Thread: Help with "interesting" wiring needed

Help with "interesting" wiring needed

I've done repairs and rewiring on a couple Strat's and have done one custom setup on a Tele. A friend called today wanting to know if I could wire in a three way switch on his Strat...no problem until he mentioned the pickup combo's. P1 bridge P2 bridge/middle P3 middle/neck. I'm not totally sure how to do this, I've only got a vague idea. Does anyone know of how/where everything would be soldered up? And I'm pretty sure the pots are staying put. Any help would be much appreciated.

J

Re: Help with "interesting" wiring needed

Dump the selector switch & persuade him he needs a new scratchplate with 3 mini-toggle switches, then he can have any combination he likes.

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Direstraits View Post
    Dump the selector switch & persuade him he needs a new scratchplate with 3 mini-toggle switches, then he can have any combination he likes.
    You can also get any combo of three p/ups with two Gibbo style toggle switches... that's how all of my Strats (r/hand strung left) are wired - you won't be able to do what you want with a standard Fender style three way thouugh...
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

Damn...thanks though guys.

Forum Member

With the 5 way switch if you add a mini toggle swt and jump 2 terminals on the swt with a small peice of wire you can get the bridge pickup to come in at any time you want, and one more wire doing another jump on the swt will let you get a tone control on the bridge pickup.
    Most folks are very happy just with these mods done to a 5 way swt axe.

Forum Member

Wire it like a tele, ignoring the middle pickup. Convert top tone knob to master tone. Use bottom tone knob to blend in the middle pickup. When the bridge pickup is selected, dial in the middle. When the neck pickup is selected, dial in the middle. The the bridge/neck combo is selected, dial in the middle. This is a great setup.

Stew Mac sells a 5 way super switch which has 4 poles. You can wire pretty much anything imaginable on that.
    s'all goof.

I think this could be solved with a 3 way switch and a couple of jumper wires, using both sides of the switch to select various pickups.
    Then Play On