Thread: Intonation on wraparound tailpiece

Forum Member

Intonation on wraparound tailpiece

I'm in the process of working out the kinks in my homebrew DC LP Special. One of them is that the bass side bushing hole was drilled too far forward. I have a Mojotone compensated wraparound for the guitar. The intonation on the other strings are all either spot on or just a smidgen sharp but the intonation on the low E string is about half a tone sharp. Problem is that I've moved the bass side back as far as I'm comfortable with backing it so I can't move it any more to flatten it up. I compensated for this last night by tuning the low E a bit flat but I'm wondering if there's anything else easy that may help. Raising the tailpiece a smidgen maybe?

If there isn't anything easy and obvious what about an offset bushing? I've seen these on Google for reissue Les Pauls to move the stop tailpiece into the "correct" vintage position but in my application it may help move the tailpiece back enough to help me nail down the intonation.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Re: Intonation on wraparound tailpiece

I'll try to remember to post a pic of the Junior I used to own later. It had the offset bridge posts with an intonated bridge from the factory.

The high E end of the bridge was way back on the post (further than yours looks in you pics, if I recall) so the guitar could intonate and it worked fine.

The bridge was a little loose on the post so I had the shop where I worked make some little "C" shaped shims to keep it tight and level on the posts.

Like it said, this guitar functioned fine.

Kinda reminds me of your build!

Forum Member

It does remind me of mine as well! Just a bit more of a red tint from the Mahogany. I think I like those knobs better than the knobs I have on my guitar right now. I may but a set and see which I like better.

That treble side is jacked out pretty far on yours. I'll figure out what to do at my next string change. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with pushing mine out much further but that may just be me being paranoid. I didn't make much intonation progress with pushing it out to where it is now so I'm afraid I'll have to push it back further than what I'm able to without moving to an offset bushing. So far I've been able to get by well with tuning the low E a bit flat. Everything else intonates fine.

I love Juniors and Esquires. I just couldn't spend the money on one though. I love neck pickups and middle positions. I'm always flipping around when I play.
    Last edited by tugboat; 11-18-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
    I love Juniors and Esquires. I just could it spend the money on one though. I love neck pickups and middle positions. I'm always flipping around when I play.
    That's why I sold my Junior. It's the only guitar I really miss!

How far off is the hole? Would it be possible to plug the hole and then re-drill it? I would think that would be the best, most permanent solution.

You can buy plug cutters that would allow you create a plug with the proper grain direction. Some careful wood work and spot refinishing and I bet it would be hard to notice, especially with the post flange partly covering the area.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Forum Member

It's not so bad that I'd want to plug and redrill. Right now it's fine just tuning the low e a bit flat. I may try those offset bushings sometime before I try more woodworking.

I suppose the offset bushing is an option, but it may not fix the problem.
    I would probably go the whole hog, and plug and re-drill the bushing holes in the correct position. Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing...
    Last edited by Alex_SG; 01-31-2015 at 11:58 PM.

Tug, maybe we can machine or fabricate an offset bushing, I'm seeing something in my head with an adjustable eccentric. Issue would be if you need it chromed, in which case the moving part solution wouldn't work because it will be hard to adjust for the plating allowance, and chrome tends to flake and mess up works anyway.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Perhaps something like this, but modified for the bushing? http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Trade_...wont_tune.html