Thread: 65 Twin Reverb Reissue - Two left power tubes glowing red

Forum Member

65 Twin Reverb Reissue - Two left power tubes glowing red

Have a 65 Twin Reverb about 3 weeks old. Turned it on at a gig and had low volume and thin sound. Loud pop when turned it off and the two left power tubes were glowing red. Found one of the 12AX7 preamp tubes was bad but not sure if it was cause or symptom. Either way replacing it didn't help. Tried a new set of power tubes but the left bank from rear of amp are glowing red within a few seconds of turning the standby swith on. I assume something in the bias circuit has gone stoopid. I haven't pulled the chassis to take any voltages at the test points. I've located the schematic but not a chassis layout. Hoping someone had seen this before so I knew where I was heading. Any help is much appreciated.

Re: 65 Twin Reverb Reissue - Two left power tubes glowing red

Yep, your bias is out of whack.

Is this a 65 Twin Reissue? Not a SilverFace or older, right? If it was a SilverFace, I'd think the bias balance was just turned all the way to one side or something.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Yes...it is reissue only 3 weeks from the store.

Too bad! It's got something faulty in the bias, and you ought to take it back to the store.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Yep....and a fine establishment it is. They basically said to pound sand...all sales final. Was hoping someone had seen this before and could put me right on the issue. The Fender repair station route will take months.

I suppose they now know where the rest of your equipment $$$ aren't going.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks