Thread: Sticky situation

Sticky situation

Hiya, folks!

My 1982 Fender Bullet resides in the same hardshell case in which it was originally purchased. A few years back, I noticed in a couple of spots in the case what appeared to be the adhesive used to attach the material to the interior of the case was leeching up through the fabric. It has become worse over the years and now large patches of sticky badness have popped up in the case. Two especially large areas are giving me problems, one where the base of the guitar rests and the other where the tuners come in contact with the material. So far, the goo has been easy to remove from the body of the guitar, but it has caused some corrosion on 3 of my tuners.

First, what in the heck did Fender use to glue the fabric to the inside of the case, and second, how can I remove it, short of replacing the case?

Thanks,

Ron
    "What we need are more people who specialize in the impossible "- Theodore Roethke

Forum Member

Re: Sticky situation

Thats a common problem also with plastics like pick guards and binding leching vapors as they dry out and age, not only from adhesives.
    Many a valuable guitar that has beed put away for years in a un-opended dry case as been found to have rust and pitting from corrosive vapors staying trapped in the case.

Steve25,

I agree with an unopened case causing problems, but until I recently bought my Strat, I played my Bullet at least 3 times a week. I am at a loss as to what this gunk is and how to remedy the situation short of buying a new (used) Bullet-only case.

Ron
    "What we need are more people who specialize in the impossible "- Theodore Roethke

It could be humidity issue. One of my Fender cases got left open at an outdoor job where it rained and the glue, whihc is apparently water soluable, came through the lining.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim