Thread: Hot Rod Deluxe / Tame the More Drive

Forum Member

Hot Rod Deluxe / Tame the More Drive

Just got a Hot Rod Deluxe and have been reviewing the modifications.

My main concern is how to tame the More Drive Volume. On channel 2 when I activate the More Drive the volume increase is too much. I'd like the More Drive volume increase to be roughly half of what it currently is.

I'm considering doing the drive pot mod (changin from linear to audio pot) but I don't think thats going to fix my volume jump in the more drive ?

Also since this is going to be my regular amp I don't want to mod anything that will impact reliability. I'm also considering building the volume box any feed back on that ?

Re: Hot Rod Deluxe / Tame the More Drive

Quote Originally Posted by RHART View Post
    I'm considering doing the drive pot mod (changin from linear to audio pot) but I don't think thats going to fix my volume jump in the more drive ?
    It does fix the volume jump. But not anything else sound wise.

Best bet is to put a lower gain tube in V2 (12AT7, 12AY7, etc.) Start there as you don't need to do any soldering for that.

ANY time you remove the PCB to work on this amp, you run the risk of sending it down the road of more failures. It's just how they behave.

Nothing on your abilities, but the PCB is very sensitive. A lot of times they just fail on their own due to heat from stock components.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Thanks NT, After reading all the horror stories reagrding the Hot Rod Deluxe it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
    If I replace V2 with a 12AT7 or 12AY7 is there any bias adjustment required ?

I've olny had this amp 2 days and given all the reliability post about the Hot Rod I'm considering tacking it back and getting the Tweed Blues model. I've read it's basically the same amp, but doesn't run as hot - so I was hoping there would be less future problems and it doesn't have the more drive. I'm basically just search for country tone. What do you think ?

Changing that tube should not affect the bias. The only time you would have to set the bias on your amp would be a power tube change.

If you just got the amp, I would not be making any changes to it other than simple tube changes. Any mods you make will void the warranty and could cause you problems with the board. The only reason I made mods to mine was because I got it used for a great price.

If you have only had the thing for 2 days and your not happy with the sound, just take it back and get what you want.

I liked my tweed blues model better than the HRDx series amps...it sounded more like a bassman, IMO. Returning the HR and getting the Blues Deluxe Reissue sounds like a fine idea to me, unless you NEED the More Drive option.

My thought has always been that if you need a 'more drive' situation, you might be happier with a pedal or two that you can mix 'n' match.

Oh, and as for changing the preamp tube - that doesn't require re-biasing - generally you only need to get the bias adjusted when replacing the power amp tubes...oops, Falco, our messages must have come in about the same time.!

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Forum Member

Thanks guys - I agree with all comments. I don't need the more drive and will probably use a pedal anyway.

So of the two amp which one do you think is more reliable ?
    I'm guessing the Tweed Deville becuase it won't be cranking as hard and produce less thermal stress.

I don't really care about the warranty - just reliability. For what I'm doing they both had pretty good tone for the price. Country Twanging B Bender thing

Blues Deluxe, Blues Deville, Hot Rod Deluxe, Hot Rod Deville...they all have similar issues.

Again, it's the PCBs, not the transformers, tubes, etc.

To be fair, I've also heard a lot of people who get many years of trouble-free service from their Hot Rod/Blues amps.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

OK - For better or worse I'm keeping it. I'm a tech guy but not a tube tech guy, so I'll fix it when it dies.

Which tube would you recommend for V2 12AT7 or 12AY7?

Which compeonets on the PCB would you upgrade for reliability.
    I know thats a big question. But if there's stuff I can do to reduce thermal stress to the PCB it might be worth the effort/risk of disassembly.

Forum Member

Which tube to change to reduce the More Drive V2a or V2b or should I do the pair?

There's nothing wrong with any of the components in a Hot Rod. The board they're mounted too is the problem.
    When I had a Hot Rod, I liked a 12AT7 in v1. Never tried a 12AY7 but I would recommend you try both.

Tommy.

I use an AT7 in V1 also......Ax7 in V2/V3
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by RHART View Post
    Which tube to change to reduce the More Drive V2a or V2b or should I do the pair?
    Those are each one half of the same tube.

-Edmund Burke

I tamed my HRDx with a 12AU7 in V2
    Volume jump is really nice instead of the 12dB boost with the 12AX7