Thread: the silence of the strat

Forum Member

the silence of the strat

Hi

I found this article about how pickups are antennas and how to silence the hum in a strat.

http://urthman.jsent.biz/music/silence.html

I figured out a wiring diagram, because I didnt understand very well the one provided, but it didnt work. Maybe because my 5-way switch is different. It has only one side. It came with my MN4 Fender mexican stratocaster "squier series" .

I tried to contact the guy who wrote it he but didnt get back to me. And didnt found any other pages with a reference to this link.

Please take a look and let me know.

Forum Member

Re: the silence of the strat

I read this article, and I have a difficult time believing it. Let's look at this quote:

He suggested that a one-of-three pickup configuration should be a bit worse than a two-of-three configuration, and a guitar with only one single coil pickup installed, or all three pickups engaged, should not have this problem at all.

If I understand this correctly, a single pickup Esquire should not exhibit the problem noise. My Esquire is as noisy as my Tele.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Collins View Post
    I read this article, and I have a difficult time believing it. Let's look at this quote:

He suggested that a one-of-three pickup configuration should be a bit worse than a two-of-three configuration, and a guitar with only one single coil pickup installed, or all three pickups engaged, should not have this problem at all.

If I understand this correctly, a single pickup Esquire should not exhibit the problem noise. My Esquire is as noisy as my Tele.
    Yes, that made me think too. But I have never played a tele, so I couldnt know... But I did try it with only one pickup and of course, it gets noise...