Thread: MIM P-Bass: 2001 vs 2013

MIM P-Bass: 2001 vs 2013

Searching CL, I've found both 2001 and 2013 MIM P-basses.

Is there any reason to suspect a difference in build quality between the two, based solely upon year of manufacture?

Are there any component differences?

Would you expect one to be a better instrument?

Both are in the same price range.

I appreciate that build quality can vary from instrument to instrument, even in the same year.

Although it would be ideal to get both basses at the same time for an in-hand comparison, the logistics of CL make this not likely to happen.

Disclaimer: I'm a guitar player looking for a P-bass for home recording.

Thanks for the input...
    Longevity is the key to success.

Re: MIM P-Bass: 2001 vs 2013

Any chance to play them both? There have been changes made to the MIM line over the years though I don't know the specifics.

However... when I bought my MIM Jazz Bass new back in 1999 there was a big difference from bass to bass, even in the same model line! The sound, playability and quality of finish varied quite a bit.

I think Mexico improved production and Fender gave them the materials to do so. Around 2000-01, the Jazz basses were made of a very light wood, and they just didn't feel as good as the American Jazz Basses. I think it might have been basswood--at least I think that's what we got in Germany when we got MIMs. I am not a fan of basswood, but I'm sorry if I've stepped on anyone's basswood loving toes.

Now the Fender MIM Jazz Basses are solidly made with alder, and the workmanship is not bad at all.

Sorry that I can't speak specifically about the P bass.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

My experience - yours may differ

Many good eras for build quality - some better than others. Ask this question at talkbass and get some more defined answers - opinions, details, etc.

I play some bass, and have owned several, played a bunch and consider myself almost up to the level of amateur.

That said, I still believe each instrument is its own universe, and that the potential is always there for a good instrument, just as it is a bad one. going a step further - setup is huge too. I played a Lakland last night, and it pretty much played itself. Setup was stellar, and I believe as much of that was the owners setup, as well as the instrument.

I say that - to say this.....
    go play several and find Yours. buy it with the neck, the feel, the sound and looks you want. The right bass will find you if you go looking for it. I will do that one day. Until then.....I have some cool ones, but NONE of them are truly THAT bass.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I think Mexico improved production and Fender gave them the materials to do so. Around 2000-01, the Jazz basses were made of a very light wood, and they just didn't feel as good as the American Jazz Basses. I think it might have been basswood--at least I think that's what we got in Germany when we got MIMs. I am not a fan of basswood, but I'm sorry if I've stepped on anyone's basswood loving toes.

Now the Fender MIM Jazz Basses are solidly made with alder, and the workmanship is not bad at all.

Sorry that I can't speak specifically about the P bass.
    I think they changed from poplar to alder around that time. But ch willie's comments show how they vary. My 1999 Jazz Bass is as solidly built as its American made counterparts. In fact, it's maybe a little too well made- the body is so well coated in a thick shiny finish that it looks like it was molded in plastic!

I have played some MIM J and P basses that were absolutely stellar! Mine have not been among them, but the ones I kept are pretty decent. Right now, I think most of mine could be improved by better setup/string choice.

Here is my issue. Sometimes good enough is good enough. And strings, to me should sound like a bass. I am not a tone monster. I have friends who are. They sound great. I think I sound like a bass guy in a band playing bass guitar.

I think too many people obsess with the hair splitting concept of tone. My experience is that much of what you work so hard to dial in in such a finite manner is lost to the sonic culmination of the live gig.

In studio settings, you have more grace and wiggle room to shape, sculpt and massage the ultimate definition of what becomes that final product.

eh......nevermind - you should probably ask someone else....I'm an ass.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>