Thread: Duo-sonic comparisons?

Forum Member

Duo-sonic comparisons?

Hey has anybody ever done a head-to-head with the various duo-sonics?

I could get a Squier desert sand Vintage Vibe Duo-sonic for around the same price as a Fender Mexican Duo-Sonic.

I'm wondering which one sounds better stock.

I have played both, but not head to head.

I "feel" like the Squier one has way more high end chime, but then I was running it through a Vox AC15 CC.

The Fender Mexican Duo-Sonic sounded really great as well but it was at another store and through a tweed Fender Blues Deluxe. It was really bubbly and the bridge pickup was like a cross between a Tele and a Strat.

I'd like to go with the guitar that sounds the least like a Stratocaster or Telecaster, something unique. I feel like the Squier is that guitar, but does anybody disagree? Wish I could find a head-to-head video or sound file.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Duo-sonic comparisons?

AFAIK, the principal difference between these models is that the MIM Duo-Sonic's body is poplar while the Squier's is basswood. That may account for the sonic differences, absent any other variables.

HTH
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

The CV's are a classic 24" scale and the MIM ones are a shorter 22.5 or so scale, same as the new squier mini strats. The CV ones are much better overall also IMO.

The scale length makes a huge difference!

The MIM Duo-Sonic's scale length is 22.7" which is very close to the original 1950s Duo-Sonic scale of 22.5". It makes the guitar really slinky playing and plucky sounding. I had one and would recommend the Squier for the scale length increase alone.

The MIM had ceramic magnet pickups that are fairly powerful. Their not real dynamic but it makes a ballsy slide guitar. The pickups were not wired in series (louder in the combined position) like an old Duo-Sonic. I don't think the Squier's are either.

I don't think either has a combo of features that were ever offered one one vintage Duo-Sonic at one time.
    Last edited by Don; 02-08-2012 at 04:57 AM.