Thread: Pickup not...um...picking up

Pickup not...um...picking up

I've been having this problem with my Esquire for a while. Every so often, the pickup just goes dead. It does pick up a very small amount of sound, but at least one switch position is completely silent; the other two make a tiny bit of noise. Leaving it for a while usually fixes it, though I can't say how long I have to leave it (it varies).

I thought it was wiring at first, but I've checked it and it seemed ok. In frustration, I tried adjusting the pickup height.

Then I accidentally tapped one of the magnetic poles with my magnetic screwdrivers and...BAM! Noise again. Could this be a grounding issue or something like that?
    i bet this really annoy's you if your a grammar freak.

Re: Pickup not...um...picking up

Sorry, ignore that. I've been adjusting the pickup height and it cuts out when I try to adjust the screw under the highest-pitched strings.

Shorted winding?

Would that cause the intermittent problem, or completely kill the pickup?

I've been experimenting, and found there are certain heights where the pickup stops responding. Also, there's a point where I can keep unscrewing the screw but the pickup doesn't sink...the screw starts pushing itself up, as if something under the pickup is stopping it (the wiring I'm guessing; I've had a look under the bridge plate and there's nothing else that could obstruct it).

If it was a problem with the winding, would that be repairable or would I need a new pickup?
    Cheers :)