolutely NO issues hearing themselfs, including the drum monitor with Bass, Kick and vocals/guitar/loud harp etc.

will report more after I get more work with it, and of course the second one.

Upcoming this week to continue it -
    Local gig for my band, sound for another band (Diva guy singer needs MORE ME no matter how much you give him) and Mike Zito.
    Kenny Belmont

Cool beans! Glad they're working for you, the trick with PA stuff is overpowering the speakers. You want as much headroom as you can get, within reason of course. That way you have lots of clean headroom. It's sort of the opposite of guitar amplification where you want the amp to distort and compress. Sound reinforcement you want as clean as possible.

Here's a little tip for your monitor mixes: judicious use of EQ is key to having "punchy" on stage monitoring. I normally put the high pass filter on vocals, not many people are singing down at 72Hz. Also, the low mids in the 160-600Hz range can cause "rumble" and a general loss of detail. Another thing to check for is any standing waves or "hot spots" in the room. It seems a lot of places have a problem around 800Hz. That's why it's crucial to have a separate EQ (if possible) for each mix, and from FOH. Now, we aren't always this lucky, especially with smaller systems, but if you can get even a little bit of EQ separate from your FOH mix you'll be better off.

When mixing monitors I ALWAYS use subtractive EQ! No boosting or hyping the "super crispy" frequencies here. That will do nothing but create problems for you. The hardest thing to do is get a good mix that doesn't feedback while at the same time having one that sounds "good" to the performer. If you run into a situation where you need to really dump a frequency, figure out how much you need to pull out, then cut half that amount while cutting out that same amount again only an octave lower. Usually that works, sometimes not. Best thing is trial and error.

Seems like you're working hard and coming a long nicely. Keep at it, use your ears, and you'll do fine. Just like playing an instrument, mixing takes practice and hard work. I think the biggest mistake people make is not mixing musically! I look at it the same way I look at playing my guitar. Because in the end, it is the same thing.

Best of luck amigo!

Ok -
    A little bit of an update -

The 2nd amp has still not arrived - still on backorder. Based soley on the great pricing I got, and experience with the amp so far.....I'm ok and will wait.......

I am using the amp to power two monitor channels from a Carvin Powered mixer, which has two monitor channels. I have been using ch. 1 for the front line vocal monitors.....2, 3 or 4 of them as needed. Its one mix, and they all get the same thing - I understand the best scenario would be everyone getting their own mix - but I don't have it. The second ch. is the drummer channel - he gets a sub, and a JBL15 , so he gets his kick, Bass, guitar, vocals, keys, whatever he wants.

Drummers have been happy with it so far, and the front line has been pleased for the most part as well. I sometimes have to ask for and/or demonstrate tolerance for what is available/requested.

Now - with all of that said -
    Vocals POP and feedback has been minimal. the amp handles 2 ohms well and I don't' think I have had many complaints, except sometimes at the end of the night someone might say they wished they could have had more .......(something)......but never asked.

For a small setup like mine - its pretty nice. A second one will be nicer still. I hope this ends up surpassing my expectations even more.
    Kenny Belmont

Most gigs we're even lucky to get two mixes! Usually it's just all vocals even in the mix, one mix, all chained together... Hey, that's how it goes for us.

Glad they're working out for ya!